Honda R\R replacement list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda R\R replacement list

here is a list of the r\r's users have found have worked theseare only hte ones i have found so far, ill find more but i have a head ache searching forum s for the past 2 days on the subject and not to menton e-bay, add more when you find them this way it makes it easier to find one that works!
    • shindengen SH232-12(superdream, i think)
    • shindengen SH538-12(silverwing)
    • CX500
    • Superdream
    • CM400

I picked one up for an '04 CBR1000RR with the right number of wires and no sensor wire to deal with. I'll have to get the number off the R/R when I get home in a week or so.

Comment

There is a universal R/R listed from Rick's Motorsport (I've used their electronics before, highly recommended) in the Dennis Kirk catalog:

UNIVERSAL:
      For use on most two- and three-phase permanent magnet systems (light to medium duty; Suzuki casting) part #21-324 (*Dennis Kirk part #*) $89.99

No picture shown. Wonder if this would work and cure the "Curse of the Suzuki Charging Zombies"?

Also the part might be cheaper ordering direct from Rick's, and there might be a pic.

My $0.02, keep the change.

Comment

Shindengen sh530-12k is on mine, from a kz750?
        are you going to maintain a list?
        Last edited by rustybronco; 10-08-2006, 09:52 AM.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          Shindengen sh530-12k is on mine, from a kz750?
          are you going to maintain a list?

well i was hoping everyone could add to it then maybe make a sticky with a proper list just thought it would be nice to have a list for newbs like myself to find it easier can even make those excellent how to do the swap too.

or even a thread on the things you should change when you get your GS lol

Comment

Almost any three phase reg/rect will work. Just need to hard wire it...
            Even from a HD. I saw some at the swap meet, Was tempted to try one just to see if it would work

Comment

Finally back home and had a look at the CBR1000RR regulator I picked up off Ebay. The number is SH678FB. It has the same arrangement as the GS r/r, three stator wires and one hot and one ground. No sensor wire to hook up.

Comment

Yamaha R6 and R1 parts should work. GSXR r/r's work too. Grabbing a r/r off a EFI bike is a very good idea as they're designed to handle 40-50amps versus the 20 we run.
                You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Hi, Im a newbe to the forum.I have rode this bike nearly 1500 milessince last year with no problems other than constantly using battery water. I was told at the local Suzuki bike shop in the spring to test my voltage on my 81 gs450l in the spring while picking up carb parts as these bikes had issues with the r/r . I tested the system at 5000 rpm and got 17.10 volts dropping to 16.8 .It dosn't charge at all at idle(1400rpm),.So now I'm scared to ride it! I ride mostly at late night to work . I just ordered a used kokusan Denki regulator rs2142 off of ebay and then discovered this Forum and saw alot of you members have converted to a honda unit. Would I be better off converting it now ?If so to which part number? Thank You ,Pat
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2008, 10:03 AM. Reason: add a picture

Comment

post a link to the regulator and let us have a look see.
                    most people use the honda reg because it's, shall we say more "robust", but that's not to say the one you bought won't do just fine.

Comment

The used kokusan Denki regulator rs2142 is the origional part number for my bike .

I figure its worth a try but the honda conversion might be worth while ..Pat
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2008, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 81REDGS450L View Post
                        The used kokusan Denki regulator rs2142 is the origional part number for my bike .

Ebay Item number 290178181041

I figure its worth a try but the honda conversion might be worth while ..Pat
                        Yes a honda regulator might be a nice thing to buy and have "on the shelf", but if all your connections are good , clean and tight with the new regulator it might not be needed for quite some time. be sure to completely check out the charging system, that should help add to the longevity of your new reg.

Comment

Im gonna bid on and buy a used Honda unit also .Test it Then I'll make the mods ,test it and use the one with the best voltage numbers.I figured since I run cone filters I could mount the spare where the airbox once was ,(better cooling) ready to go in the event of a failure. I also found the "Stator papers" diagnostic procedure and am going through the system later today. Pat

Comment

I have an 82 GS1100E and when I picked it up while running at idle I could hear a sizzling sound. I tracked it down to a very hot and self destructed connector on my R/R. I found it to be very corroded and just eliminated the connector could this be a sign that my R/R is kicking out too much juice?

And where do I find the list to tell me which Honda R/R to swap too?

It's very strange that it would be to a Honda, if you do any kind of research on the CB's of the same years you will find that the charging system is crap.

Comment

Originally posted by buster View Post
                              I have an 82 GS1100E and when I picked it up while running at idle I could hear a sizzling sound. I tracked it down to a very hot and self destructed connector on my R/R. I found it to be very corroded and just eliminated the connector could this be a sign that my R/R is kicking out too much juice?
                              No, the r/r is not "kicking out too much juice". What that means is the the connection was dirty. A little bit of electricity found a way to spark across the dirt. That left a bit of carbon, making it easier for more electricity to make its way across the gap. A spark is MUCH hotter than just having current flow through a wire. That is why they use a large, controlled spark to do welding. Clean or replace your connectors and things will be back to 'normal'. If you replace your connectors, consider using blade-type connectors instead of bullet-type. They work better and last longer.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X