No announcement yet.

Jennifer's Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey I just spent nearly the whole day reading this thread (don't tell the wife though). You have done exactly what I am doing now (http://suzukigs1100.blogspot.co.uk/ and http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=199361) but what an inspiration you are.

There is something religious about what you have done and I (and others that are on this thread) have been moved by you tenacity and determination to get this done.

Projects like this take years and a dedication and attitude that you do not meet on the street these days.

Simply stunning. But what has happened since the 29th of July?

Please keep going.
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
      Hey I just spent nearly the whole day reading this thread (don't tell the wife though). You have done exactly what I am doing now (http://suzukigs1100.blogspot.co.uk/ and http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=199361) but what an inspiration you are.

There is something religious about what you have done and I (and others that are on this thread) have been moved by you tenacity and determination to get this done.

Projects like this take years and a dedication and attitude that you do not meet on the street these days.

Simply stunning. But what has happened since the 29th of July?

Please keep going.
      One thing He did do since July is buy a 1983 GS1100GK.

I'll let Him tell you the rest of the story. You'll like it...
      Last edited by rustybronco; 09-12-2012, 03:46 PM.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Darn I was waiting with baited breath to see what he did inside the motor. Have I missed it on another thread?
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

No sir you didn't.

I do know He took an overhaul gasket set for Jennifer back home with him when he left the states this past August.

Comment

Ahhhh!!!! WHAT HAPPENS??!?!??! THIS IS SUCH A GOOD THREAD!!! DID YOU GET TO WORK ON HER?!? DID YOU FIND THE OLD MAN THAT RATTED YOU OUT AGAIN!?!? I CAN"T TAKE THE SUSPENSE!?!?! WHAT HAPPENED TO JENNIFER?!

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
              Received a nice little love letter under the door again last night from the board of trustees/body corporate of the complex I stay in.
              According to conduct rule 5. para 5.3. sub para 5.3.1 I am in violation by carrying out "major repairs" in my garage, and am ordered to cease any such activities with immediate effect, due to "more complaints" being received.

Looks like Jennifer is going back into boxes for the foreseeable future and this thread can slide off the board.
              Man you should live where I do! Course I didn't ask if I could do this yet and I have the carbs pulled and rebuilt at the moment. Haha

Comment

I'm rebuilding my forks and want to say thank you very much flyboy for the step by step photo guide on rebuilding them. I was even going to use your very ingenious way of holding the 19mm to get the allen screw out but then I thought about a spark plug socket. The smaller one is shaped like a 19mm bolt and you can put a ext. through the inside of it to hold it in place.

Comment

Hi Guys
                  Thanks so much for the kind words, it means a lot to me.
                  Nothing special going on here though, just trying my best to turn Jennifer back into a semi decent ride again, with a lot of know how I have gained from the good folk here on the GSR.
                  You would have read about the condo Nazis and how they have tried to put a screeching halt to any work on her.
                  Anyway, all things work out in the end and in hindsight it could not have happened at a better time, as I had already put plans into place to hop across the pond and visit Dale (rustybronco) end of July and drag him kicking and screaming off to the annual Oshkosh air show, so the plan was to put Jennifer's makeover on ice for a few months anyway, due to the wallet only being able to stretch so far. So all coin was being put towards the trip.
                  So it all worked out, because it has given time for the dust to settle with no activity and the Nazis to return to their mundane dull lives and forget about me.

However, you will be pleased to know that I have adopted a FVK 'EM attitude, and as of this last weekend, work has once again resumed on Jennifer.
                  Updates to follow soon, as soon as I have something picture worthy.

You remember this........

I have been avoiding it for too long now, so first order of business is to transform it back into something that loosely resembles a wiring harness, and hopefully gets a switch or two to actually work.

The GK, ahhhhh yes, Nancy, Jennifer's younger sister, well long story short, there must have been cerebral malaria or alcohol involved there, what idiot buys 500lbs of steel that is 10 000 miles away, sight unseen, and only then figures, hang on a minute, how the hell do I get this thing across 8000 miles of Atlantic ocean?
                  Eish, these people from the colonies, not too clever...
                  Someone posted an ebay advert for a GS1000GK for $600 buy it now price, with an auction starting price of $300, I think it was GS1000G Shopper if I remember correctly.
                  The only picture of the bike was "supposedly" eight years old, and it was described as "engine bad" so understandably no one wanted to touch it with a ten foot pole.
                  I didn't want to slide in on someone else's find, and for the above mentioned reasons, it is not practical anyway, so I just followed the thread along from the sidelines. But I looked closely at the picture and decided that the date stamp was not right, as things didn't add up, and I figured that the picture was recent and not eight years old, the give away........
                  The date stamp was 1/1/2004, bike was situated in Milwaukee.

Now even my rudimentary geography tells me that New Years Day in Milwaukee is a hell of a lot whiter than that, there is a serious lack of any evidence of that horrible, cold white stuff you are so cursed with during winter, and a date stamp that has not been set, defaults to.......1/1
                  After a chat to Dale about the "bad motor" we decided, how much can actually go wrong with a GS motor?
                  Oh it supposedly had a bad knock and leaked oil.
                  With a day to go and no bids, I thought FVC it, and dropped a $300 bid on it...........next day I get a message, "YOU HAVE WON AN AUCTION" , ok, now what?????
                  Dale of course, could not keep his hands off her, and tells me two days later, phaaaa, the "knocking was just a bad timing chain tensioner, fixed already.
                  Although the head and barrels had to be pulled, as the oil leak turned out to be the base gasket.
                  She is currently squatting in Dale's garage, soon to move to the new shed, I understand, now to get her home, before she out stays her welcome.
                  I think she has already........

Comment

Good to hear things are back on track Flyboy. Great find as well. It's so cool to have a hobby that doesn't brake the bank relatively speaking. Love these GS's!

And hey, I just built a new shed myself. Now I have much more room for my two wheeled "stuff" lol...
                    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Good one, Sci....
                      I just built a new shed myself. Now I have much more room for my two wheeled "stuff" lol...
                      And the pictures would be where??????????

Comment

Flyboy goes International.

Do you want to bid on this one too:

Ebay UK Suzuki GS 750 or this one looks good:

Ebay UK Suzuki GS 1000

You do the bidding (and paying!) and I will look after it in my shed!
                        Last edited by londonboards; 09-29-2012, 04:36 AM.
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

I think she has already........
                          No such thing as overstaying Her welcome. Needed to build that shed so She can have a proper place in my garage out of harms way and the elements. The Honda is the one being relegated to the shed...

Comment

Good one, Sci....

And the pictures would be where??????????
                            Well right here of course! Silly me...

Okay, your turn Flyboy. Let's see your new box.

Sci85
                            1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                            2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Nice shed Sci! Will be building one myself later this year/early next year...

Stan, glad to see this thread alive again! Very much looking forward to progress and I like your attitude

Is there a thread on your trip to the US? I must've missed it...

And Dale's a good bloke, Nancy will be safe until she's shipped
                              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Sci, that is one neat shed, me no have no shed to show you.
                                The only box I got is this one....

Pete, yeah thanks, I did start posting up a few pics of the Oshkosh trip, but there were no takers or much interest, so I just called it quits.

Comment

Working...
                                X