• This forum allows conversation on non-controversial topics, therefore no politics or religion. "The Campfire" is an area meant for casual, civil discussions. Deliberate anti-social activity including personal insults, profanity, pornography, racism, threats and purposely inflammatory posts may result in suspension of forum access or possibly a permanent ban from GSR.

    The words insight and incite are pronounced the same. But one of them will get you banned and the other will not. Before hitting the Submit button be certain which of the two better describes your post.

  • Required reading for all forum users!!!

    Welcome!
    Register to access the full functionality of the GSResources forum. Until you register and activate your account you will not have full forum access, nor will you be able to post or reply to messages.

    A note to new registrants...
    All new forum registrations must be activated via email before you have full access to the forum.

    A Special Note about Email accounts!
    DO NOT SIGN UP USING hotmail, outlook, gmx, sbcglobal, att, bellsouth or email.com. They delete our forum signup emails.

    A note to old forum members...
    I receive numerous requests from people who can no longer log in because their accounts were deleted. As mentioned in the forum FAQ, user accounts are deleted if you haven't logged in for the past 6 months. If you can't log in, then create a new forum account. If you don't get an error message, then check your email account for an activation message. If you get a message stating that the email address is already in use, then your account still exists so follow the instructions in the forum FAQ for resetting your password.

    Have you forgotten your password or have a new email address? Then read the forum FAQ for details on how to reset it.

    Any email requests for "can't log in anymore" problems or "lost my password" problems will be deleted. Read the forum FAQ and follow the instructions there - that's what we have one for...

  • Returning Visitors

    If you are a returning visitor who never received your confirmation email, then odds are your email provider is blockinig emails from our server. The only thing that can be done to get around this is you will have to try creating another forum account using an email address from another domain.

    If you are a returning visitor to the forum and can't log in using your old forum name and password but used to be able to then chances are your account is deleted. Purges of the databases are done regularly. You will have to create a new forum account and you should be all set.

Another bike in the garage (BMW)

trevor

Forum Guru
Past Site Supporter
I've always loved the look of these bikes....1981 R100RS. One came up for sale 10 min from my house.
Guy in his 70s said he hasn't really ridden it in 6 years....has owned it for 14 years...bought from perhaps the original owner.
Needs the usual stuff...tires, fluids etc and I'm sure I'll find other things needing attention.
Has the original BMW tool kit, hand tire pump and Krauser bags that are like new!
Told my wife I was going for a little ride before dinner....she ended up texting me later "where are you"? Lol
Wow, really looking forward to getting to know this beautiful bike.
Of course it was designed by famous car/bike designer Hans Muth who later famously designed the Suzuki Katana, which I have as well now. :)
The owner I bought it from has an awesome Truimph as well....he's coming to my safety meeting Friday in it.









 
I don’t often use the term “pretty” to describe a motorcycle. But that’s the adjective that fits. The black/red fade paint job is 🔥 Is that factory paint?
 
I don’t often use the term “pretty” to describe a motorcycle. But that’s the adjective that fits. The black/red fade paint job is 🔥 Is that factory paint?
Yes, factory.
I cleaned it up today...polished etc for pictures to apply for a collector plate....add it to my multi plate....
How the Factory Smoke Effect Was Applied
    • Spray Gun Application: The iconic gradient fade was sprayed using an automotive spray gun by skilled painters. [1, 2]
    • The Technique: The base color (like Candy Red or Silver/Graphite) was laid down first across the entire piece. Then, a translucent dark "smoke" or candy-black/dark-blue/dark-green fringe was carefully feathered and faded in around the edges and perimeters of the tank, fairing, or fenders using controlled gun pressure, distance, and fading sweeps. [1, 2, 3]
    • Hand-Painted Pinstripes: While the smoke gradient itself was sprayed with a gun, the signature pinstripes (such as gold or contrasting lines) overlaid on the scheme were traditionally hand-painted by specialized pin-stripers using a long-haired sword striping brush. [1, 2]




 
I'd have another R80RT tomorrow, if they were still cheap and available.
<told this before, but here ya go>
I replaced the barrels, pistons, heads and carbs from a broken R100, but left the original gearing in place.
That thing turned into a stump-puller.
Eventually it ran a big end, but the bind I was in, I had no means of fixing it, so chopped it in for a horrid bike to keep going.
 
I'd have another R80RT tomorrow, if they were still cheap and available.
<told this before, but here ya go>
I replaced the barrels, pistons, heads and carbs from a broken R100, but left the original gearing in place.
That thing turned into a stump-puller.
Eventually it ran a big end, but the bind I was in, I had no means of fixing it, so chopped it in for a horrid bike to keep going.
I got a very good deal on it.....$3200
 
Back
Top