Rebuild front forks or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild front forks or replace?

I'm really trying to not spam the forum with a lot of questions, but I'm not coming across a lot of answers in my searches.

The front of my GS650 dives like crazy, it's dangerous and I obviously need to do something about it.

Is there a buy it and your done rebuild kit?

If I wanted to lower the front an inch or two, is there a kit/how-to for that?

Thanks in advanced for all the help!

Sounds like you'll want to check your steering bearings and stuff out to ensure they are still okay.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

There's loads of things you can do but the simplest would be to strip the forks and rebuild them - they shouldn't be doing what they're doing. Chances are there's no oil in there and / or the springs are fooked.

Folks tend to fit Progressive springs as a much improved replacement and they do make the front end a lot better than stock.

If you want to lower the front end (though I wouldn't) you can just let the stanchions come through the triple tree a bit.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Sounds like you'll want to check your steering bearings and stuff out to ensure they are still okay.
        Thank you!

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
        There's loads of things you can do but the simplest would be to strip the forks and rebuild them - they shouldn't be doing what they're doing. Chances are there's no oil in there and / or the springs are fooked.

Folks tend to fit Progressive springs as a much improved replacement and they do make the front end a lot better than stock.

If you want to lower the front end (though I wouldn't) you can just let the stanchions come through the triple tree a bit.
        Where is the best and cheapest place to get the Progressive springs and seals from? Google isn't finding them for me.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
          Google isn't finding them for me.
          What do you expect, you! have to look for them.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

It may change your steering setup slightly but regular 650G forks are shorter. Plus they have mounts for dual disks.

If you want single disk, older 550e forks should also mount up. I would imagine there are plenty of 35mm forks that will fit in triple tree from many makes. Try this link from Bass Cliff site for a list of compatible forks.

Comment

Rebuild the forks, it's easy.

Usually you just need fork seals....get 'em from z1enterprises.com

Then make your own fork oil.

Re-assemble, and done!

Comment

The front ends on these bikes are real soft, its the spring that is soft the oil is to tune the rebound. I bought a set of progressive springs for mine (about $70), seals (dont buy the leak proof they usually leak, $20-$30), and I think it takes 10 weight fork oil. I forget the size washers and PVC I used but I believe I cut 2 pieces 4" or so and put a washer on top of the spring, then the PVC, then another washer under the cap to set the preload. It makes a huge difference on the handling and shouldnt take longer than 2 hours to do. Loosen the caps before loosening the pinch bolts its a lot easier.

Comment

So this is all I would need? http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1389

That and oil?

Comment

I went to Bent Bike (a used bike part shop here in seattle area) and got used forks that don't leak and put them on. I did change the fork oil though, and glad I did, one side was trashed. I don't have the tool take apart that bottom bolt. 100 bucks for them. When these go I'll have to man up and figure a way to do them. Until then ................I'm ridin

Comment

Yes those seals will work, and I think its 10 weight oil. Just doing seals and oil wont solve your diving problem the oil slows down how fast the forks extend after you compress them, the springs are what makes it stiffer. You might be able to put spacers in the stock springs to stiffen the preload up, but Ive never tried that. The progressive springs are the way to go I weigh in at 220 lbs and I could compress the stock forks all the way by pushing on the bars with the front brake on, and now it rides comfortable with me on it.

Comment

Hi,

You'll find a couple of fork seal replacement/fork rebuild guides on my little website. To do a complete job you will also need new washers for the dampener bolts on the bottom of the forks (although you could re-use those if you want) and the O-rings at the top of the forks. Some even replace the teflon bushings in the lower fork tubes, but that is rarely necessary. I also replaced the dust caps when I installed new seals. The bearings in the steering head should be checked. If they have play in them or are worn they should be replaced.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X