Carb Cleaning Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Cleaning Tool

I ran across this tool when I was looking for something small to add to my order at Dennis Kirk. I just recieved it today.
    http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...afCatId=&mmyId=

I wish I had this when I was following the excellent carb cleaning instructions on this sit a few months ago. The trick, noted in those instructions, about putting a wire brush bristle in a matchstick was good, but this might be a little faster or more throrough. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I will when I tear the carbs down to install a Dynojet stage I kit in a few weeks.

Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2007, 06:03 PM.

F A N C Y !

Comment

That looks just like my tip cleaner for a cutting torch, great idea tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepin View Post
        That looks just like my tip cleaner for a cutting torch, great idea tho.
        That's exactly what it is. See your friendly local welding and torch supplier.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Harbor Freight sells them (at least they used to).
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

ah, i have one of those and never used it in ten yrs, wish id thought of carb cleanin with it

bet i cant find it now

Comment

Originally posted by denydog View Post
              I ran across this tool when I was looking for something small to add to my order at Dennis Kirk. I just recieved it today.
              http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...afCatId=&mmyId=

I wish I had this when I was following the excellent carb cleaning instructions on this sit a few months ago. The trick, noted in those instructions, about putting a wire brush bristle in a matchstick was good, but this might be a little faster or more throrough. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I will when I tear the carbs down to install a Dynojet stage I kit in a few weeks.

So let me get this straight, you run a "file" in and out of brass jets. Sounds like a good way to make the bike run richer when u increase the hole/s. Do as you want i say , ill stick with good old air.

Comment

mine has considerably more straight thin rods than files, there are files but id never use those

the rods are of differing diameter so perfect for the job as long as the dont get bent

no one recommends anything other than air, but we all know thin wire is far better used with air

Comment

Agreed -- if you saw back and forth with anything, you can definitely create some big problems.

However, there are times when a jet or passage is clogged with gunk to the point that you have to gently poke something through there to open a small passage so that carb cleaner/dip and air can begin to work.

Personally, I'd feel far more comfortable using a piece of soft copper wire, but sometimes you run up against deposits that are too hard for that.

Of course, the best way is to replace jets that are clogged to this degree with new OEM jets (NOT the crap in rebuild kits). But there are still a lot of passages in carbs that might need some physical help to open up.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Nice tool, but I would be sure to use one of the tips that is too small for the opening to minimize the chance of filing it larger.

What I have used (rather sucessfully) is a strand or two of copper wire. Take some stranded wire of 10- or 12-gauge, strip back the insulation to expose about 2 inches of wire. Cut one of the strands, use needle-nose pliers to poke it through the jets. If the strand is too small, take two or three of them and twist them together. Great for poking through the gunk with minimal chance of damage to the jets.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Nice tool, but I would be sure to use one of the tips that is too small for the opening to minimize the chance of filing it larger.

What I have used (rather sucessfully) is a strand or two of copper wire. Take some stranded wire of 10- or 12-gauge, strip back the insulation to expose about 2 inches of wire. Cut one of the strands, use needle-nose pliers to poke it through the jets. If the strand is too small, take two or three of them and twist them together. Great for poking through the gunk with minimal chance of damage to the jets.
                      You just saved me $10 thanks lol. I never thought of that :P I got tons of wire!

Comment

Update

I'm just finishing cleaning up my carbs (again) and had a chance to use this tool. I used it pretty aggressively, and cannot see any wear or damage to the jets from using this tool. The ridges on the tool are not at all sharp like a file, and do not seem to be much, if any harder than the jets themselves. It seems to have a good balance of cleaning ability without being too harsh. I found that several of the tool's diameters matched up with my jets very well. In summery, I found the tool to be convenient, and it seemed to work well, even though my carbs did not have a whole lot of buildup this time.
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-22-2007, 02:26 PM.

Comment

guitar string

cheaper than the tools are a old set modified electric guitar strings get your buddy from the band to give you his throw aways
                          unwind a G string and wallla! pilot jet perfect!!
                          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Just remember: if you're wrenching with a buddy and your "carb cleaning tool" isn't working right, DO NOT stand up and announce "I'm having trouble with my G string!".

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                              cheaper than the tools are a old set modified electric guitar strings get your buddy from the band to give you his throw aways
                              unwind a G string and wallla! pilot jet perfect!!
                              Being an old "Guitar-man" myself, and although I've used it, I would recommend treading very cautiously with a piece of guitar string in a carb jet. Guitar strings are hard drawn steel wire and this can be quite aggressive against a ID walls of brass jets and their orifices. My preference is one strand of electrical copper wire. Copper is softer than brass so there's little chance of doing damage. Just my $0.02 worth.

Comment

Working...
                              X