GS 850 Motor for Argentina!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 850 Motor for Argentina!

Hello all, this is just a place holder for now but I got the donated motor ready to clean up and get ready to ship to Chris down in Argentina.

I will try to snap lots of pictures and post info here. Most of the work will be happening on Sunday so be watching for any desperate pleas for help / insight.

One thing I am wondering off hand is if I need to ship Chris a torque wrench as he really should have retorque it all once he gets it and after riding a bit. I am unsure if he has one and contact is pretty spaced out as he needs to walk 5 miles with the computer to get me on the phone.

I will also try to update with a better background, but for basic story check out the lates blog on www.motorcyclememoir.com and more info on the stories forum here, sticky on top.

Oh and shameless plug but anything you can donate to help me ship this to him will be a huge help. my paypal is skateguy50@hotmail.com if we get more than it costs to ship I will donate the rest to the non profit account.

Prep To Do List:
    • Get donated motor from Maine - Done
    • Get gaskets and parts from Z1 - Done (a few on backorder)
    • Get rear shaft and spline rom BassCliff - Done
    • Drain fluids from Engine - Done
    • Clean outside of Engine - Done (could always use more)
    • Check Compression (need help / tool for that) - skipped
    • Spray lots of PB Blast on stuck Exhaust Bolt, and head bolts. - Done
    Wrenching Party To Do List:
    • Rebuilt Clutch - on hold
    • Remove Exhaust Stud - Drilled and tapped
    • Check shims - Record for base value for later - marked what was in, will check extras for next sizes
    • Remove Head - Done
    • Remove valves and replace orings - 3 Done, 5 to go
    • Remove Cylinder & clean - Done
    • Check rings and cylinder - Done
    • Clean Pistons - Done
    • Replace Gaskets and Rebuild
    • Flush with new oil and drain
    • Replace oil filter with new - Done (need cover gasket)
    Preshipping To Do List:
    • Inventory everything being sent
    • Complete all paperwork and have translated
    • Built Crate and pack everything safely - Started
    • Schedule Delivery Method and deliver to shipper
    • Hope it all makes it safe
    Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2010, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Current / Open Questions:

It was suggested I do a leakdown test and compression check, questions is can anyone point me to a decent writeup on that and can it be done on a pulled engine with no starter and just turning it by hand with a wrench?

Comment

Have you considered opening up the oil pan to clean the filter screen and visually inspect the transmission and shift mechanism?

Are you planning to replace all the seals, or just those involved in the top end owner? I'm wondering about things like:
        -gear position sensor o-ring
        -shifter shaft seal
        -clutch shaft seal
        -Tach output seal
        -Cam chain tensioner seals
        -Output shaft seal.

These are all common leak points, and i just wanted to make sure they were thought about.

I wish I could be there to help. You have a pile of work to do.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I have some reading to do getting caught up on the 850 engine, but as much as I can do will be done and depends also on who might be able to help out.

A lot of them sound familiar to the parts list Jeff came up with so if I have the gasket or seal I will try to replace it. Also he did include an oil pan gasket so might do that to. Aside from the obvious though not much I can do for checking things for spec.

Weather doesnt look the best out here for Sunday... so not sure if anyone can help but advice here will all be taken into account.

Comment

Replacement engine for the one that is being donated?

Daniel

Comment

Thanks for the link, should anything look really bad inside I might contact him. Otherwise I think we have the engine we are using already.

Maybe the starter, or if it has no broken studs the head... rather use the full unit we got though. I will be in CT tomorrow night though... but not sure my porch can hold two engines or what I would do with all the extra parts.

Comment

Pictures for now.

Engine from Matt

Bolt

Crate started

Engine in crate, test and to work on / drain fluids

it will be strapped in and packed much more for shipping

Showing top section

Clearance under for lifting

Engine on my kitchen table (yes my kitchen table is a bar)

Side view

Comment

Parts are IN!

Amazing box of stuff from Z1 Enterprises!

Replacement part for Chris

Thanks UPS... think that will be okay?

Comment

Ups

I'm not a shaft guy, but I'm thinking that's a paper weight now
                    Any of you shaft guys seen anything like this - and it worked?
                    Scott
                    1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                    1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                    1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                    2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
                      Prep To Do List:
                      • Check Compression (need help / tool for that)
                      Wrenching Party To Do List:
                      • Remove valves and replace orings

I'm assuming you mean valve stem seals

Add checking/replacing cam chain guides (the long ones down in the block)
                      Preshipping To Do List:
                      • Hope it all makes it safe

If you're taking the head and block off, the cam chain guides and valve stem seals need checking/replacing

You won't be able to turn the engine by had to do a compression check. If you can get your hands on a leak down tester, that would be good.

But checking the rings and valves should yield good compression
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hoping that it isnt a paper weight... cost a lot to get it here, can see if Cliff had insurance on it or not but likely not. I think Matt has one where I got the engine in Maine, costs me about $80 in gas and tolls to make the run, along with 10 hours on the road...

I got a set of digital calipers so will be able to check all those detailed numbers.

OH and I have no way to turn the motor at all, the bolt on the side and that whole section are missing so I cant turn it or time it, no way to tell TDC. so at the least Chris will have to pull the cams off and set them and time it.

Comment

Hi Jared,

That shipment was insured for $100 but I don't know if that will do us any good. Why not send Brian (bwringer) a PM and see what he thinks of those dings? I don't see how they would affect anything but let's ask an expert.

Drat and bother.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
                            Parts are IN!

Replacement part for Chris

Thanks UPS... think that will be okay?
                            The rear wheel might not turn if left the way it is. carefully check for cracks in the damaged areas and try fitting a spare wheel to it with proper wheel spacers in place. then take a drift and a hammer to the damaged areas to make it somewhat round again and recheck the wheel clearance.

at first glance it looks like it can be saved but if that doesn't work, try to find a different one.

does that engine have a known history? I have a home brew leak down tester you're welcome to borrow.

pull the left engine cover, pull the spark plugs and turn the crank with the rotor. you're 'going' to need to check the valve clearances before you ship it, might as well know the rest of the engines condition if at all possible.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

A couple thoughts.

1- How much of that Vesrah gasket kit will you use? The base gasket and o-rings will fail in a couple hours. That is the exact kit that failed on mine, and I believe bwringer's. I know I already mentioned it. It just makes me nervous to see it. Please don't send them to Argentina.

2- You can turn the motor over without opening it by putting it in gear and turning the output flange. Thread a couple screws into the flange, then put a bar between them to get leverage. Turn it like you're trying to screw it into the engine. Turning it backwards is bad, of course. 5th gear will be easiest to turn.

3- I agree with the other Dale that the final drive can probably be saved. That's not a load bearing part of the housing, and not close to the gears. It's near the vent, and not in a gasketed area, so it shouldn't leak. I have one from an '83 if straightening fails, or you decide not to chance it on that one.
                              Last edited by Dogma; 12-19-2010, 05:18 PM.
                              Dogma
                              --
                              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                              X