Custom home-made seat for my 550 Cafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom home-made seat for my 550 Cafe

So I spent last weekend slapping a seat together for my 550 cafe racer project I'm almost done with. Documented the process step by step and though you guys might want to tear my technique apart and crush my soul. Or you know, maybe, enjoy it or something...

I have a cheapo harbor freight welder and not tons of experience so don't judge my booger welds too harshly.

Some trimming and whacking with a mallet shaped it up a bit more.

Practice makes perfect.
    A couple grinding discs and nobody will notice the welds.
    I like the dimensions. Most cafe seats i see are too short.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

A suggestion if I may. Take a little time now while you can to try and align the bottom of the tank and the bottom edge of the seat to make them as straight and even as possible. You clearly have the metal fab skills to make the necessary adjustments. In the end it will create a more visually appealing line instead of interrupting the flow from front to back.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
        A suggestion if I may. Take a little time now while you can to try and align the bottom of the tank and the bottom edge of the seat to make them as straight and even as possible. You clearly have the metal fab skills to make the necessary adjustments. In the end it will create a more visually appealing line instead of interrupting the flow from front to back.
        ++++1 on that. Currently struggling to do a brat style seat on son's GS750L. Raised the rear of tank about 2" so that bottom is parallel with sub frame rails. Much nicer lines. But, can't envision of way of getting the seat (top or bottom) in a straight line with tank without having a really thick cushion, which takes away from the brat look, or putting some sort of riser under it, leaving a "window" under the seat. Seems like Suzuki sub frames sit lower than other makes, with top of fender significantly above top of rails. Going to a swap meet 1/25 to look for a seat and/or some inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by XR750 View Post
          ++++1 on that. Currently struggling to do a brat style seat on son's GS750L. Raised the rear of tank about 2" so that bottom is parallel with sub frame rails. Much nicer lines. But, can't envision of way of getting the seat (top or bottom) in a straight line with tank without having a really thick cushion, which takes away from the brat look, or putting some sort of riser under it, leaving a "window" under the seat. Seems like Suzuki sub frames sit lower than other makes, with top of fender significantly above top of rails. Going to a swap meet 1/25 to look for a seat and/or some inspiration.
          The problem you have is that the rails under the seat are lower on L models than they are on others. I saw a post where someone raised them by cutting, sleeving, and adding tube to bring them up 1-2 inches.

Comment

Working...
          X