80 gs550e project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More mail!!!

Still waiting on my valve spring compressor, kinda at a stand still till that comes in. I did chop the exhaust and got my shortys ready to fit up. I also picked up this welder today, and I'm grabbing some gas tomorrow.

I've talked to a few people about this welder and seems like it was a good choice for what i want to do. It's my second welder so I'm excited to be welding again. I'm thinking about making this electronics tray deeper so i can fit my Agm battery in there. I also finished the base coat of my tank, still trying to figure out if i want to do any pin stripes/ numbers/ design...i really love this copper color.

Comment

Got some work done, picked up a cylinder of gas today welded up my new battery tray! The old one was way too small, not even the smallest lith. Ion battery would fit in there. Plus this bike didn't have a kick start, so i opted for the full size. Here is what i did.

Comment

Look what finally came in!!! Time to do the valves!

Comment

Yep, I'm on my kitchen table working on the valves... This motor is so close to getting back into the bike!!!!
          Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2019, 12:08 PM.

Comment

I salute you, sir! I'm 100% for indoor motorcycle work, storage, even riding (Animal House).

About your big tank of gas..as I recall from my days as a 19 year old hospital loading dock raider, green was oxygen, blue was...he, he, nitrous.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              I salute you, sir! I'm 100% for indoor motorcycle work, storage, even riding (Animal House).

About your big tank of gas..as I recall from my days as a 19 year old hospital loading dock raider, green was oxygen, blue was...he, he, nitrous.
              Haha thanks, I'm a wood worker and i don't trust any work surfaces in the shop to be clean enough to work on, plus it was nice to sit down and work. As for the gas, it's definitely not nitrous, these cylinders are many colors at the gas company, it's actually filled with Argon, co2 75/25 mix.

Comment

Did someone media blast that head? If so, did you make sure the blind oil passages in the head have been properly cleaned? I say this from experience because a LOT of grit can get down into those passages and they are NOT easy to clean out. You need to force degreaser down the passages because any oil remaining in the passages will retain the grit. And the passages are plugged on the ends so you can't flow cleaner or rinse water through the passages easily.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

What a fight I had last night after doing the valves i decided to get the head on set the timing and check the valves...
                  1st "attempt..." I'm honestly embarrassed to say i didn't even think of the timing, i just put the cams in and bolted out all up.... Then realized Sh17, that was stupid.
                  2nd attempt.. Lined everything up, bolted it down, went to check the valves, and realised i forgot to put on the chain tensioner on the side of the motor... It was now almost 4am so i went to bed frustrated at myself.
                  Now here we are 9am trying to get some work done before i had to go to work.
                  3rd attempt, finally think i got it all done correctly and started checking valves to see what shims I need to get, if any.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Did someone media blast that head? If so, did you make sure the blind oil passages in the head have been properly cleaned? I say this from experience because a LOT of grit can get down into those passages and they are NOT easy to clean out. You need to force degreaser down the passages because any oil remaining in the passages will retain the grit. And the passages are plugged on the ends so you can't flow cleaner or rinse water through the passages easily.
                    No i just scrubbed and degreased it by hand.. the pics make it look way cleaner than it actually is.

Comment

Ok, so the past few nights and mornings whenever i had the time I've been messing with my valve shims. They were all out of spec, but did some swapping around and got most of them in a good spot. Here are my notes

So on both the ex and intake sides the 1st valve seems to be sticking... If i just use the shim tool on them they seem to "pop" and then seat into the right position.... What could be causing this?
                      Remember I'm very new to all of this, I'm not exactly sure what valve is what number.... So the chart reads like you are looking at the valves, like you are doing the timing... 1 is closest to you. Anyway I've ordered the shims and now i wait. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the motor into the frame tonight. Next up is finishing the paint job on the tank, then proceede to install my stage 3 dynojet kit. Getting close!!!!
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2019, 06:04 PM.

Comment

So i cheated a little bit... Since i own a screen printing company, i also can make decals... So instead of taping off and painting numbers and stripes, i made decals!

My poor bike has so much dust on her!!! I'm not sure if i like the 36's but that's the beauty of the decals... I can take them off. I will clear coat over them once i decide if i like them or not though.
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2019, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Jetting the carbs!!! Got my dynojet stage 3 kit, going on...
                          Main jets are 155, i set the clip at 4 down on accident, ( i read the instructions for the 750 not the 550) so hopefully it was a happy accident! Drilled out the slide holes..
                          Let me tell ya that was scary!
                          Then i came to the air correctors... Took me forever to figure out where these went, cause I'm an idiot! Haha It was right the in plain site!

Now to get the motor into the frame put on my new carb boots, slap the K&Ns on here and get the bike wired up!!! I can almost feel the air in my face now!!!!

Comment

So, good news... And bad news... The good news is, she is almost ready to start tuning!!! Got a carb sync, as well as a colortune, so hopefully taming this beast will be somewhat smooth... The bad news, The buddy that helped me muscle the motor in the engine knocked into my tank and it feel to the ground.... Again!!!! Oh well it was no where near perfect, i picked up some red kote today too line the inside so I'll probably just start from scratch on the tank. This time I'm going to paint the stripe and I've decided on a different "36" Here is a quick pic without the carbs on, she is looking so good! I'm getting super excited!

Front and rear fenders have been chopped, and they are currently being painted, before i get yelled at for not having a front brace/fender. also the frame is just very dusty, it's solid black, the motor is flat black and all the covers are gloss black ask painted with VHT.
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Carbs are on with new boots, to boot!!! Freshly cleaned, fitted with new K&N pods, and rejetted with the dynojet Stage 3 kit. Just have to wire her up weld the exhaust, and start tuning!

Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2019, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Wooohooo look what just came in! Wasn't expecting these till Monday!
                                So ready to get these in wire her up and start tuning!

Comment

Working...
                                X