ukjules
Forum Sage
A problem for you guys - loss of power. Fuel issue suspected ? On gs550e 4 cylinder
After fitting a new starter motor the bike has run fine until ran it down to almost reserve and started onto 3 cylinders .
(I am sure it was just 3)
Status at riding:
Very smooth running for 30 miles but then lost power and felt like on 3 cylinders when nearing reserve . Filled up at a garage , no change but got home another 20 miles no probs with loss of power.
Charging system can be assumed ok as I get 14.5v running with handlebar tester.
No kinks in fuel line. Breather pipe on.
- one thing that had changed was I had to take off the fuel filter as broke so running without one for first time in years. This is the only change but was ok before this !!
Test when home:
Check plugs for spark. All good spark
Plug 3 was black !!!!! , the others were fine. This plug 3 being black is new and was not like that before.
Id say at tick over it's smooth it's when throttle up and into max that it feels likes it's on 3 cylinders .(Whatever jets do that work - can't recall )
Do I'm assume :
Off with carbs and check and clean carb 3 jets ? And don't as all know run old bikes with no fuel filter ?
Thoughts would be useful to spare me totally strippi
ng all my carbs ....
After fitting a new starter motor the bike has run fine until ran it down to almost reserve and started onto 3 cylinders .
(I am sure it was just 3)
Status at riding:
Very smooth running for 30 miles but then lost power and felt like on 3 cylinders when nearing reserve . Filled up at a garage , no change but got home another 20 miles no probs with loss of power.
Charging system can be assumed ok as I get 14.5v running with handlebar tester.
No kinks in fuel line. Breather pipe on.
- one thing that had changed was I had to take off the fuel filter as broke so running without one for first time in years. This is the only change but was ok before this !!
Test when home:
Check plugs for spark. All good spark
Plug 3 was black !!!!! , the others were fine. This plug 3 being black is new and was not like that before.
Id say at tick over it's smooth it's when throttle up and into max that it feels likes it's on 3 cylinders .(Whatever jets do that work - can't recall )
Do I'm assume :
Off with carbs and check and clean carb 3 jets ? And don't as all know run old bikes with no fuel filter ?
Thoughts would be useful to spare me totally strippi
ng all my carbs ....