No announcement yet.

Project Windjammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I just have one thing to say about all this..I am UTTERLY astonished that the fairing and loweres are the same ones me and Dale drug out of the bin that day. THEN..I saw them all sawed up and laying next to your dog. Now I see the fairing reassembled and the lowers rebent and fitted..Its all very interesting and its just amazing what these parts have been tru and now they are like new again!! Just UTTERLY amazing!! Glad that you got such joy and satisfaction from them.. I will also say you got a heck of a story behind them and pics for backup. I bet many a conversation about it all will be had. Enjoy and keep us posted. Best luck, Chuck
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Wow - what a job well done!

I'd make sure to send a note to Craig Vetter himself. I'm sure he'd get a kick out of all the work you're doing, just to have his equipment on your bike.

He'd also be really amazed at the lowers. His very own website says Type V lowers only fit Type V Windjammers. You done proved him wrong!

Comment

MODIFIED lowers fit ANY fairing..LMAO!!!!
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I agree that a note and a link to this thread would "wow" Craig Vetter. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he sent you some of the outstanding parts you need (like the snapvents, moldings, and attachment hardware for the lowers, as an example) just because of the impressive job you've done pulling off a "Frankenstein" reincarnation of a chopped up fairing, etc...

It truly is one of the more impressive projects I've ever seen on the forum and it's not even finished!

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
            My painting skills are.... actually I have none.

well, you can definitely say NOW you do have painting skills!
            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
              well, you can definitely say NOW you do have painting skills!
              I am definitely not going to be that forward, even to myself, before I have done the tank and fairing!
              Although I must admit, I have been strutting around the bike in the garage with a bit of a smirk when no-one was about!

Comment

Windjammer has just been painted:

Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2011, 05:08 PM.

Comment

That sure didn't take you long! what did you do; start painting as soon as company stepped out the door?
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                    That sure didn't take you long! what did you do; start painting as soon as company stepped out the door?
                    They were just around the corner on their way back to Cape Town!
                    The weather report shows 27 C for tomorrow so I will have it baking in the sun for a while. The harness has been patched in as well!

Comment

The whole job looks way better than my hack job! Especially those lowers, I didn't spend near as much time and effort making the 750 lowers work on my bike, I just cut until they fit the way they worked best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                        The whole job looks way better than my hack job! Especially those lowers, I didn't spend near as much time and effort making the 750 lowers work on my bike, I just cut until they fit the way they worked best for me.
                        I must give Dale some credit. I had to make a call on Dale shipping the type IV lowers over and then finding them impossible to fit to the Windjammer V (as Craig Vetter himself said). Dale confirmed that it would just require some bending and trimming which was enough for me.

If anyone has some detail on the "bungee cord" that was used to tie the two lowers under the carbs I will appreciate it. Were the eyelets on the badge mountings used for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post

If anyone has some detail on the "bungee cord" that was used to tie the two lowers under the carbs I will appreciate it.
                          where did you get this information from?
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

It looks awesome Andre!! Way different than the pics in post #1 !!!

Comment

I didn't know anything about a bungee cord. Now, I'll have to see if I can make a spot to tuck the remaining bits of my flaps for my lowers in closer.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                                where did you get this information from?
                                It's on Craig Vetter's website as "Instructions for mounting Lowers", but I think the bungee cord solution only applies to Type 5 lowers, as that's the instructions that are shown.

Comment

Working...
                                X