Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork dampener bolt really stuck

Hi friends,

It's been quite an adventure trying to replace my fork seals this weekend. Everything was going smoothly...

Forks off:

Removed the circlip:

Borrowed the special tool from Ms. SqDancerLynn1:

But this dang bolt, there on the bottom, would not budge:

I bought the right tools:

I soaked the bolts in WD40 (It's all I had handy):

I even went over to Ms. SqDancerLynn's to use her vice and torch to heat it up:

Then we used my impact driver and a sledge hammer. But all we did was booger the head on one bolt and, before we boogered the other one, we decided neither was coming out and would have to be drilled. Bother.

The previous owner had some front end work done before he sold it. I have the receipt. They replaced the upper tubes with nice parts from Forking by Frank. They must've used some kind of super-duper gorilla snot glue on the dampener bolts and really torqued them down with an air wrench.

So I'm going to put it back together so I can ride while I order the dampener bolts and other miscellaneous stuff I need. My forks have been leaking for months. I suppose a couple more weeks won't hurt.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent a little and thank Lynn for all her help. We'll drill out the stuck bolts after I get the new parts in. That way I'll have less downtime.

If any of you were wrenching this weekend, I hope it went better than mine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2011, 08:16 PM.

Wow, please let me know how you actually got them out Cliff. I'm going to start on mine in a couple of months and am hoping I don't have any surprises like that.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

They really shouldn't be that much trouble. It's the dreaded "let the 'professionals' do it" syndrome. My bike will NEVER see the inside of a shop as long as I live. I promise.

BassCliff

Comment

I've always loosened them with an air ratchet (with a good quality allen socket) just after dropping the wheel and before removing the fender.
        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Sorry to hear of your issue with those stubborn bolts holding the forks together...........and you're probably very right in saying that some super gorilla snot glue stuff must have been used. Do you have access to an impact air gun? I get the feeling that an air impact in combination with some heat would do it.

Comment

Cliff, stop right now! don't drill them out if you don't have to!

more than likely someone used red locktite when putting it back together.

those allen bolts are very soft. take a punch and hammer it around the outside of the damaged cap screw trying to close it back up. the object is get the allen 'socket' of the bolt back into something that resembles the undamaged shape. then find someone with an impact gun, whack your allen bit with a hammer into the bolt making sure it's bottomed out as best possible and squeeze the trigger...

I've loosened up some really buggered up allen bolts with that method before.

P.S. nice nails Lynn
            Last edited by rustybronco; 02-19-2011, 09:02 PM.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I wouldn't drill them out either

It's an allen bolt, use a dremel and grind the head off of it

Less chance of punching an unwanted hole in your fork leg that way
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi,

Thank you, my friends. Drilling will be the last resort. I'm getting new bolts/washers just in case. I'll certainly try an air wrench before breaking out the dremels or drills. Stay tuned.

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2011, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Cliff,
                  I'd heat up those bolts as hot as you can - all the metal around them will draw the heat away so you need to take your time. Heat and an impact gun should get er done.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've only ever needed the impact wrench (not impact driver). Maybe I've never encountered the red Loctite. You do have to be careful to make sure the bit is fully engaged though. I nearly destroyed one when the bit jumped out. The impact wrench chewed up half the socket before I could react.

I like to have a set of these screws on hand when I take a new (to me) set of forks apart. The half-dozen or so I've been into had a high rate of boogered up socket heads.

Cliff, if you do have to drill it, I have two sets of pitted forks I haven't pitched yet with damper rods that cross-reference to your 850G(T). PM if you need 'em.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

You could always use your teeth.

Loctite's website has info on how to back out bolts that have the red loctite on it. Might be worth a read.

Comment

Mine were like that too. Sucked ! I spend a fair amount of time removing stubborn bolts from airplanes that are 3x as old as our bikes so I live the frustration. Listen to Rusty. My M.O. is to never F up the fastener head unless its a screw smaller than 1/4". Then you can cut a slot in the head and use a big screwdriver. On the fork bolts I used a lot of penetrate oil (nut buster, kroil,...) heat and an air impact. By the time they were out I needed new bolts only available at Suzuki ($7 ea ).

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                        My forks have been leaking for months. I suppose a couple more weeks won't hurt.
                        Couldnt ya put the new seals in without removing the bolts ?
                        Last edited by bonanzadave; 02-20-2011, 12:03 PM.
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Sometimes you can chamfer the tip of a slightly larger size allen socket and
                          drive it in with a large hammer and then hit it with an impact gun.
                          Pow and off!
                          Forgot to add that a TX socket also has a taper to it and can also be driven in for a tight fit.
                          Same result, bolt comes out.

Daniel
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2011, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Ed, Dale, Dave, Daniel, et al,

Thank you very much for sharing your expertise. I'm going to put it back together for now, order parts and put together the necessary tools for another try after the parts get here.

Originally posted by bonanzadave
                            Couldnt ya put the new seals in without removing the bolts ?
                            I thought about this. Is it really possible to dig out the old seals and slip the new ones on over the inner fork tube? Have you ever tried it?

Thanks to everyone for all your support in my little fork issue. You guys are great. I mean it.

BassCliff

Comment

I dont think that little torch is enough. Ya need to heat the entire area to melt the loctite.
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                              .................________-|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                              X