o rings - reuse or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

o rings - reuse or replace?

I've been kinda wondering how almost all repair directions including the excellent carb rebuild series here mentions to replace all o rings. Is it really necessary? If a ring is not deformed, cracked and clearly has flexibly does it really have to be replaced? I'm looking for a technical reason not just, well it's a good idea....

mike

Re: o rings - reuse or replace?

Originally posted by mikeymike
    I've been kinda wondering how almost all repair directions including the excellent carb rebuild series here mentions to replace all o rings. Is it really necessary? If a ring is not deformed, cracked and clearly has flexibly does it really have to be replaced? I'm looking for a technical reason not just, well it's a good idea....

mike
    If your truly "rebuilding" your carbs - then you should replace them, if your just cleaning them and you think they're OK, re-use them ... It's just a little easier to trust the entire setup when you've replaced any/all parts that can be. 8)

The O-rings are probably the least expensive parts to replace during a rebuild.

Comment

Always order new o-rings no matter what part of the bike you are repairing and chuck the old ones out. All rubber GS parts are past their life expectancy and have turned hard.

Steve

Comment

O-ring replacement

Replace the soft goods, unless you want to do the job twice.
        MP

Comment

for 12 bucks, email robert barr, and get new rings.

if the original ones lasted long, you can then justify leaving these ones in for a while!

Comment

Technical reason? Deterioration. That, is inevitable. It Does Happen, it has happened, and Is happening right now. And in most cases, Has been happening for (Insert age of bike here) odd years....Don't be a cheap bastard, replace them! :P oh, by the way, Welcome to the GSR!!! You wil find a wealth of info here, just ask!

Comment

Okay uncle uncle, point taken.......

Yup I already connected with Barr and will ordering lots of rings, they are cheap!

thanks
              mike

Comment

o-rings

I haved worked with o-rings for a few decades and found that if you let o-rings set in WD-40 overnight or more they will come back to the OEM shape.
                steve

Comment

Re: o-rings

Originally posted by stpeil
                  I haved worked with o-rings for a few decades and found that if you let o-rings set in WD-40 overnight or more they will come back to the OEM shape.
                  steve
                  PB B'laster claims to revive O rings too. I'd just as soon replace tho'.

Comment

Working...
                  X