boy do i have stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boy do i have stories

Well, I was heading to church about 22 miles from my house last sunday.The weather here is about 70 degrees every day right now.I decided to ride simply red(my bikes name).I had on a fleece hodded sweatshirt cause it was only about 60 degrees starting out.After 5 miles i was burning up so i decided to stop and strap the sweatshirt on the back.I went a little farther down the road and smelled something like burning rubber. I pulled over to investigate.My sweatshirt had come loose and wound itself tightly around the back wheel.Very tightly.I was screwed of course,no tools,no knife,nada.A good samaritan came by and with his knife,pliers, and scredriver and 45 minutes later we got all thepieces out.I changed my mind about church and went home.I decided to change my oil.Simple, right? I drained the oil,put the new filter on,tightened the cover, it leaked like a sieve.I said maybe i just need to tighten the nuts REAL good.Too much forearm and bam 2 of the studs were stripped and it was leaking oil real bad now,like someone was holding an oil can and pouring it on the pavement.Fast forward...2 days later i had a day off and managed to unscrew the damaged studs out,put new ones in, new acorn nuts on, replaced the lost oil, and finally no more leaks.Makes a difference when you make sure the o ring is on the filter cover.I really need someon to follow me around and smack my wrists when i put a wrench in my hand.Happy ending though, i rode today,temp about 72 degrees.All is right with the world once more.Ta Da![/b][/u][/i]
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Brain farts. They happen to the best of us.

Comment

At least there's two things you won't do again. Right?
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Hey Ron,

One of the simplest lessons in motorcycle maintenance (and don't worry, it's taken me decades to learn this, too) is NOT TO OVERTIGHTEN. If you're worried about it rattling undone, don't give it an extra twist! -- use a drop of (medium strength) thread locking glue instead.

Getting this hammered into to my head has meant that my need for Helicoils has been greatly reduced!

And O-rings are always a big help!

Mike.

Comment

Hey Ron, The next time You do Get to Church ask for Forgiveness for Mistreating Your GS! :P
          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

ha ha ha.you guys are funny.yep i need to ask for forgiveness for the things i said when i saw the studs were stipped too.I also threw away my 3 foot cheater bar.
            future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Working...
            X