Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free 650GL Budget Build

Hey everyone!

I've wanted a project bike for a while. Something ragged that I could chop up and make into whatever I want. However being short on funds, I didn't think I'd be able to afford a project bike for a few years yet.

However I found a deal that was too good to pass up. A free bike. Another GS'er had had it, and could never get it running right, he was moving away and just wanted to get rid of it. He posted it on Tuesday morning, by Tuesday night it was in my hands! I know you all like pictures so enjoy! This is what a free GS looks like.

It's not so pretty. Seat is garbage. Pipes have no mufflers. But it's all mostly there.

The front wheel looks good at least. As do the NEW Pirelli sport demons

Rear tire also looks good. Missing some turn signal bits though.

It has some sort of aftermarket 4-2 on it. Some minor surface rust but should be cleanable with some elbow grease. Also notice the new real-gasket.

New carb intake boots too. And the no good emgo pods that have to go.

Tank is sporting a pretty rough rattle can job, but the inside was clean and even had a full tank in it . More horrid seat.

Pulling it apart so see what it looks like sans seat. This is good. I like the flat topped sub-frame. Has some actual potential in there.

Since the battery was dead, hooked it up to the car, it cranked strong but showed no signs of combustion. Took out all the plugs, cleaned and re-gapped them. Took off the inline fuel filter. Cranked really well and the sparks looked good, but still not getting any suction on the fuel. Removed the crap emgo pods, and had my helper cover the intakes with his hands.

Hit the button and it roared to life. I've never heard an open piped GS before. Holy crap this thing sounded like a propeller plane. It was loud! Really loud. But it was a runner. If only just.

First step is gonna be get some mufflers on there. I've got some leads on harley cast off's for cheap so I'm gonna go that route. Second step is gonna be replace those Emgos with, I'm thinking, K&N's. I know they are pricey and go against the purpose of my budget build, but they do fit the look I'm thinking about.

Also the carbs are sporting 160 jets. Would this be ball-park for good pods and a semi-breathing pipe? I plan on getting a DJ kit anyways, but would appreciate any advice in where to go from there.

Finally here is a super crappy photochop of some of my ideas for the bike.

Thanks for reading all this crap. I'll post up some more progress when I get some more parts. This build is not a real priority for me, so don't expect it to be the fastest moving build ever. It is my first though and I'm pretty stoked about it.

New tires, the nice tuning forks rims, title, a full tank of gas and it runs!
    I would have to say that you were basically PAID $300.00 to pick it up!

Congrats!

Eric

BTW, you can sell me those garbage air filters if you wish.

Comment

Can't see the pictures while at work (dang nanny filters ) but I like your descriptions.

You sure those are 160 MAIN jets?
      I ask because that is the stock size for the PILOT AIR JET, the one that's in the intake throat at about the 8 o'clock position.
      The MAIN jets should be 110 (stock). By the time you jet for pods and pipe, you might be in the 130 range, definitely NOT 160.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Can't see the pictures while at work (dang nanny filters ) but I like your descriptions.

You sure those are 160 MAIN jets?
        I ask because that is the stock size for the PILOT AIR JET, the one that's in the intake throat at about the 8 o'clock position.
        The MAIN jets should be 110 (stock). By the time you jet for pods and pipe, you might be in the 130 range, definitely NOT 160.

Thank you for the clarification Steve. That would be the pilot air jet is a 160 then. I figured it seemed way to high to be the main jet size. Next time I'm over there (the bike is living at my girlfriends house for now) I'll open up the carbs again and look at the main jets. I was mostly concerned with getting it to start up yesterday .

Eric when I replace the emgos I'll let you know.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2012, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Awesome Tim! Definitely going to follow along on this one.

Your Photoshop said exactly what I was thinking... would make a perfect brat or whatever they call it along the lines of what JimmyR is doing with his 1100.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks Pete! Needless to say I'm stoked about it. And couldn't argue with the price!

Pretty similar to Jimmy R's 1100 in style I guess. Brat, cafe, thing...whatever you want to call it . Although I want to keep two up options open so I'll have a full size seat and passenger pegs.

I want to get the bike in top mechanical order first and then worry about the 'easy' stuff of making it look good. I got paid today I can order up some baffles and filters! There goes the 'budget' build

Comment

Haha! I was thinking it was looking good and then I read the last couple of posts! Seriously, there is a ton of potential in that bike. A lot of the good stuff is just elbow grease.

If you are really keen on getting the triangle below the seat clear you can use a Gel or whatever those new fangled batteries are and put it under the swingarm. That's what CRD do. The fuse box and ignition module are all I have under the seat in a little tray - oh, and the signal light blinker. I have the starter relay bolted under the tank. My battery is in a box under the seat, similar to how Wrenchmonkees do it.

A fella I know here made a seat like the idea you have out of some leather he had tuck rolled and a steel seat pan he made. He did it really cheaply.

Great score mate! Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                Thanks Pete! Needless to say I'm stoked about it. And couldn't argue with the price!

Pretty similar to Jimmy R's 1100 in style I guess. Brat, cafe, thing...whatever you want to call it . Although I want to keep two up options open so I'll have a full size seat and passenger pegs.

I want to get the bike in top mechanical order first and then worry about the 'easy' stuff of making it look good. I got paid today I can order up some baffles and filters! There goes the 'budget' build
                Good stuff, getting her running right first is a good idea

I like the idea of keeping a full seat, same with my 450... really want to keep it open in case my wife changes her mind one day and wants to try it.

Oh, and it can still be a budget build... it may just not be a "small" budget...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post

Dump that midget R/R asap and get yourself a nice reliable Shindengen before you do charging tests
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

TimTom going to finally do a project bike... sweet. I can't wait to see what you do with it. I know you well enough to figure what you put in that photoshop is probably going to change three or twelve times...lol. Sending you a PM about the turn signals.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                      TimTom going to finally do a project bike... sweet. I can't wait to see what you do with it. I know you well enough to figure what you put in that photoshop is probably going to change three or twelve times...lol.
                      Thanks for the vote of confidence. The plan has already changed slightly several times now .

Also I've enlisted the help of my brother who's got some pretty solid fabrication skills. Since this is my thread, I'm gonna allow me to hijack it a bit to share some of his projects really quick. I figure if I put pics it'll be okay. Also I have nothing else to put here as I'm awaiting some parts... If you were expecting progress, sorry not quite yet.

He's been working on a Karman Ghia for several years now. Someone stole the entire front end for scrap a few years ago, but no matter, 'I'll just build my own' he says... This has been a long project for him, and its no where near done, but still gotta admire his determination.

Slightly more currently he's made several fiberglass surfboards, and most recently a hollow wood long board that came out amazing. He built his own steam box to imbue the curvature into the wood.

Finally to bring it back to motorcycles a little bit he made up some hardbags for his shadow 750 out of nothing but some sheet metal. They are both flawless despite the complicated dual curvatures.

Like I said he has some good fabrication skills.

We've been emailing and texting all sorts of ideas back and forth, and come up with some pretty good ones. Hopefully it'll set the bike apart from so many other 'bratstyle / cafe" bikes out there.

First up is mechanical stuff though, and that's all my area of expertise. Stay Tuned!

Note: For an actual update, my new baffles are in the mail! Goodbye super-extra-way to loud noise, and hello to some backpressure.

Comment

"I'll just build my own" he says...

He's keen! And very talented by the looks, love those hard bags on the Shadow, that's some impressive work there!

I contemplated some panniers for mine out of fibreglass at one point but no way would they end up anything like that... I've shelved that idea too

Looking forward to see how you go with her

sigpic

Comment

Got some new parts today. My $20 ebay airbox came with new intake boots and clamps on it. A nice suprise to be sure, and saved me about a hundred bucks. Also got some baffles and packing to stick into the pipes and quiet it down a bit and a new fuel line. Unfortunately I won't really have time until final exams are over in two weeks. But I'm getting everything ready.

Total cost of the entire motorcycle thus far: $64.75

Comment

I'm watchin' your every move on this project.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                              I'm watchin' your every move on this project.

Eric
                              Ohh good so no pressure right?!

Comment

Working...
                              X