Earlier Front Caliper Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earlier Front Caliper Rebuild

I'm finally tackling rebuilding my front caliper and I've run into snags.

Its the earlier front caliper that looks like this...

The first thing I found was that the chamber in the caliper for the "holder" (#7) was filled with yellow dust. What is this stuff and how did it get in here? There is no apparent access to brake fluid in this chamber.

The "axles" (#11 and #12) had no grease on them whatsoever, are they supposed to?

Both boots (#3 and #5) were torn and need to be replaced, I can not find any source for the piston boot, if you have one or both, I'd like it.

I'm happy to say that the piston is beautiful, no pitting or anything and the piston seal had nothing behind it, no gunk, no corrosion, strange...

I'm thinking of writing a rebuild guide for this style of caliper because I couldn't find one on Cliff's site, is there any interest in that?

Comment

Sorry Adler. I had that same one originally but got rid of them because I couldn't get the brake pads here locally. At the time I wasn't as big on buying from places like Z1 but I'm getting over that.

Have you called Z1 and seen if maybe they can get it?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Sorry Adler. I had that same one originally but got rid of them because I couldn't get the brake pads here locally. At the time I wasn't as big on buying from places like Z1 but I'm getting over that.

Have you called Z1 and seen if maybe they can get it?
        I send them an e-mail, I assume they'll get back to me on Monday. To get rid of the older caliper is it as simple as getting a later one? Do they just bolt right up?

Comment

Mine did. I went from that to a 650 of I think 81 or so and it bolted right in. Course I found out afterwards I have 750 forks on my bike.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Intriguing, I'll keep that in mind if I can't get those boots.

Comment

CMS in Holland carries all the rubber parts for the rebuild of those calipers (I just did mine). Good service..... and they speak English.

CMSNL specializes in Honda Motorcycle Parts, Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts, Yamaha and Suzuki OEM and Aftermarket Motorcycle Parts for Classic Bikes, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Snowmobiles and more

Pics of the rebuild

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                Both boots (#3 and #5) were torn and need to be replaced, I can not find any source for the piston boot, if you have one or both, I'd like it.
                They still appear to be available new. have you tried ordering them?

if they aren't, we're both, Ummm... shall we say... what's that word?
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by GS Jim View Post
                  CMS in Holland carries all the rubber parts for the rebuild of those calipers (I just did mine). Good service..... and they speak English.

CMSNL specializes in Honda Motorcycle Parts, Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts, Yamaha and Suzuki OEM and Aftermarket Motorcycle Parts for Classic Bikes, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Snowmobiles and more

Pics of the rebuild

http://s654.photobucket.com/albums/u...ild/?start=all
                  Are you sure? Its not in their fische...

Thats a good rebuilt pictorial, you should get that published on BassCliff's site.

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  They still appear to be available new. have you tried ordering them?

if they aren't, we're both, Ummm... shall we say... what's that word?
                  I contacted 2 places (one of them is Z1) and only #5 seems to be available.

Comment

Are you sure? Its not in their fische...

Thats a good rebuilt pictorial, you should get that published on BassCliff's site.
                    Thanks, I sent a write-up to BassCliff and I believe he'll put it up when he gets a chance.

I just checked CMS's site, and they do have the parts for your rebuild available. I read somewhere your bike is the "L" model, correct? If so, go here: http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs1000-l...ist/95505.html

The parts are available and listed as such:

Part Number Description Price
                    3) 5911134020 O RING € 2.00
                    4) 5910734020 SEAL, PISTON € 4.00
                    5) 5910834020 BOOT, PISTON € 4.50
                    6) 5911234020 BOOT, HOLDER € 4.00

By the way, when I ordered my parts, they had all the rubber parts in stock, but not the front spindel I needed. This delayed shipment by 2 weeks. In hindsight, if I had ordered by phone, I could have asked them to ship the stuff they had in stock which would have allowed me to get a head start on the project. I would therefore recommend you order by phone and inquire if all you need is in stock or not.

When ordering, make SURE you have the right bike model (and country), as they carry parts for the same bikes over the entire range of models. For example the left side handle-bar switch assembly for the US spec 1980 GS1000S is unlike that of my 1980 German spec GS1000S.

And finally, their phone number is somewhat buried in their site, so here it is. From the 'States or Canada, dial 011 31-320-265120

The rest of their contact info is:
                    Address:
                    Artemisweg 245
                    8239 DD Lelystad
                    The Netherlands

Tel. : +31 (0) 320-265120
                    Fax : +31 (0) 320-268496
                    Business hours
                    Monday till Friday 09.00-12.30 13.00-17.00 CET
                    Closed on saturday, sunday & public holidays

Disclaimer: I'm not associated with CMS in any way, just a satisfied customer. FWIW, I've placed about half a dozen orders with them and never had a problem.

Comment

Hmm, my local dealer site says "Call for price"

You are replacing the O ring, right?

That yellow stuff is what happens when brake fluid doesn't get renewed
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

GS Jim;

Now that IS interesting. The page you sent me to is for the GS1000L, my model is a 550. The interesting part is that the boot looks the same! Anyone know if the caliper on a 1000 is bigger then a 550? Can the boot interchange???

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        Hmm, my local dealer site says "Call for price"

You are replacing the O ring, right?

That yellow stuff is what happens when brake fluid doesn't get renewed
                        There is no brake fluid in that chamber.

Comment

Hi,

Here ya go Mr. Adler...

79 GS1000S Front Brake Caliper Rebuild
                          by Mr. GS Jim (not 'GSJim')

Thank you for your induklgence,

BassCliff

Comment

There is no brake fluid in that chamber.
                            Exactly - I replaced my rear brake pads last year. While I was cleaning the caliper, I checked the piston (bad). Got a rebuild kit and opened the caliper - nothing but water and crystals in there.

It still worked
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

GS Jim;

Now that IS interesting. The page you sent me to is for the GS1000L, my model is a 550. The interesting part is that the boot looks the same! Anyone know if the caliper on a 1000 is bigger then a 550? Can the boot interchange???
                              Adler, did you try to navigate the CMS site ?? - it's quite easy. They have pretty much everything. Check the part numbers, but the calipers on the standard 77 - 79 and 1979 GS550L look to be the same as the those on my 1000

1979 GS550L
                              ✓access the FRONT CARIPERS schematic✓find Suzuki FRONT CARIPERS spares easily✓OEM parts online available

1977 -79 standard GS550

✓ Official Suzuki parts list ✓ Easy repairs with OEM diagrams ✓ Free acccess to parts fiches for Suzuki GS550 1977 (B) USA (E03)
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2011, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X