• Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs425 MUTILATION (Lots of pics!!)

Hello GuyS and GalS
    (See what I did there?)
    First post ever, woohoo

Just found this sight googling some questions on my bike. More on that
    Later. this place is awesome! I am a member over at customfighters.com and had just started posting my build thread over there, with little interest. Hey to be fair its not really a fighter. thought yall might apprecieate this more.

So Ive been dreaming of a building a bobber/rat rod kind of thing for a long time, but never had the time or money. I was perusing craigslist as I always do (ever set the range to like 8 grand even though your bumming smokes off your buddies? I like to dream) and saw a 79 gs425 for super cheap.

Long story short...I bought it. and it runs great! sort of.......I had always planned on a hardtail chopper kind of thing, but I saw this bike and its screamed cafe racer, so there ya go. It is VERY rough around the edges but thats what makes this fun, and keeps it in my pitiful price range.

the right footpeg mount is broken (the guy who owned it before the guy I bought it from had a U clamp around it....super ghetto, and worse, ineffective) the chain is rusted to hell, brake fluid dark, muddy and almost gone and the tires have maybe 200 miles left in them.

buuuut whatever none of that sounds fun so why deal with it?
    a few pics before molestation (or right after comencing molesty things anyway)

upon getting it home I immediatly pulled the bars, flipped them, juggled some hoses and wires and la de fricken dah I got a cafe racer.
    However the stock bars make for some super low cafe bars so I swapped em with some rusty black bars I had laying around. Much better!

pulled the front and rear fender, turn signals, mirrors and various bolts that didnt seem terribly important.

the seat is torn to pieces Ive begun mocking up some seat pans to fiberglass. planning to use the foam from old saddle to shape the seat, then cover. thatll be a first for me so any tips welcome. I may just cut down and recover old seat, not sure...

pulled the carbs...lots of rust residue (yummy) and generally gross. Ive never seen metal floats before! Im a child I know.

So Far I have done the following

Cleaned carbs
    set timing/points (that was fun)
    wrapped exhaust
    chopped up the seat to an almost unusable pile of foam
    New battery
    New plugs
    installed K&N Filters (sex)
    greased up swing arm/axles/shocks
    Cleaned and Di-electric grease all connections and plugs and what not

Now in the proccess of checking valve clearances
    until I tore the top end apart and broke everything (more on that later, again) It ran pretty good. Wouldnt idle, but revved fine and no poping/backfiring. the idle problem was the reason I started in on the valves.

2 days ago, before alot of these things were done, I took her for a test ride, was running pretty terrible but it was fun! Im a reather large guy, and I havent ridden a bike this small since the saftey course so many years ago (like 3 or 4 lol) got some funny looks tooling down the road.

sadly It was short lived, my rear tube decided life was not worth living, and that was that.

the tires were ****e anyway, so I got a set of wonderful rubber on its way to my door. should be here thursday. wait till you see em.
    enough talking. Pics!

like my seat?

Yay weight savings! based on how heavy my dog is, Id say this is 30-35 pounds. Getting me closer to a stock bike with a 140 pound japenese guy on it

So on to the valve clearance check. did it right and made a table, wrote everything down. intakes were right in spec, #1 ex was a touch over and #2 was a touch under. to make life easier (or so I thought) I pulled the ex cam to grab the shims out. these GS shims are huge!

got em out. did the math, figured out what I needed, called the local valve shim supplier. they had almost what I needed. (Ill throw up exact numbers if it becomes an issue)

I threw everything back together to double check and to see if what these guys had would work. As Im sure most of you know, but I did not know, is the gs had extremely tight valve clearances. so I stumbled with the math a touch.

anyway the point to all this is when things went back together, I could not get the crank to spin all the way around?? I realized I had totally forgotten about cam timing, so Cams were then aligned with marks and pins in the chain and all that. same thing, would not budge (did NOT wanna force anything)

Removed cam chain tensioner and still same. Have not done anything since that point. I just quit smoking so I get ****ed easily. however now I am cooled down and gonna get back to it.

all advice/comments/ideas are welcomed, weird cam problem or otherwise.
    I will back later tonight to either post up my cure or whine about my problems some more.

thanks for reading
    Ray

Comment

oh yeah... the whole timing the cams WITH the crank thing....aparrently valves have to open at a certain time while the piston is in the appropriate position.....LOL!

be back shortly hopefully with good news

Comment

Welcome........good luck on the build........I'm working on a 425 myself.......maybe I can help with any questions....if not I'm sure someone here can........again welcome and good luck....

Comment

welcome aboard Ray. keep at it! stay in it!

Good stuff.

Comment

lol thanks for the welcome! shes all better now, silly oversight. I love Nicatine (though Im not sure I know how to spell it)

more updates and pics tonight

Comment

Originally posted by lmrmllr89 View Post
              Welcome........good luck on the build........I'm working on a 425 myself.......maybe I can help with any questions....if not I'm sure someone here can........again welcome and good luck....
              didnt see your post (is this forum backward?) thanks for the welcome.

You got a thread going on your 425? Id love to check it out

Comment

Go to Quick link, edit options. Under Thread display optionthere is thread display mode. Select Linear-oldest post first then hit save at the bottom of the page.

Comment

Here's my thread....http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=184795

It's mostly a stock restoration with custom exhaust and jetting

Comment

Welcome Ray! Rushing through and haven't read your thread in detail yet but I'll come back to it, always good to see another twin logging in
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                    X