Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Suggestions???

Hey all,
    I'm working on an `81 GS550L. The throttle seems very heavy to me. I understand that I'm working 4 carbs, but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on how to lighten the throttle.

I've read the throttle mod, which is great if you want to reduce throttle travel, but the page (and physics) say that this will increase throttle tension. Makes sense as you are giving the carbs more leverage against you.

The obvious solution to me is to use big honkin' grips. Anybody got any alternatives?

A little bit of background info, second year with this project bike (first year was just to get it running). Point is, I've got a lot of cleaning to do with carbs and linkages and such which I'm hoping will help. I don't think anything has any excessive drag as the throttle does return on its own smoothly.

Any help, tips, or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What kinda condition is the cable in?
    Might be due for a new one.
    They're cheep enough, can hurt.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

The cable seems to be in decent shape, but I definently agree its time for a new one.
      (I knew there was something else I wanted to mention.)

Thanks for the thought!

Comment

Cables should be lubed regularly but seldom are. If they are not lubed they will tend to abrade or even break strands in the "barrel" which will cause the pull to tighten up as the cable rubs.

If its tight then you can try and clean it with some shots of penetrating fluid followed by agood cable lube. If no improvement then its time to change it out. Changing out is likely the best option IMHO.

Let us know when you sort it.

cheers,
        spyug

Comment

Thanks! This is on a long list of "winter projects" I'm definently replacing the cable because I was already stuck once last year with a busted clutch cable. I don't know when the other cables were changed, but they all will be this winter. As I said, I'm also doing some other clean work this winter so I'll probably be hitting it all at once, but I'll let ya'll know how I make out.

Thanks again for the input!

Comment

Whenever I work on a set of carbs, I am somewhat amazed at the effort it takes to open the butterflies.

However, when I get them on the bike, I am similarly amazed at how easily they can be opened with the throttle grip.

Get new cables (OEM, if you can) for the throttle and clutch, at a minimum. New tach and speedo cables would be icing on the cake.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X