Crash report, sorta.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash report, sorta.

Here's a thread in another forum about my crash last Sunday. I won't bother recreating it here, other than to summarize: It could have been far worse.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

It requires a log-in.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Aaah, couldnt get there from here....Glad you're ok though!
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Link blocked by firewall.

Glad you are still with us.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

WOW! (I'm a member).
          I'll give a short report:
          First, his 1100G with its new bodywork and full luggage (bodywork trashed).
          Second, his fancy smancy LED headlight (done for).
          Third, right bar bent all the way forward. Right front footpeg pretzeled.
          Fourth, he flew off and narrowly missed flying down a 10 foot gorge into a solid rock bottom.

Fifth, glad you made it through fairly unscathed. That could have been a lot, lot worse.

Comment

Holy Mamma! Could have been worse indeed.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Jeeze .
              Glad you're still with us old mate .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Ouch Dale, glad you are okay. I tried to read the post but like others said it requires a login.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I can't get in either, but what did you do?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sorry about the login requirement folks. I'll see if I can do a copy/paste. (My post there isn't the whole story, and I don't want to copy someone else's post, even though I did try to link to it.)

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    WOW! (I'm a member).
                    I'll give a short report:
                    First, his 1100G with its new bodywork and full luggage (bodywork trashed).
                    Second, his fancy smancy LED headlight (done for).
                    Third, right bar bent all the way forward. Right front footpeg pretzeled.
                    Fourth, he flew off and narrowly missed flying down a 10 foot gorge into a solid rock bottom.

Fifth, glad you made it through fairly unscathed. That could have been a lot, lot worse.
                    George, thanks for the summary and kind words, but I have to make a few remarks:

It's a 1000G, and the bodywork was only sorta new. The freshly dented tank was beginning to flake around the filler, so it needed painted anyway. If I have time this weekend, I'm bringing back the bed liner!

The luggage was never of much cosmetic quality anyway. And I don't mean just the color. Some new rash and a welded together pannier lid won't detract much from them. The frames do need some straightening though. Hammer time.

The LED headlight is fine. I guess if you're not familiar with the generation 7 lamp, it looks like it's cracked across the middle. The blinkers all work too, even the one with the smashed lens!

Lastly, what Jim reported as a rock bottom was really a flat poured slab of concrete. I got a good look at it when I climbed down to retrieve the visor with the tooth-mark in it.
                    Last edited by Dogma; 09-07-2013, 01:03 AM.
                    Dogma
                    --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      I can't get in either, but what did you do?
                      What did I do wrong? I was following a route on a map, and spending too much time thinking about the next turn instead of noticing that I was going into a turn with a gravel road intersecting, the day after a heavy rain. Furthermore, I was in the center track, where car traffic had not swept the invisible gravel off.

Basically, I wasn't paying attention.
                      Dogma
                      --

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                        I got a good look at it when I climbed down to retrieve the visor with the tooth-mark in it.
                        That's never a good sign....
                        Glad you are relatively OK.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Glad to hear your ok Dale.
                          I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
                          1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

From the Classic.UJM Forum:

Originally posted by RageZro
                            I cleared this with Dale before posting so not to overstep my bounds.

Got a call last Sunday from Dale that he was near Germantown Ohio and had went down. He was looking to see if I could bring my trailer to get it home as it was unrideable. He was a little adrenaline pumped on the phone but seemed OK. Upon telling Kat she got a first aid kit together and we drove up to see what we could do.

Here is some photos of the aftermath of him finding the sandy gravel that you could not see unless you were walking next to it. He face planted a road side signs pole and bent it over. This is where he was darn lucky as all he got was a chipped tooth and busted lip from it. A little lower and well... use your worst imagination.

He now has extreme cafe' style handlebars.

Foot peg and pannier damage.

Case guards did their job but the tank took a hit.

A wee bit of scrapping here too.

Such a sad look but luckily the cluster and headlight are just fine!

The approach direction to where he went down, you can barely make out the sand gravel but is about 8ft long and a foot wide at the widest point. The scrape mark at the bottom of the photo is Dales bikes mark.

Continued scrapes by the bike, he said the bike had flipped as it left the road way and there is the sign post he face planted. Thankfully he hit it in just about the best way you could and that the culverts concrete had long since gone missing or this could have been a lot worse. (Dale don't let Wendy read this). It's about a 10ft drop down into Browns creek but is solid rock down there.

His face shield that met the pole and the second photo shows where his now broken tooth hit the inside of his visor from the impact.

He has since got the tooth fixed and plans on getting the bike back on the road for our ride this month last time I spoke to him. I'm sure he'll get you guys the whole story much better than what I have here but I'm just glad that he managed to come pout of this one with such minor scrapes and bruises! ATGATT :thumb:
                            ∙ ∙ ∙ Tom Witt
                            13.Tri.Tiger.800 13.Suz.Wee-Strom 09.Kaw.KLX250 00.MZ.Skorpion 98.MZ.Baghira 86.Honda.CH250
                            PARTING OUT: Suzuki 77-82.GS750 81.GS550T 85.GS550L 81.GS650GL 82.GS650E 80.82.GS850G

Comment

You walked away and the bikes repairable. All in all I'd say it was a good day.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                              X