Dunlop 404's and hot tire carcass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunlop 404's and hot tire carcass

I recently got my '82 GS 850GZ running and life is great.
    I installed a Dunlop 404 on the rear as I have run these before and have done well. I have run these on smaller bikes and always noticed that they run very hot tread faces in warm weather.

Well, I am sort of appalled at just how hot this 404 runs on this 850! The heat generated does not really seem to be contingent/correlate with tire pressure. The other day, when the temps were well into the 90's F., I could not leave my hand on the face of the tread AT ALL...it was so HOT! The tire felt good....ran good....and I was only running at very moderate speeds (55 mph max).

Last week, I scored another rear wheel on ebay and mounted a used Continental Conti Go (after replacing the wheel bearings and using good constant velocity grease on the splines, yada, yada...). (Before you ask, this Conti still has a very fresh date on it). After running the same roads at almost as high a ambient temp, there is never a time when I can't leave my hand on the tread face. I do not have a sophisticated way to measure the temp on these tires.

Any of you guys run Dunlop 404's on this large a bike? Anyone ever had one of these "pop" or any sort of obvious carcass problems? Most of the Hardley's I see run these tires.

I had a 404 on my 1100 and hated it. Very loose in the corners and wanted to follow every groove in the pavement. I recently switched to an Avon Roadrider, thanks to popular advise on this site. I love the Avon. A way better tire than the 404. Feels like a different bike and it makes me feel safer driving it.

Comment

I have them on my 550 but don't know enough to fully understand how they work. Is being hot a bad thing?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Well, yes, it would seem as though this much heat would lead to some sort of failure.
        The tire was still riding well, braking well, and cornering well. Is it safe to walk up to the Hardleys and palpate their tread faces during the Sturgis rally?.....probably not.

Anybody else?

Comment

What tire pressures are you using?

And yes, I've used Dunlop 404s and they were crap. Fortunately, they wear out fast.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Just racked up 600 miles on my 404's. 95 degs day time, rain/wet....good traction. No complaints. High mph too!

Didn't feel them for temp though.....

Comment

Originally posted by 58yroldbikr View Post
              I had a 404 on my 1100 and hated it. Very loose in the corners and wanted to follow every groove in the pavement. I recently switched to an Avon Roadrider, thanks to popular advise on this site. I love the Avon. A way better tire than the 404. Feels like a different bike and it makes me feel safer driving it.
              Me too! They are the best tire I have used so far and they don't cost much either!

Will

Comment

Tire pressures?
                28 to mid 30's.
                I weigh about 190 and carry probably 25 lbs of water and tools and various gear.
                Just yesterday, I was out ripping across eastern Wyo. in 95 F heat with the GPZ and it's Conti Go's. The rear never got as hot and I was running 60 to 85 mph (when safe).
                I think I will be on Conti Go's from here on. I like them, but I don't think they will be high-mileage tires. The Conti's have a ridge at the top of the tread face (sidewall) which I honestly think does work to maintain consistent tread face in hard cornering. Me like!

Comment

Originally posted by Dakotakid View Post
                  Tire pressures?
                  28 to mid 30's.
                  I weigh about 190 and carry probably 25 lbs of water and tools and various gear.
                  Just yesterday, I was out ripping across eastern Wyo. in 95 F heat with the GPZ and it's Conti Go's. The rear never got as hot and I was running 60 to 85 mph (when safe).
                  I think I will be on Conti Go's from here on. I like them, but I don't think they will be high-mileage tires. The Conti's have a ridge at the top of the tread face (sidewall) which I honestly think does work to maintain consistent tread face in hard cornering. Me like!

For starters, your tire pressures are too low.

Try something more like 36F/40R.

The tire pressure recommendations in the manual were developed by Suzuki's Hobbit-sized Japanese test riders using the brick-like rubber available in the '70s. They do not apply to modern tires carrying full-grown riders and luggage.

If you want to apply science, what you're after is an approximate 10% rise in pressure hot vs. cold. For example, if the rear is at 40psi cold, it should be around 44psi hot. You have to experiment over the course of several days.

Good to see some feedback on the Contis.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Just tonight I found your earlier thread on 404's. I should have used the search. I'll up the pressure when this wheel goes back on.

Related topic: I fear flats when riding. Besides the obvious reason, I am single and really do not have a back-up to call to "come get me." Additionally, all my friends in the area have demanding jobs and can't be bothered to retrieve me. My rides take me into rather desolate areas (which I really prefer).

I have been carrying an automotive 12-volt tire pump with me on the GS (although it takes up a fair amount of room). My smaller bags on the GPZ will not accommodate this pump so I have no back-up there.

For those of you, who live a rather solitary life (such as I), how do you cover that base? What are viable options other than a tire pump?

Comment

Do you have towing on your insurance policy or have any kind of roadside assistance? Might be a thought to look into something like that.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

On my '82 850 I run 38 psi in the rear tire.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

The avon roadriders have problems. You should look at the threads for sidewall cracks at less the 1000 miles. The dunlop touring elite II K491 are the tire. Never ever had a flat with those. The only problem is that they don't make a 17 inch rear anymore. I would not recommend the Avons to anyone.

Originally posted by 58yroldbikr View Post

Comment

Working...
                          X