Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

desperate on a stuck screw

so I tried this:

I stuck my #3 bit in a 1/4" socket and it worked for the spaces where I couldnt get the impact driver in. The wrench head makes it so you can push in with most of your weight/as much as the center stand will allow, and the handle gives you the leverage to break the bolts loose.

only problem is it only works if the screw hasnt been damaged from failed attempts with the impact or another screwdriver.

Just thought Id throw in something tried and it worked. I hope this helps someone else in the future

I think thats a #2 phillips tip....Whatever, its a good idea. Next time youre at the tool store buy a dedicated apex bit socket. Its magnetic so the bit dont fall out.

The ratchet is great until you run into a tight spot. Thats when I grab an air ratchet.

If the phillips screw head is F'ed up grab a dremel and cut a straight slot in it. Then use a straight apex bit.
    Last edited by bonanzadave; 01-23-2011, 08:26 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      I think thats a #2 phillips tip....Whatever, its a good idea. Next time youre at the tool store buy a dedicated apex bit socket. Its magnetic so the bit dont fall out.

The ratchet is great until you run into a tight spot. Thats when I grab an air ratchet.
      Yeah, I do that too. I can do more damage that way. If I'm going to ruin a screw head I'm going to do it so well that I have to drill it out.

Comment

before fighting muc more, take a hammer, and that bit, just it it a few times with the hammer. impact will help break the bond.

Comment

Vise grips are your friend. If you can get the opposite screw out ? Just hit the boot with a hammer CC direction, to get it to move and the bolt will come loose

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            Vise grips are your friend. If you can get the opposite screw out ? Just hit the boot with a hammer CC direction, to get it to move and the bolt will come loose
            strangely enough, I tried this, but the boot spun and the screw made no movement.

I havent tried just hitting the bit though

Comment

BTW, most every hand impact driver that I have ever seen...
              Is a 3/8" drive if you take the top off.
              Have you tried just adding an extension to your driver?

Just sayin'

Daniel

Comment

Blow on it.

Comment

If the screw head isn't too buggered it is possible to tap it back so that the head closes up again then get the right bit and tap it back into the slots so's its tight again and very often if you keep stuff straight it is enough to get a second go.
                  sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Heat and vice grips are your friends here.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker88 View Post
                      before fighting muc more, take a hammer, and that bit, just it it a few times with the hammer. impact will help break the bond.
                      I was gonna mention same, I never use an impact driver, just use the Philip's adapter wrap in in a few times and normally the ratchet gives the leverage to break the threads loose.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        I was gonna mention same, I never use an impact driver, just use the Philip's adapter wrap in in a few times and normally the ratchet gives the leverage to break the threads loose.
                        These screws should be replaced anyway. I say just clamp the Vise Grips on there. If you need leverage for more torque, the back of the Vise Grips is the same size as the jaw opening of a Crescent wrench. Please don't forget the anti-seize when reassembling.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                          These screws should be replaced anyway. I say just clamp the Vise Grips on there. If you need leverage for more torque, the back of the Vise Grips is the same size as the jaw opening of a Crescent wrench. Please don't forget the anti-seize when reassembling.
                          Maybe we need a vice grip "How to guide"

Comment

This maybe me being a little hillbilly but what about a dremel with a cutting wheel on it and cutting a slot all the way accross the head and using the biggest flat head you can get in there.

Comment

Originally posted by russellhartzell View Post
                              This maybe me being a little hillbilly but what about a dremel with a cutting wheel on it and cutting a slot all the way accross the head and using the biggest flat head you can get in there.
                              I was actually gonna plan on doing this if I can get a hold of a dremel tool soon.

The vice grip suggestion is great, but they dont fit on the few bolts that are stuck on my bike
                              They are the ones on the stator cover on the corner by the starter.

Comment

Working...
                              X