Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I really not use this Tennessee gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I really not use this Tennessee gasket?

I ordered one of the silicone valve cover gaskets from Real Gaskets Tennessee for my ‘81 GS750EX. When I ordered it I saw a note on their webpage that said not to use the gasket if you have a tach drive in your valve cover. I thought to myself “well, my tach drive is on the front wheel” and ordered the gasket.

Well, I walked out to the bike to adjust the valves today and realized that I remembered incorrectly. It’s the speedo drive that’s on the front wheel and yes, there is in fact a tach drive in the front of my valve cover. Unbelievable. I’m sure there’s an appropriate saying here but I can’t think of it. Measure twice, cut once…what’s the equivalent in motorcycle world?

Has anyone used these silicone gaskets with a tach drive in the valve cover? What happens if you do?

I've always used OEM gaskets for the valve cover though I struggled at first with the appropriate torque for the bolts and squished the gasket to the point of tearing the first several times. I've always read that the Real Gaskets shouldn't be used because they allow you to tighten the cover down past the point where the tach drive spindle will perfectly align with the worm gear on the exhaust cam shaft. I believe it. Real Gasket is even warning you not to use it on this engine. My bike has the same engine as yours. Live and learn. Buy the OEM gasket from a reliable source. My local dealer always has these or can get them in short order. Have also bought from partshark.com.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 01-08-2023, 10:49 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by NCGS View Post
      I ordered one of the silicone valve cover gaskets from Real Gaskets Tennessee for my ‘81 GS750EX. When I ordered it I saw a note on their webpage that said not to use the gasket if you have a tach drive in your valve cover. I thought to myself “well, my tach drive is on the front wheel” and ordered the gasket.

Well, I walked out to the bike to adjust the valves today and realized that I remembered incorrectly. It’s the speedo drive that’s on the front wheel and yes, there is in fact a tach drive in the front of my valve cover. Unbelievable. I’m sure there’s an appropriate saying here but I can’t think of it. Measure twice, cut once…what’s the equivalent in motorcycle world?

Has anyone used these silicone gaskets with a tach drive in the valve cover? What happens if you do?
      The gears don't mesh properly and fail.
      like a differential with Mal adjusted lash sort of.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
        Did you say... possibly bring the spark plug tip far enough into the combustion chamber to become problematic??... Surely you didn't say that.
        Well is a bit deeper overall caps can't seat properly if angled types. An awkward choice of words.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Did you say... possibly bring the spark plug tip far enough into the combustion chamber to become problematic??... Surely you didn't say that.
          Yeah, I did, only based on something I think I read on the topic. Poor choice of work, certainly. Or call it a blond moment. Thinking about it, yes, sounds silly when i read what I wrote. Forgive me.
          Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 01-08-2023, 10:28 PM.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Got nothing to do with choice of words. In absolute non-awkward words, Valve cover nor valve cover gasket can ever make any inkling of a difference as how far the spark plug tip goes into the combustion chamber... Just say'in
            The tip goes in the plug cap you obtuse git.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Shoot rich, I knew it was a slip, blond moment, just had to poke a little fun.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

You two don’t need to go back and forth any more on the admitted inanity of my statement regarding the plugs. I don’t even know what I meant. I’m happy delete the nonsense from my initial reply in post 2, if you 2 (rphillips and Cipher) would go ahead and delete the rest of yours and we’ll clean up this thread for the OP.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  Buy the OEM gasket from a reliable source. My local dealer always has these or can get them in short order. Have also bought from partshark.com.
                  Your local dealer has the gaskets?! Does your local dealer live in a time warp? I dunno what all this talk is about spark plugs. But I’ll just order a paper gasket online and get rid of the Tennessee gasket. Thanks guys.

Comment

Your local dealer has the gaskets?! Does your local dealer live in a time warp? .
                    Yes, and yes……….
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Never heard of that company. They have such a few gaskets, I wonder how they stay in business?

Comment

If the tach drive goes into the head as opposed to the valve cover the Tennessee gaskets are fine.
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                          Never heard of that company.
                          Me either! Anyone used their gaskets? How do they last and are they really reusable?

Ron
                          When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                          1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                          1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                          1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I've got a reusable rubber valve cover gasket, i dont recall what brand but it's orange. I installed it during the last valve adjustment, and will be doing valve adjustment again this winter. It has been a challenge keeping the correct torque on the cam cover bolts. They work loose often and as a result it leaks quite a but from the cam cover to head seam, especially on the left side (since it leans that way on the side stand). I'm going to order an OEM gasket when I do the adjustment. I think I'll have better chances keeping the bolts tight and less leakage. Maybe I'm just using the wrong torque specs, who knows. I also don't like the orange color, it's ugly. My 2 cents.
                            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                            - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

The liter + displacement GS engines have the tack drive in the lower part of the head, so this is not an issue.
                              I've used the same Real Gasket on my GS1100G for 10 years +, because it's fully reusable. The fiber type dry up in days and can only be used once.
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                              X