Tips on getting carbs back on bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on getting carbs back on bike?

Ok so I have taken on and off the carbs on my gs550l about 4 times now and every time I struggle to get the intake boots from the air box to the carbs. the middle ones are hard to on all the way. I have the bolts taken off the air box and I use wd-40 on the boots and I wiggle and jiggle and push and pull to try and get them fully on. It takes me over an hour. I figure there must be a tip or trick to getting them on?

I don't know how the fit from airbox to air distributor to boots works on the 550, but there are a few pieces of advice I have based on my experience:

1. silicone lube makes the job much easier

2. Old hard, dry boots makes this the devil's playground

3. On my 650, I don't even bother unbolting the airbox from the frame, but I undo every clamp between the air filter housing and the carb bank. Then, there is enough room to slide the carbs in, and pull them BACK into the airbox boots. Once I get them in the boots, I clamp them down, and pull the entire contraption FORWARD to set the carbs in the intake boots. Get those setup, and I finally tighten down the clamp that holds the airfilter housing and the airbox (air distributor) together. That clamp can be tightened down before pulling the carbs forward if there is a problem with the filter housing and airbox separating.

Takes me about 15 minutes to get everything back together.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
      I don't know how the fit from airbox to air distributor to boots works on the 550, but there are a few pieces of advice I have based on my experience:

1. silicone lube makes the job much easier

2. Old hard, dry boots makes this the devil's playground

3. On my 650, I don't even bother unbolting the airbox from the frame, but I undo every clamp between the air filter housing and the carb bank. Then, there is enough room to slide the carbs in, and pull them BACK into the airbox boots. Once I get them in the boots, I clamp them down, and pull the entire contraption FORWARD to set the carbs in the intake boots. Get those setup, and I finally tighten down the clamp that holds the airfilter housing and the airbox (air distributor) together. That clamp can be tightened down before pulling the carbs forward if there is a problem with the filter housing and airbox separating.

Takes me about 15 minutes to get everything back together.
      Thank you I will try you suggestions

Comment

I used ratchet straps one time. One around the top of the carbs around the front of the engine and then one around the bottom of the carbs and around the front again. Then crank evenly and they pop in.

Comment

Originally posted by fuelcat View Post
          I have the bolts taken off the air box

I don't know about the L for sure, but on my 550T in addition to the bolts on the top of the airbox, there is also one on the side, above the starter solenoid and fuses. Taking that out gets a bit more space (I'd say almost 3/4 to 1 inch on my T).

See if you have one there to that might give you more space. After I found that one I've gotten to where I can have the carbs out, change jets and back in, in under an hour.

Amos

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigRed View Post
            After I found that one I've gotten to where I can have the carbs out, change jets and back in, in under an hour.
            And if you had an 850, that same job would take you about 20 minutes.

No, really. You can just about stand back and throw the carbs into place.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              And if you had an 850, that same job would take you about 20 minutes.

No, really. You can just about stand back and throw the carbs into place.

LOL! Funny

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigRed View Post
                I don't know about the L for sure, but on my 550T in addition to the bolts on the top of the airbox, there is also one on the side, above the starter solenoid and fuses. Taking that out gets a bit more space (I'd say almost 3/4 to 1 inch on my T).

See if you have one there to that might give you more space. After I found that one I've gotten to where I can have the carbs out, change jets and back in, in under an hour.

Amos
                Ill check on that. Thanks!

Comment

wow you guys are great! 15-20 min! now thats what I would like to happen for me! I have bruises all down my forearms! So I set the carbs into the air box side first? I have been putting them into the engine side first

Comment

LOL! Funny
                    Funny, but darn near TRUE.

wow you guys are great! 15-20 min! now thats what I would like to happen for me!
                    You will have to change bikes for that to happen. Those little bikes just don't have a lot of "wiggle" room.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

At least on mine it seems to give me a little more room if I pop the fender out and push it towards the rear wheel. I hate dealing with the box and carbs on the 550. That simple hatred alone is quite the argument for pods...

Comment

Originally posted by Dreef1999 View Post
                        At least on mine it seems to give me a little more room if I pop the fender out and push it towards the rear wheel. I hate dealing with the box and carbs on the 550. That simple hatred alone is quite the argument for pods...
                        I started considering The pods because of the pain in the ass factor of getting the carbs on and off. yet again I have to take the carbs back off because I f%$#ed up on the timing and have to do that all over again. I can't get the tensioner off with out taking the carbs off..pooo! Thanks to advise I got on this thread I am able to get them back on in an half hour rather than an hour with less bruises on my arms. I found that lube and getting them into the air box boots first, clamp them down then work them into the engine side by pushing in from the air box. I took all the screws that hold the air box off first. I even used a rubber hammer to tap on the carb bracket until they popped into the boots but very carefully.

Comment

Go to your next fair and get one of those square wood yard sticks they give out and use it to pry against the back side of the carbs and the cross member on the frame. The cross member right by where the tank is held down. Works great for me and I never damage or mar anything. Also a little silicone grease on the intake manifolds lets the carbs slip in easier, aids in sealing them, and takes heat very well.
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2012, 12:30 AM.

Comment

I started considering The pods because of the pain in the ass factor of getting the carbs on and off.
                            Well, if you go with pods, get used to taking the carbs off several MORE times.

Yep, there will be a few sessions of fine-tuning the jetting.

Or, you could simply spend about $100 for new boots and make the experience almost pleasant.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by bomber737 View Post
                              Go to your next fair and get one of those square wood yard sticks they give out and use it to pry against the back side of the carbs and the cross member on the frame. The cross member right by where the tank is held down. Works great for me and I never damage or mar anything. Also a little silicone grease on the intake manifolds lets the carbs slip in easier, aids in sealing them, and takes heat very well.
                              That sounds good!

Comment

Working...
                              X