Homemade bead breaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade bead breaker

I needed to pull a tire off of a rim to get it ready to ship so I thought I'd share a few pictures of the ram I made years ago to break the bead. A little soapy water and a few pushes on the lever and the bead is off of the rim. It takes longer to pull the hunk out of storage than to break the bead. I end up standing on the tire then forcing the lever down. A few 2x4 and a couple of bolts are all that's needed.

Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2011, 09:30 PM.

Thats slick as dog snot on a screen door handle!!!! Wheres the duct tape for the handle grip...LOL
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Nifty piece of ingenuity there Billy. I'll be down when it's time to re-shoe!
      '80 GS1000ST
      '92 ZX-11
      Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Nice work Billy.

This what Dan and I used until he bought a bead breaker from Harbor Freight.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Never popped a tire off a motorcycle wheel myself, just bicycles. Why is the bead so hard to break?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
            Never popped a tire off a motorcycle wheel myself, just bicycles. Why is the bead so hard to break?
            Tubeless rims have a lip on them to keep the bead seated. The tires fit on the rim so tight and over time stick to the rim, they are a bear to get popped off the rim with just tire irons. A few minutes with some long irons and the tire will be off the rim.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Thats slick as dog snot on a screen door handle!!!! Wheres the duct tape for the handle grip...LOL
              I may screw a 2X across the handle so I can just sit on the lever.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                Tubeless rims have a lip on them to keep the bead seated. The tires fit on the rim so tight and over time stick to the rim, they are a bear to get popped off the rim with just tire irons. A few minutes with some long irons and the tire will be off the rim.
                Makes sense. Thanks.

Comment

Even tubed tires are a bugger. The rubber as mentioned will adhere to the rims and need the pressure to slip them free of the bead.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

NICE bead breaker, good buddy! Unfortunately, I don't have enough "body mass" to use Billy Rick's device and my truck sits too high to use Nessism's idea. Sooooo, as crude as it may sound, I've been putting a 2X4 across the tire as close to the bead as possible and placing a board on the driveway with one end on the concrete and the other on the board over the bead. I then use that board as a ramp and slowly back my truck up the board. The bead pops instantly. I know, I know. It does sound pretty crazy and maybe I've been lucky but its worked great the last 5 tires I've down this way.
                    Willie
                    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                      NICE bead breaker, good buddy! Unfortunately, I don't have enough "body mass" to use Billy Rick's device and my truck sits too high to use Nessism's idea. Sooooo, as crude as it may sound, I've been putting a 2X4 across the tire as close to the bead as possible and placing a board on the driveway with one end on the concrete and the other on the board over the bead. I then use that board as a ramp and slowly back my truck up the board. The bead pops instantly. I know, I know. It does sound pretty crazy and maybe I've been lucky but its worked great the last 5 tires I've down this way.
                      Willie
                      Whatever works Willie. It beats busting knuckles and scratching rims trying to do it with irons. I'm down to under 160 now so I'm not big by any means. The length of the lever means not much muscle is needed.

Comment

One could just make a secondary box frame above the tire that will accept a small bottle jack. Trap the jack between the upper frame and the rubber and a few pumps and i would think it will break rather easily.

Comment

A good sized "G" clamp works wonders and no knuckle skin loss!!!. :-)

Comment

I bring them to work and use the tire machine. I hardly work up a sweat.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I use the fender of Jim's (posplayr) Winnebago.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X