MDI shocks with Progressive springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MDI shocks with Progressive springs

I have a set of 14" Progressive shocks on my bike now. Too long and they leak a little. I have a set of MDI shocks with low miles on them. Is it the MDI springs that makes them so stiff? Can I put the progressive springs on them? Do they fit? Anyone know before I measure and take them apart?

Hi,

I've never read of anyone here changing the springs on their MDI shocks. I have a pair of those and they are sprung very stiffly. If I were in your shoes I would do it just because I could. It might work out just fine. Let us know. Thanks!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well, took apart one of each tonight. If I had just compared them side by side I would have noticed that the shock bodies are different diameter. So, the bottom of the progressive spring is too big around for the adjuster on the MDI.
      But by taking apart my Progressives, I found out that the damping is wasted. Which would have been hard to tell with the spring on.

Comment

You could just buy new shock bodies for the Progressives.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Aren't Progressives rebuildable?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

No, they arent rebuildable. I plan on buying new shock bodies, just have to wait til I have more $. I am not sure but I think these springs are the standard ones, I was running them on the second step of preload and I weigh about 220.
            The damping on the MDI shocks isnt excessive, too bad the springs are so stiff

Comment

Can't you heat or shorten (remove) a portion of the MIDI's coil to soften the spring rate a wee bit?
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
              X