No announcement yet.

Jennifer's Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And installed nice new shrink sleeving and good spade type terminals.

Out with the old

And in with the new

Where did you buy your connectors ?

Comment

hubbardmt, you should be able to pick them up from any auto parts outlet, I know a lot of the guys on here get their connectors from Eastern Beaver.

Ok, so today, spent most of the day reassembling the right hand switch.
      after spending a good amount of time on all fours looking for pinggones, trying to grow 47 hands with 167 fingers to hold it all together, just as it was all coming together...."crack" and I was back to this......

yep, i think I was a little ham fisted and the board let go where it had been glued.
      So I have been busy all day and am no further than I was a week ago.

The motivation died a very sudden and sure death right there, I locked up for the day.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2012, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Bugger Stan! So frustrating when that happens, and definitely best to go crack a cold one and give it away for the day...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hehe, I did almost the same thing to mine Flyboy. I just stood there for a few minutes wishing I could rewind the tape...
          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that Stan. Is it able to be put back together or do you need a new one? If so, let me know before Tuesday and I'll try to stop by the wrecker in Denver on my way up to the lawyer's.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Stan,

I have a spare switch circuit board piece. You can have it for free, just pay postage which is $17 USD.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Many thanks Ed, PM sent, please reply with your Paypal, I am not sure if I still have it, will get the cash off to you in a flash, you can just mail it to Dale for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                  trying to grow 47 hands with 167 fingers to hold it all together
                  Stan, I used dielectric grease to hold everything together while I stuck it back into the housing. Ask your avionics shop for some DC4.

BTW. We are making and selling the hell outta the King Air T-Tail inspection panels. Commission for any sale you line up in Africa.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Hi Dave, yes, I think I will pay a visit to Dart Aeronautical, the avionics guys next to us and see if I can scrounge some.
                    Well I could not carry on with my switch due to the broken circuit board, and have decided against trying to repair it again. Thanks to Nessim I have a new (to me) one lying in Michigan, many thanks Ed, your marker has duely been banked. So seeing as my board and decals are lying in Michigan, the switch has been relegated to a shelf in the back of the garage, but no worries, plenty to keep me busy.
                    So I hauled out some of the little fiddly bits that seem to take up so much time towards the end, you know the ones.
                    I only got into the garage late, so only spent about 2 - 3 hours working on the bike, but "something everyday", hey Pete.
                    Foot pegs and rear brake actuator and brake switch got done today.

Started with this;

Hit all the steel bits with the brass wheel and was going to hit them with a few coats of paint, then thought, phhaaaaa, where is the fun in that, the difference between a good restoration and a stunning one, is in the detail, and I have been wanting to try out a few new ideas polishing steel, as opposed to the aluminium pieces we normaly see here, so fired up my new bench grinder with the fibre wheel and broke out the rouge and 2 hours later......

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics, didn't have my camera in the garage today, and they don't really do justice, but I did manage to get a mirror shine, just to prove it, here are two reflection shots.

Many thanks to Dale for the front foot pegs that are in like new condition, mine were pretty far gone from scratching.

Comment

Nice! I've been polishing all my aluminum parts with the brown... but never thought to try it on steel! I may have to play with this! I have a ton of rouge that I never use.

Comment

I've done it sand you're going to be at it every second or third day unless you've clearcoated. Took no time at all for mine to start to rust. Of course we're in a really salty, damp air here too. The automotive industry calls us the Rustbucket or North America. During the depressing late 70s in the car world - new cars would rust within a week. Any suspension part would show it real quick.

Good luck. It looks stunning doesn't it?
                        1983 GS1100E

Comment

6pkrunner, I hear you, been running that around in my head, will see how it holds up, Jennifer is still months, maybe a year away from seeing the road, so I will know before then.
                          I can imagine in Nova Scotia you could rust the ass off a donkey, luckily I am at 5500' above sea level, 600km from the coast, very dry climate, no rust up here.
                          I am not a fan of any sort of clear coat over a polished surface, if they do start playing up, I will just chuck them in the chrome tank, but I think a once over with Brasso every other week should keep 'em good.
                          Danny, green rouge is the one to use for steel, if you want to do it properly, start with white rouge for a medium finish, then finish it off with green rouge, you will get a mirror shine in no time.
                          I spent no more than 10 minutes with the rouge on each part, the whole job from the first pic took me about 2 hours, and that included drinking beer, jacking up a few smokes and washing and cleaning the rubbers and treating them with silicon spray to keep them supple.

Comment

I am going to keep my comments about keeping the rubbers supple with silicone spray to myself........

But the footpegs are real darn purty.

Paul

Comment

Hahaha, Paul, I know where you are going with it, no worries, it is just a spray on, wipe off deal (more to make them nice and black again than anything else, but that's my official excuse)

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                                So seeing as my board and decals are lying in Michigan, the switch has been relegated to a shelf in the back of the garage, but no worries, plenty to keep me busy.
                                I'll pop them in mail in a couple of days, then there will be no excuse will there?
                                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                                X