GS 850 Motor for Argentina!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

So this is the gasket that came out, the new one does not have those washers you see at the top. Left is without as the new gasket is, right shows the crushed gasket... cant find it offered as its own part online.

Comment

Dealer 1 told me those orings ONLY come with the gaskets, anyone got any other ideas?

I will call the other dealer in a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
          Dealer 1 told me those orings ONLY come with the gaskets, anyone got any other ideas?
          Skateguy50, How about a picture of the new head gasket. the replacement Suzuki gasket for my '850 didn't have them either.

for example... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-S...Q5fAccessories

additional comment... what year '850 are you sending? an 80-81 by the looks of it.
          is the output flange bolt spacing the same between '82 and the earlier models?
          Last edited by rustybronco; 12-21-2010, 03:01 PM.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Wow, you guys are unbelievably awesome for doing all this. It may have been stated before but I must have missed it. Is there a paypal addy to help with donations? I can't donate parts or time but would gladly throw in a couple bucks towards the cause.

Oh yeah... Skateguy, are you really doing that in your kitchen? You must be single!

Comment

single yes... technically not for another 120 days...

anyways yea the gasket I have looks like the one you showed and has no orings but has the metal ring built into the corner ones and might be a crush washer of sorts built in.

Also how important is it to replace the orings around the cylinders with the base gasket? I can get it but its another 5 days to get them...

paypal to help with shipping is skateguy50@hotmail.com

Here are the two head gaskets sent to me, neither is OEM but the base is the OEM suzuki.

Also to the question above, its an 80 engine for an 82 bike and I have the output drive shaft from the 80 to use with this.

Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2010, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Donation sent. Hope it helps a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
                  Also how important is it to replace the orings around the cylinders with the base gasket? I can get it but its another 5 days to get them...
                  Important!

***edit*** are you sure you didn't get them from Z1? I am almost sure I saw them in one of the pictures you had deleted.

Here are the two head gaskets sent to me, neither is OEM but the base is the OEM suzuki.
                  The bottom looks just like the one I recently used in my '850. keep in mind there have been a few revisions to the original gaskets. It's up to you, but I used it.
                  Last edited by rustybronco; 12-21-2010, 05:26 PM.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I deleted a picture?

stupid photobucket... let me look

guess i did, got it on the other computer Ill try to get them back up... anyways I see the pic you meant the rectangular gasket for the head is twisted and looks like that a bit but I checked the parts list and guess it got missed.

okay to lazy to fix links, got a top end to bolt up. http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y22.../850%20Engine/
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2010, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I went with what I had and put the top end back together last night and torqued the head bolts up. Just need to install the cams and tensioner and put the cover on it, wont be to hard since Chris is doing the timing and valve shims once he gets it. Matt donated a bunch of shims so he should be good to go with them.

I got a good lead on the shipping so might be able to crate it up today ~crosses fingers~ although my buddy helping me out is heading up to Maine so wont have him to help me carry it down the stairs to the car. I dont think my son can handle one end of this thing... but he might surprise me. He is 14 and cares more about video games than engines.

Comment

Just a note for you from someone currently recovering from an inguinal hernia operation. DON'T LIFT THE BLOCK ON YOUR OWN! Get the ex to do it!
                        Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

haha, no I wont get her moving it...

I did "lift" it to lower it into the crate frame solo but wont try to move it. Just cause I could safely dead lift the weight in a controlled condition does not mean I could lift that and move it since the weight will be to far out and to many obstacles. Once its ready Ill find someone local.

Comment

Well had some issues getting it out tonight, took longer than expected crated and spent to long getting home trying to get my friend, he had to work late...

Anyways if I got it in likely would have sat in the warehouse till Monday anyways, then get trucked to JFK.

Here are some more pics.

same photobucket folder, no password

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

I keep making a mess with uploading multiple copies, so if you get dead links just go to photobucket.

Comment

Jared,
                              Good job - looks great!
                              Scott
                              1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                              1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                              1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                              2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate :) 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                              sigpic

Comment

Crate is sealed, I will bring a cordless drill to the shipping place should they want to try and inspect anything...

Hopefully I can clean up tonight a bit and get my house back for Christmas, I got tools EVERYWHERE lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X