No announcement yet.

Jennifer's Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear you, but here is the thing, I am second owner, the first owner owned it for about a year, it is an '81 and I bought it in '82, with 15 000km on the clock, so most everything that has been done on it, has been done by me. I doubt the splines would have been replaced after a year??????? Guess stranger things have happened.
    What may have happened, is there was a recall on the gold splines, so at pre-delivery inspection, they whipped them out, put in the updated one, and Suzuki picked up the tab.
    I remember pulling gearboxes on 1.1 Fiat Uno to sort out slop in the gear shifter. This is the stuff the proud owner of his shiney new car, never knows about.

Comment

Just reading your rebuild story, and see the silver spline on a 1981 model. I have also just removed the spline on my 1981 model GS850G (which I bought new in Cape Town) for the first time, and it was also a silver one. So somehow the 1981 models here in South Africa appear to have been fitted with the silver splines from the factory, otherwise I don't know why our bikes did not have the gold spline that seems to have been fitted for USA in 1981. Keep up the good work with story and pictures - I will follow your progress with interest!
      1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

I guess you may be right, the various models around the world all came out different spec, it is very possible that the South African bikes got the silver splines as standard.
        Is that 850 in your avatar factory original with the two tone light blue, dark blue and silver cosmetics, as I recall, that was never a South African paint scheme, that was for the U.S martet, I think.
        Have you got a bigger pic I can see?

Comment

Yes, that was original colour scheme. Sent you some bigger photos on your e-mail address - too big for here (or maybe I just don't know how to post three 1MB photos here!)

Comment

After what seems like forever, I managed to get some work done on Jennifer today, nothing grand or pic worthy, just stripping all the bits and pieces off the frame, getting all the parts that need to go to the powder coaters ready.
            So far, this is what I am having powder coated;
            Frame
            Swing Arm
            Top and bottom triple clamps
            Battery Box
            Side Stand
            Center Stand
            Engine Mounts
            Rear Brake Torque Rod
            Have I missed anything? If so, please let me know.

Now, here is the thing, I don't want to use my bolts to plug the holes that they thread into, and I don't have any others just lying around right now, would it be OK to let them powdercoat the whole shebang and then run a tap through the threads to clean them up during assembly?

I will post pics as soon as I get the stuff back.

Comment

Ok, being a public holiday here today, I indulged myself and spent it working on Jennifer.
              Until now I have been busy with the frame and associated pieces, carbs and airbox.
              The plan was to build her up to rolling chassis and do the motor last, but after some consideration, I have decided that is not the best way to go, as I know that trying to lift the motor into the frame is going to leave scratches for sure, so I have decided to turn the whole shooting match on its side and place the frame over the motor, so as soon as the frame is painted I need the motor to be ready so I can fit it, I think it would be a bit stupid trying to lay the completly assembled bike over the motor.

So today I started stripping the motor, the first time it has been opened in its 30 years and 375 000Km, so I was keen to see what the state of the internals were.
              Got the head and barrels off and stripped down to the castings, considering her age and milage, everything looked in pretty good shape, I was quite pleasently surprised, not sure why, we know these motors are bullet proof.
              When I read about big failures in these bikes with less than a quarter of the milage, I find it hard to comprehend what abuse their owners must have put them through.

Anyway, found the usual, expected faults, three of the exhast valves leaking after filling the combustion chambers with thinners, although very slowly, just enough to show wetness on the valve stems after standing for about 10-15 minutes, all intakes and one exhast valve seal perfectly.

the intake bot O-rings were hard as plastic, as expected but not yet leaking.................yes, yes they are going to be replaced as a matter of course, as will a decent valve lap on all the valves.

Both the timing chain tensioner and Thaco drive were dry, no oil leaks there, exhaust bolts all good, none stripped or broken off.

Attacked the castings with a wire brush and Clean Green, getting them ready for media blasting and painting.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                The plan was to build her up to rolling chassis and do the motor last, but after some consideration, I have decided that is not the best way to go, as I know that trying to lift the motor into the frame is going to leave scratches for sure, so I have decided to turn the whole shooting match on its side and place the frame over the motor, so as soon as the frame is painted I need the motor to be ready so I can fit it, I think it would be a bit stupid trying to lay the completly assembled bike over the motor.
                I believe Matchless used a trolley with two battons (wooden rails) fitted over the frame (padded I suspect), then slid the engine from the trolley into the frame and lifted the engine with a jack to remove the battons.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

As Rustybronco said. I also did not need a second person to help.

Powder coating the frame is the way to go. If you can, do the brake parts as well as it does not lift easily if brake fluid gets on it.
                  If you have not done it yet, rather mask as much as you can with old bolts and bits of aluminum sheet (flashing). Some paintstrippers will soften the powder coating and you will find the tap tends to crack the edges of the P/C and could be a real schlep to clean out.

If those carbs are an example of what you plan to do she is going to be a beauty!

If you need any info, I have a lot of technical information I archived when doing mine, which is the 1980 model and exactly the same as yours except for the paint, decals and flashers. Just give me a shout.

Comment

Thanks Andre, will do, and am busy sourcing your vents, I have not forgotten.
                    Anyway, I know we all like pics, and the internet connection at home is so poor, it is a real PIA to upload pics from there, so I do them here at work.
                    Here are the pics of the engine tear down, well the top half anyway...enjoy.
                    Any comments on something that looks out of place or amiss will be welcome, please let me know your thoughts.

Anyone got any idea what casting is all about or what it sands for?

Comment

Comment

Intake boot O-Rings, flat and rock hard, but still intact, amazing.

Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2011, 11:06 PM.

Comment

I am sueing you for plagerism...lol. Your engine looked just like mine did. It is much cleaner now. I have been a little busy to work on it lately but hoping to get it done soon. I just need to wet blast the cylinder and head unit so I can get em painted. Keep up the good work.

Paul

Comment

No, damn you, Paul, now I can't even clean my motor, because it will look like yours again, and you will sue me for a second time.....

I know all about not having the time to spend on the bike, life just keeps getting in the way, frustrates the heck out of me, I am so far behind, I may be riding in 3 summers from now if I am lucky, we are just going into winter here now, so was hoping to have it all done by the time spring comes around again in September, but we will see.
                            In my case it is also mostly a case of not having the $$$ "Time" $$$ to carry on.

Comment

Internals actually don't look too bad at all, considering the distance she's covered. I am surprised that there's not more carbon on the pistons - especially around the outer edges.

You're nearly ready to start measuring clearances etc. to determine what to replace. Don't forget to check the valve guide clearances as well. She's going to run good as new again!

PS: Are you going to change your avatar after our sad performance on the field yesterday?
                              Last edited by 2BRacing; 03-26-2011, 08:28 AM. Reason: added PS

Comment

Hi Ben, yep time to go out and buy a nice micrometer and get down to measuring, I was pleasently surprised at the good condition of the motor, but then again, I have looked after her, I suspect a valve lap and a new set of rings should see everything back to factory tolerences again, I will check and mic everything on that motor and then some, anything that is out of tolerence or close to it, goes and gets replaced.

Just goes to show, bikes like to be ridden, bikes that stand give all the headaches, and that goes for anything mechanical, I see it with planes all the time, the planes that see the light of day and come out of the hangar once in a while, give all kinds problems, but the school aeries that spend eight hours a day in the circuit, never give any trouble at all.

I was also surprised at the lack of carbon on the pots but I do rid the snot out of it from time to time to clear the cobwebs, and she also lived on Avgas for half her life, maybe that has something to do with it?

PS: Are you going to change your avatar after our sad performance on the field yesterday?
                                We won't go there now, will we.............
                                At least the Aussies are on their way home as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X