Remove rust using Wood bleach!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove rust using Wood bleach!

Wood Bleach with Oxalic Acid. Works amazing. Wood bleach can be picked up for around $5 at almost any hardware store.

1.For every 5 gallons or so of warm water add 2(ish) tablespoons of Wood Bleach. (Doesn't take much!)
    2.Let your chrome peices soak for 12 to 36 hours, taking the pieces out a couple of times to use a sponge to wipe off the rust. (I changed the water once)
    3.Polish to your liking.

Here are some of my pictures

Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2011, 01:30 AM.

Looks great; unfortunately the OA (Oxalic Acid) won't help with any pitting that the rust might have caused.

Bicycle guys have been using this stuff for years....

Comment

wow, and no flash rust after? Do you have to neutralize it with anything?

Comment

Cool, I never heard of this method before.

Comment

Wow, I learned something new today...Thanks

Comment

Yeah, I'm definitely noting that one.

Cheap, readily available, and effective? The EPA must not know about it yet

Comment

Originally posted by ukilme View Post
              Cool, I never heard of this method before.
              Then you need to read a bit more

Wood bleach is exactly what I'm going to use as part of my tank 'derusting' process.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GK
                Oxalic acid is GREAT!

Be sure not to breathe it, use gloves and a face shield.

MSDS:
                Avantor sets science in motion by enabling innovation across the life sciences and technology industries. Learn more about Avantor and its solutions.

After a few hours, we pull the pieces out and rub with a toilet brush (Round, looks like a big pipe cleaner, as opposed the the loop version). The bristles are stiff, but won't damage the finish. Makes for better results.

Doesn't like brass/copper.

- JC

YES this stuff is evil. read the wiki article on it as well.
                As an aside it is interesting that the product is bilingual english and spanish. Society is being reflected in whatt is likely a combo marketing\liability concern.

Comment

I used stuff called ZUD, looks alot like Comet cleanser, but, it has oxylic acid in it and does a wonderful job of cleaning rusty parts and pieces. I found it at ACE Hardware. I've cleaned a couple exhausts with it. Just use some 0000 steel wool, water and scrub lightly. It's quite amazing how easily the rust just wipes away.
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                    I used stuff called ZUD, looks alot like Comet cleanser, but, it has oxylic acid in it and does a wonderful job of cleaning rusty parts and pieces. I found it at ACE Hardware. I've cleaned a couple exhausts with it. Just use some 0000 steel wool, water and scrub lightly. It's quite amazing how easily the rust just wipes away.

I too have used ZUD it is quite nice as it brightens metal but does not remove chromate or other metal treatments.
                    unlike evapo-rust which seems to take everything away and permanently etch metal

Comment

I didn't really leave it on. I just had a small bucket of warm water and the ZUD. Wet down the 0000 steel wool, sprinkle some ZUD on the steel wool and scrub. It's not the fastest method in the world, but you don't need a whole lot of elbow grease either. It didn't take off every last little bit of rust, but it did do a "good" job.....maybe if I dipped the exhaust in it it would have, but, I didn't have anything big enough to put a whole exhaust into.
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                      X