No announcement yet.

Jennifer's Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a whole lot to share this week, no work done, as I need to procure small end circlips to hang the pistons back onto the rods, and I just had no time this weekend to get to the lawn mower place.
    Sorry Dale, just have not managed to get over to the workshops at the airport to mic those shims either.

However, I did manage to get a line on alternate rings for Jennifer, so it looks like she is going back together with a new set of rings...
    Which I feel much better about.
    Thanks Andre (Matchless) for the lead, managed to find Fiat Palio rings at Alert Engine Parts for 150 ronts a piston, or about $10.50 in Dale's money.

And now I am off to do a restoration job on a 20yr old Kirby vacuum cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post

However, I did manage to get a line on alternate rings for Jennifer, so it looks like she is going back together with a new set of rings...
      Which I feel much better about.
      Thanks Andre (Matchless) for the lead, managed to find Fiat Palio rings at Alert Engine Parts for 150 ronts a piston, or about $10.50 in Dale's money.
      Yes, mine was from Alert as well. I also got a set of Datsun brake pads B155 from Midas (set of 4) for R90. Just need to have them skimmed down to 10mm somewhere sometime. Thanks.

Comment

Andre, your local brake and clutch place should be able to do it for next to bugger all.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
          Andre, your local brake and clutch place should be able to do it for next to bugger all.
          Thanks, I will pop in and ask them to do it.

Have you measured the new rings and compared the end gaps in and out? At least you will not be so devastated if you mangle an oil scraper when getting the pistons into the bore!

Comment

Ain't bought them yet, just sourced and priced.

Comment

Hey Doc, got a chance today to measure the shims, results as follows

Intake

1. 2.56
              2. 2.54
              3. 2.46
              4. 2.50

Exhaust
              1. 2.58
              2. 2.56
              3. 2.56
              4. 2.70

Comment

With the valves and seats in the condition shown, those numbers look to be in the range I would expect to see.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Woooo Hooooo, parts for Jennifer........many thanks Bwana Chris, can never thank you enough.

Brand new screen for my "S" fairing

Handle bar switches, with the writing still in good condition.

And the the golden Unicorn, a full decal set in Jennifer's original colours.

Comment

Awesome news Stan!
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I don't envy you positioning those decals, there must be a secret way to stop them sticking while you manoeuvre them, I'm not sure the soapy water trick will be good enough. And the soap might react with the lacquer.
                      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Chris, hopefully Larry will pop in and share his wisdom.
                        But I am sure soapy water will be fine, just let i dry properly and give it a good wipe down with a lint free cloth before laying down the clear coat.

Comment

Larry once posted about a decal application spray from the paint supply places that leaves no residue like soap water does Much easier to clean up and ready for the clear.
                          Last edited by chuck hahn; 11-28-2013, 09:31 AM.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks Chuck, I have to pop into my paint supplier on Saturday to buy paint for a Honda Africa Twin I need to paint, so I will ask them about it while I am there.

Comment

How's everything else with the rebuild coming then? How's the association been with your work?
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Stan has an alternative location.
                                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                                X