1980 GS1000G Brake problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000G Brake problems

I just bought a 1980 GS1000G, while going over it to fix the small things that my friend noticed we found the rotors look to be off a GS1000S and the brackets aren't aligned properly with the rotor. This being said it's only on the front brakes and the back brakes are aligned correctly.

Where should I start looking to fix this problem?
    I'm thinking it could either be the brackets are different between the two bikes or fork is not set properly on my GS1000G.

Also this is my first bike so I would really like to get this running soon before the riding season is over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi BerZerk,

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new G, it's a fine model, and very popular here on the forum (which means lots of good help.)

It's difficult to know exactly what you have and are describing - there were 3 different 1000S, 79 (with solid rotors), 80 and 82 (with slotted rotors). If you are describing 79 solid disks, I don't know if there was a change in rotor size from 1979 to 1980, but others here would. So which 1000S rotors are you trying to describe? Pictures would be very helpful.

Second, are you confident you have the original set of forks? Again, pictures would be helpful, but you can also look at the gallery for your year and model to confirm whats on your bike. Can't quite follow that the caliper isn't aligned to the forks.

Third, alignment...these are floating calipers where one piston is moving, so the caliper moves slightly as brake pressure is applied to enable both the inside and outside brake pads to contact the rotor and do their job.

(The easiest way to post many pictures is through a photobucket account using the img code link.)
    Scott
    1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
    1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
    1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
    2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate :) 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BerZerk View Post
      I just bought a 1980 GS1000G,

the brackets aren't aligned properly with the rotor. This being said it's only on the front brakes and the back brakes are aligned correctly.

Where should I start looking to fix this problem?
      I'd start by making sure the wheel spacers are in their proper order.

Last edited by rustybronco; 08-17-2012, 08:31 AM.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
      X