No announcement yet.

GS 850 Motor for Argentina!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not dug into exactly what he sent, but not sure what options I got either. Its a donated motor and donated parts to put in it and I will probably be out a few hundred (if Im lucky) to get it to Chris. I know some gaskets fail and OEM is best... but unless a local dealer wants to donate some stock stuff thats what I got.

Wrenching party was me and Machinest and GS Scott. Got all the fluids out, engine cleaned up, top end apart and Machinest checked everything with the calipers for spec. I got 3 of the valve seals done, and Scott got all the gasket surfaces super cleaned up. For what its worth the gasket in there was not OEM either and seemed to hold up (other than being a PITA to remove). Also drilled the snapped bolt out and Scott had a tap kit that worked great to rethread what was left to fit the same size bolt as the others.

So I got the other 5 seals to do tonight and then I can put it all back together and start crating it up with the rest of the parts. I didnt get into the clutch... and Chris was okay with sending the plates and gasket to him to put in if he feels it needs to be changed. I never did it before and didnt get far enough along with the guys to go into that as well.

Ill update with pictures later and check off my list thing too... right now my house is filled with engine parts and tools, need to crate it and clean up before Christmas.

edit, yea realized we can turn the motor but I have no way to exactly line up TDC so still cant set the chain and time it properly. Chris is okay with doing that on his end. I will oil the valve cover gasket and not get it super tight to make sure he can get it apart and reuse it.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2010, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
      Its a donated motor and donated parts to put in it. I know some gaskets fail and OEM is best... but unless a local dealer wants to donate some stock stuff thats what I got.
      Skate and others, for what it is worth, I have engines that have the Vesrah base and head gaskets with O.E.M. O-rings and they have not leaked.
      Perhaps I did something wrong?
      I believe that Chris will be just fine.

Daniel
      Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2010, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Some of the gaskets (including the base gasket & oil pan gasket) are OEM. The Vesrah package was just to keep them all together.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, as I said I have not dug into the package yet but planned to use what was sent. reminds me I do need to call the local dealer and find some oil filter gaskets, the one in the engine was flat with some gasket sealer spread around.

Camera is at home so cant upload pics right now but I will try to get caught up tonight on that, we are off to a great start and I think I can get the engine back together tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
            reminds me I do need to call the local dealer and find some oil filter gaskets, the one in the engine was flat with some gasket sealer spread around.
            If you can, let me know, I'll pop whatever I have left in the mail tomorrow.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Not sure I am following you on that? you have some of those gaskets?

The dealer down the road from my office has 5 in stock for $4.50 a piece. I will just buy a few here and put 1 in and have some spares for later.

Comment

Yes, I should have a few filter o-rings in stock. 'if' the dealer didn't have any in stock and you would have had to order them, you would have had a plan 'B' in place so to speak.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

ahh, well thanks for the offer and heads up. thats why I am doing all the digging in the engine now, if I need things like that much easier for me to go to the dealer at lunch than what Chris would have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                    Skate and others, for what it is worth, I have engines that have the Vesrah base and head gaskets with O.E.M. O-rings and they have not leaked.
                    Perhaps I did something wrong?
                    I believe that Chris will be just fine.

Daniel
                    That's good news. The o-rings shouldn't be hard to come by (expensive), if Jeff didn't send OEM o-rings too.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

He sent LOTS of OEM orings, I got to sort out the parts list and make sure I install them all in the right places, but no issues on that.

Comment

glad things seem to be going okay so far.. let me know on the final drive. It wouldn't take too long to yank this one out and i would meet you somewhere to help out.

Comment

I wouldnt have any time I could drive out till say... Friday and hope to have this shipped before that and not be on the road for Chrsitmas eve. Also have some money into the shipping on the one I have so dont want to put more money in another round of gas and tolls if it can be avoided.

Only thing that seems questionable is I believe number 3 spark plug hole is pretty torn up. It still threads in fine but is very loose till the last 1/4 of the spark plug. I think it will be fine but something for Chris to be careful with.

Also want to add that I have received about $250 in donations so far for shipping, thanks a lot guys. I have a lead on an airport to airport shipping option that the generic quote looked like $600 range and am waiting on a detailed quote with some answers to some questions. If anyone else can chip in it would be appreciated, I hope to get this on its way in a day or two. skateguy50@hotmail.com or pm me for an address for a regular check. If you put it in as donation I dont think it charges any fees, Ill see what they try to take when I request to transfer it to my bank account (what I will be using to pay to ship it).
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
                            glad things seem to be going okay so far.. let me know on the final drive. It wouldn't take too long to yank this one out and i would meet you somewhere to help out.
                            What's 2 hours south of you? I could meet you Tues or Wed night - half way. Give me a call if you want to. Phone number sent via PM.

Scott
                            Scott
                            1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                            1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                            1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                            2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate :) 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                            sigpic

Comment

Well I dont have replacement orings for the cylinders so will check the dealer for that as well, got a few oil filter orings and crush washers for the drain plug. Also the head gasket sent had no washers for the corners... he sent to types one doesnt seem to need it the other is more like OEM but has no washers... but uses the rectangle oring in the center and I have that.

Can those washers be picked up separate?

the ones in the corners of gasket #7.

Comment

I uploaded more pictures to the photobucket.

Comment

Working...
                                X