Rusted Exhaust Flanges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusted Exhaust Flanges

There's a Kerker 4-into-1 header on the 1978 GS750E I'm restoring. I tried to remove the header to polish it but 3 of the 4 exhaust flanges on rusted onto the pipes. I applied several squirts of PB Blaster to break the rust but no luck yet. Any suggestions?

keep squirting and tap with a hammer until they free up, the tapping will break the rust free
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I did get it free with some extra persuasion with the hammer. Now I have to decided about getting it re-chromed. If I get a new megaphone, the price for that and the new meg would about equal the price of a new Vance & Hines system...but this is a Kerker. Or I could get it Jet Coated (or the equivalent) at my friendly, neighborhood powder coaters.

Comment

i dont think powder coating will stand the heat of the headers, ceramic coating is good, chrome is good, paint is cheap but effective if done properly
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

High-temp powder coating will work but the ceramic coating process is preferred nowadays. Supposedly, the amount of silicone in the high-temp powder coating makes it a difficult, unhappy material for the powder coaters to work with as it contaminates their process. The ceramic coating process looks dandy like chrome and runs much cooler, I'm told. I hope it's not too pricey or "spendy", as folks in MN say.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete's GS View Post
            I did get it free with some extra persuasion with the hammer. Now I have to decided about getting it re-chromed. If I get a new megaphone, the price for that and the new meg would about equal the price of a new Vance & Hines system...but this is a Kerker. Or I could get it Jet Coated (or the equivalent) at my friendly, neighborhood powder coaters.
            Most chrome shops won't rechrome pipes from what I heard, the soot messes up their tanks. Powder coating eh...try these guys http://www.jet-hot.com/
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
            X