Alternatives for gas caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatives for gas caps?

I picked up a 1980 GS750E for a project bike, and one of the issues (among many) is the lack of a gas cap. I am wondering if anyone has found any aftermarket replacements that will work. If Suzuki offered the gas cap as a set with the ignition lock and seat lock(which I also need at some point), I would order from my dealer, but I would like to stick to one key if possible...

Good question....I'm in the same boat, my '82 750E came without cap...so now I have two keys.

I'm wondering if a good lock smith could re-key something?

Good part is, PartsNMore has an aftermarket cap for $15.00

Good luck,
    Bob T.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thank you. $15.00 is well within the budget for this bike. The girlfriend gave me a cap on spending,[-X but some things will just have to go unmentioned...:-\"

Comment

Originally posted by BikeNut View Post
        Thank you. $15.00 is well within the budget for this bike. The girlfriend gave me a cap on spending,[-X but some things will just have to go unmentioned...:-\"
        Understand...it's cheaper than real a Suzuki cap...but it still has a key. A key that won't match your other key.

So the two key problem has yet to be solved.

Later,
        Bob T.
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Well, since I don't have any keys for this bike at the moment, the two key problem isn't really a problem, yet...

Comment

alternatives

rag, plastic bags, duct tape, properly carved block of wood, rubber plug from home depot, rubber test plug from lowes, rubber ball (inserted with a hammer)
            socks, wax, ear wax, bees wax, crayolas, palm of hand, properly sized ball of rubber bands, plastic lid from a jar, playdough, elephant t_sticle ect...
            hoped you liked reading this!
            p.s. e-bay, used..
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
              rag, plastic bags, duct tape, properly carved block of wood, rubber plug from home depot, rubber test plug from lowes, rubber ball (inserted with a hammer)
              socks, wax, ear wax, bees wax, crayolas, palm of hand, properly sized ball of rubber bands, plastic lid from a jar, playdough, elephant t_sticle ect...
              hoped you liked reading this!
              p.s. e-bay, used..
              I tried using an elephant t_sticle with the last bike. The elephant wasn't real impressed, and it kinda hindered the gas mileage, you know with the elephant dragging and all....

Comment

LMAO! Great Comeback!:-D
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

IIRC, you may be able to have a new key cut with a profile that matches the ignition on one side, and the gas cap on the other. After a while, you learn which way goes up for which.

Maybe. Possibly.

Anyone remember if this really works...?
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi

Yes, it works

Comment

Originally posted by BikeNut View Post
                      I tried using an elephant t_sticle with the last bike. The elephant wasn't real impressed, and it kinda hindered the gas mileage, you know with the elephant dragging and all....
                      I guess i should have been a little clearer i meant just the T_sticle (notice i didn't elephant and!) but all in all a good comeback!!!!!!!

Comment

:shock: I'll bet the elephant could keep up.

Comment

The elephant will be happy to hear that the previous owner showed up with the original gas cap...and the petcock...and the two tank badges...

Thank you all for the tips and advice.

Comment

OH GREAT! And I had an elephant all boxed up for you.

Now what am I supposed to do with it? 8-[
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2006, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by runewolf View Post
                              OH GREAT! And I had an elephant all boxed up for you.

Now what am I supposed to do with it? 8-[
                              keep it in case you loose your GAS cap.

Comment

Working...
                              X