fixing header pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fixing header pipe

OK, so I asked before and was told one of the ways to get the dents out of my header exhaust pipe is with a 1 inch steel ball welded to a 3/8 rod and push the thing in and it will get some of the dent out

this is what I was shown

Thanks SVSooke

OK

so I got myself the steel ball....1 inch, or 25 mm

still have to put the rod on, but my question is will this really be big enough, I measured the outside of the pipe and it's 35mm in diameter, that's a 10mm diff

will it knock out the dents, it don't have to be completely dent free but somewhat, as my plan is to allow as much flow, and I am also going to wrap the pipes

these are the dents

Please tell me this will be just fine, it was a lot of trouble getting this steel ball, and it's not a ball bearing, so I will have less issues in welding up a rod to it.....

You were planning on heating the dented areas up before inserting the ball right?

Eric

Comment

Well I thought I would try it dry and cold first....LOL

Yes, was going to apply heat to the area, MAP gas, I don't have access to a real torch...

I just wasn't sure if the ball was the right size, now that I actually have it in my hands.

Comment

The ball is probably big enough to get most of it, but it would really help if you had help, one person on the torch, and I would find someone with acetylene and oxygen, and glow it red, slide it rapidly in/out while heated, will get most all of it out, haven't done this, but seen it a few times, works like magic, but wasting your time without adequate heat.

Comment

Thanks old_skool

was going to get a buddy to help out as I don't think I can hold the pipes in a jig or anything and apply heat and push that ball around, I only have 2 arms...LOL

so a bit of help will be needed for sure....

if it don't work out, there is a welding shop not far away, can ask then for a bit of assistance as well, gonna cost me some, but at least it would get done, and probably a lot faster....

Comment

gk try heating the dents with a torch, and use a long crow bar to push out the dents, dont get the pipes to red or they will melt, that ball is going to be a pain in the arse i have done it, a long small pipe or bar would be better

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
              gk try heating the dents with a torch, and use a long crow bar to push out the dents, don't get the pipes to red or they will melt, that ball is going to be a pain in the arse i have done it, a long small pipe or bar would be better
              It may have worked for you, but I've seen the ball work well, pain or not, I've seen people use pipes and other items only to gouge the pipe and make the dent worse and harder to remove, the smoothness of the ball is to prevent this from happening, getting a pipe red should not melt it, using the torch is just for heating it, you don't squeeze the trigger to add oxygen like your cutting it. I'm not going to say your wrong, just I've seen that idea go wrong for some, I've never seen anyone damage a pipe with the ball method, a little patience goes a long way.

Another problem trying to use a stiff piece of whatever, is that you usually can't reach most of the dents due to the curvature of the pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
                gk try heating the dents with a torch, and use a long crow bar to push out the dents, dont get the pipes to red or they will melt, that ball is going to be a pain in the arse i have done it, a long small pipe or bar would be better
                will try with the ball first and some heat, and then move on from there...

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                It may have worked for you, but I've seen the ball work well, pain or not, I've seen people use pipes and other items only to gouge the pipe and make the dent worse and harder to remove, the smoothness of the ball is to prevent this from happening, getting a pipe red should not melt it, using the torch is just for heating it, you don't squeeze the trigger to add oxygen like your cutting it. I'm not going to say your wrong, just I've seen that idea go wrong for some, I've never seen anyone damage a pipe with the ball method, a little patience goes a long way.

Another problem trying to use a stiff piece of whatever, is that you usually can't reach most of the dents due to the curvature of the pipe.
                very valid points

I am going to give it a shot, and it don't have to be perfect, as I mentioned I plan on wrapping the pipes, just wanted to get the major dent out as much as possible so there is less constriction, and if not, well the wrap will cover the dent, and if nothing else it will look nice....

I will post my results, either way....

Comment

Be careful heating and poking with a non-rounded object as it is easy to poke holes in hot/thin-walled metal.

Eric

Comment

For sure.....^^another good point

maybe I should just JB Weld the dent from the outside and make the pipe look round....

Comment

Working...
                    X