No announcement yet.

Jennifer's Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was getting a bit worried too, thought those busybodies (polite terminology) had stuck the oar in again !. Anyway, been enjoying following this rebuild, giving me inspiration and kick up the backside I need to get on with my 750. She has been off the road a year now, gathering dust in the garage !.
    "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
    1978 GS750
    1979 GS750 chop
    1979 GS550
    2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
    2000 Enfield Bullet 500
    1992 XV750 Virago
    2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Your work is amazing! I'll be following closely, hoping to see Jennifer on the road sooner rather than later!

Comment

Took me the last 2 days to read this. So inspired its an awesome build. Keep going. I would love to come past and take a look.

Comment

Just go balls out and fvck the home owners association....youll have her done before all the scheduled meetings and arbitration....stall them off and just get her done. By cover of midnight if need be.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            just get her done. By cover of midnight if need be.
            Don't worry, he is... He's also in the parts acquiring stage as we speak. I have his seat, a spare harness, four turn signals and 'possibly' a left hand control that our postal service was so gracious to loose along with the NOS case emblem you sent me. Plus there's a certain 318i camshaft that went out to lunch never to come back. I'll let him tell you about that one.
            Last edited by rustybronco; 06-26-2013, 09:56 AM.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks for the words guys, Faulty, you welcome, we need to get together and suck on a few cold ones, and talk loose women and fast motorcycles.
              I am no guru and without this crowd of misfits would not even be half way.
              Good guys, all of them.
              Special thanks to Dale who has been a trooper of note.
              Yeah Chuck, getting there slowly, just when you start gathering momentum, something always comes up to break your speed.

Said camshaft that went out for lunch.

Comment

HOLY BALLS! How does something like that happen?? How badly damaged is the rest of the top end?

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                Said camshaft that went out for lunch.

Comment

hahahaha, Marc, believe it or not, that came out of a running engine, down on power, and running on half its pots, but running none the less.
                  The rest of the head is fine, you can see the cam journals are unmarked, there is a spraybar that lives above the cam that supplies splash lube to the lobes, these holes clog up depriving the lobes of oil.
                  New parts have been bought, tomorrow is going to be spent dropping in the new cam, so I should be mobile again by tomorrow night.

Comment

Ok so oday was spent assessing engine wear to put together a shopping list for parts (praying profusely for miracles because $$$ is non existent at the moment)
                    However, being the realist I am, I prepared myself for some scary measurements and worn bits, remember, this motor has done just on 375000Km and never had more than the valve cover off for valve adjustment.
                    So today I measured the ring end gaps, hoping that if they were not too far past service limit, a fresh set of rings will bring them back into limits and I can avoid a rebore,
                    Now, in 30 years of riding GS motorcycles, I have seen most of it, and seen it twice again, and like most folk here, have a healthy respect and loads of admiration for the GS series motorcycle, and its bullet proof engineering.
                    But just when you think you have seen it all, there is always something that blind sides you and leaves you shaking your head in admiration, today was such a day.

First thing I need to make clear is that I measured the ring end gaps with the old rings that came out of the motorcycle, not new rings, yes, the ones that have done 375000Km.
                    On to the results.

Factory spec on the first compression ring is 0.15mm with a service limit of 0.70mm
                    All first compression rings all measured exactly the same at..........0.35mm

Factory spec on the second compression ring is 0.35mm with a service limit of 0.70mm
                    All second compression rings all measured exactly the same at..........0.55mm

With 375000Km old, worn rings, these GS motors never cease to amaze me, UN - FRIKKEN - BELIEVABLE.

Needless to say I am a happy camper today.

I really do not expect any nasty surprises as the tear down continues.

Comment

That is simply amazing! How do the piston skirts look? I have a spare set with extremely low Km's on them Justin Case.

Comment

Skirts look good, will snap some pics tomorrow, camera's batteries are on charge now.

Comment

With ring measurements like those, I suspected they would be in very good nick.

Comment

Hi Stan,
                            Followed the notification and opened the page with the cam photos and thought it was from your bike!! Then read the words and see its from your car! I would keep that cam and mount it in the garage, quite a conversation piece!

Is your GS still using standard size pistons?

Comment

Good news Stan...
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yep, standard pistons, first time the head has ever been of that motor.
                                I reckon that cam makes a good traditional weapon.
                                Good news indeed Scott, the less I need to spend, the better,

Comment

Working...
                                X