Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice required using new table lift

I now have a new table lift.

I have the bike (81 GS1000G) on the centre stand.

One of my mates uses a rear race stand on his bike lift.

Others have recommended against it.

Any thoughts or recommendations.

With the 1000G the rear on the pumpkin side doesn't seem to have a good spot for the stand to support the bike.
    Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
    1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
    1977 GS400
    1974 Montesa 250
    1960s Kawasaki 175

Try to contact Rustbronco on this forum as he has one and has hoisted a big G on it. I believe that he even posted a video.

Comment

As long as the center stand doesn't interfere with what you are working on I'd use that before all else.

Comment

That's never going to work right for you. Pack it up and ship it to me
        Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
        Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
          That's never going to work right for you. Pack it up and ship it to me
          Shipping would be a killer!

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm getting a bit more confident having her up in the air.
          Johno

1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

1977 GS400
          1974 Montesa 250
          1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

In fact my bike has been up on one of these over at Joe Nardy's place many times. For general work and rear tire changes it was just fine up on the center stand. To change the front tire it goes on the center stand and he has something like this to lift the front-end up.

But for his bikes that don't have center stands he uses a race stand. Of course the bike always gets a couple of straps to secure the bike to the lift regardless of the method used to lift the front or rear wheel.

Good luck!
            Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
            Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
              ...Of course the bike always gets a couple of straps to secure the bike to the lift regardless of the method used to lift the front or rear wheel...
              Very important but often overlooked point...
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                Very true, work college of mine recently told me of a terrible accident where a guy had a BMW GS on his elevated stand, don't remember all the ins and outs but the bike fell sideways off the lifter and partly landed on his Son, not nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Johno View Post
                  I now have a new table lift.

I have the bike (81 GS1000G) on the centre stand.

One of my mates uses a rear race stand on his bike lift.

Others have recommended against it.

Any thoughts or recommendations.

With the 1000G the rear on the pumpkin side doesn't seem to have a good spot for the stand to support the bike.

no problems with using a race stand for the rear they are very stable, tiedowns are a must
                  i never use the cheap ratchet straps like in your pic i always use the proper aerofast motorcycle tiedowns never broken one whereas ive busted a few of the ratchet type

ozman

Comment

Thanks ozman, appreciate the local advice as well.

I'll have a careful look at quality straps and keep the other for the box trailer
                    Johno

1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

1977 GS400
                    1974 Montesa 250
                    1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                      Last weekend! I moved the straps from the bars to over the front tire to make some clearance for my head. Then I went inside for lunch. Fortunately no damage other than a busted socket rail and a smashed quart of oil

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                        Try to contact Rustybronco on this forum as he has one and has hoisted a big G on it. I believe that he even posted a video.
                        Sorry folks, I just now saw this thread. The only thing I ever done is put it up on the centerstand. I suspect if you needed additional clearance for the rear you could hook a small ratchet strap hooked between the table and triple and use it to collapse the front forks.
                        Last edited by rustybronco; 01-05-2015, 03:48 PM.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

You can put a Harley on a handy Lift, Ive had one for 25 years. 10 years ago I had to replace the $5 o-ring in the cylinder, that's it. It will work without straps but they make me feel better to use them

Comment

Working...
                          X