79 GS1000E Engine questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS1000E Engine questions

Hi, I posted here in the past and received a lot of helpful information that got my bike running again. Alas, it was short lived, I had just redone the head gasket and camshaft(s) cover gasket as they were leaking and needed replacing. I also sprayed out the carb well. The bike started up and ran like a dream. After about 100 Miles (I rode this in a matter of 2 hours) something happened . Suddenly while coming back into town, my bike started instead of running it sounded more like a buzz almost. It had no power whatsoever and I ended up limping the last 3 miles home. I got it home (to my parents house because it was closer) and let it sit because i was in the process of moving. Finally I got a chance to come back to the bike. I completely tore down the carbs and soaked, new gaskets, new o-rings etc rebuilt them. I was having some troubles with running lean so I drilled out the main jets from 95 to 110 while I was at it because I have a 4 into 1 exhaust on the bike. I finally got the carbs finished today, put them back on the bike and now it starts and "runs" just like it did (with less popping which leads me to believe i still need bigger jets cause it still pops a little which is a totally different monster in itself. So... after going through the carbs and cleaning them to an immaculate state the bike still hardly runs... could I have burnt a valve? I just did a compression check and the compression is all over starting from left to right i got cyl 1 barely peaks at 5psi but doesnt hold the vaccuum. Cyl 2 peaks at about 50 psi but doesnt hold pressure and drops as it cranks. Cyl 3 does the same thing as cyl 1. Cyl 4 does the same thing as Cyl 2... What is the problem? If it is in fact a burnt valve, I will be calling the guy that does heads in the GS forum (Larry) tomorrow because I now live 2 hours away and cant work on it constantly. And I'm getting sick of spending all this time to no avail. PLEASE HELP!!!
    -Dali-

Any obvious signs of leakage round the head gasket area?
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Oil, but it's always leaked there. That's what got me into this whole debacle. I'm thinking (hoping not) the block might need decked... Unless my brand new snap-on torque wrench was off, and I overtorqued the bolts.

Comment

Okay, did you ever set your valve clearances?

Burning a valve would on affect one cylinder

Where did you set your carbs?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Dalisword View Post
          I just did a compression check and the compression is all over starting from left to right i got cyl 1 barely peaks at 5psi but doesnt hold the vaccuum. Cyl 2 peaks at about 50 psi but doesnt hold pressure and drops as it cranks. Cyl 3 does the same thing as cyl 1. Cyl 4 does the same thing as Cyl 2... What is the problem?
          Sounds like it's time for a new compression tester. or at least check the schrader valve in the end of the hose and the compression release near the gauge for leaks. once the pressure gauge goes up on the gauge it should rise with each compression stroke until the cylinder can't compress the air any further. it should never leak back down until you release the pressure on the gauge.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            Sounds like it's time for a new compression tester. or at least check the schrader valve in the end of the hose and the compression release near the gauge for leaks. once the pressure gauge goes up on the gauge it should rise with each compression stroke until the cylinder can't compress the air any further. it should never leak back down until you release the pressure on the gauge.
            My thoughts exactly, the scraeder valve is either bad or needs cleaning. Compression testers use a special valve, with very low spring tension. They must be free of debris. Pull the valve cover off and check your valve clearances. Check your valve timing while your in there.......Billy

Comment

Originally posted by BadBillyB View Post
              My thoughts exactly, the scraeder valve is either bad or needs cleaning. Compression testers use a special valve, with very low spring tension. They must be free of debris. Pull the valve cover off and check your valve clearances. Check your valve timing while your in there.......Billy
              Ya know, I was wondering the same thing, ill check it out next time I'm there, If my memory serves me correctly I had the same problem when I was checking a customer's compression on his car so you're probably right. Would there be any kind of correlation between the cylinders 1,3 and 2,4 being the same? shouldn't one of the cylinders be on the compression stroke, and one on the exhaust stroke at the same time?

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Okay, did you ever set your valve clearances?

Burning a valve would on affect one cylinder

Where did you set your carbs?
              I didn't check the clearances yet because I didn't take the valve cover off, could that be an issue even though it ran well at first?
              Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2010, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I didn't check the clearances yet because I didn't take the valve cover off, could that be an issue even though it ran well at first?
                Apparently you didn't clean the carbs, either.
                ... I also sprayed out the carb well.
                Just "spraying out the carb well" will not clean the carbs the way they NEED to be cleaned.

Besides, not only do they need to be cleaned, they need new o-rings, too. You can get them from cycleorings.com.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Apparently you didn't clean the carbs, either.

Just "spraying out the carb well" will not clean the carbs the way they NEED to be cleaned.

Besides, not only do they need to be cleaned, they need new o-rings, too. You can get them from cycleorings.com.

Dear Steve,
                  Please read the first post before you start telling me I didn't do things. I clearly stated in my first post the first time I cleaned the carbs, I sprayed them, the second time I cleaned them I tore them down, scrubbed, blew out, put in new gaskets, and o rings. I do appreciate everyone's help, keep it up!

Comment

Did you rebuild and reset your cam chain tensioner when you changed the head gasket? Check the cam timing. Could be a bad compression tester but you'd expect it to be bad the same way across the board. You holding the throttle wide open while doing the compression check?

As a quick check you can see if you can hold a finger over the spark plug hole while cranking WOT. Not a precise gauge but you can't hold back running PSI.

Comment

So are you saying you removed the head and replaced the head gasket and did not gap the valves when you were reassemblying it.

Comment

It's not an issue in that the clearances suddenly chamged and made the bike run bad

It's an issue in that, once you get your carbs cleaned again and adjusted, changing the valve clearances will affect your carbs, causing you to adjust them again

You don't know how well it will really run until you're sure the valve clearances are right

So, while your carbs are soaking again:

1. Check the valve clearances
                        2. Set any that are off
                        3. Put the carbs back on - set the fuel screw at about 7/8 turn out and air screw about 1 1/2 turns out - be sure to be careful turning the fuel screws in, don't break them off
                        4. Tweak the air screws for best idle
                        5, Sync the carbs
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It sounds like you will have to start the diagnosis again, a new compresion tester, check the valve clearance. Establish where you are. I don't think that a carb issue will produce a buzzing sound, but out of sync carbs will produce a popping and if you've pulled the carbs chances are they need to be balanced.
                          Drilling main jets is not a good thing to do because the holes have to be exact and accuracy at that level you can't do with a drill, each oriface will be different now. So balancing will be at best difficult and will vary due to throttle opening.
                          I don't think that a 4 into one will affect the mix (could be stand to be corrected, but not in my experience) However, air intake does, you don't mention if you have the original air box.
                          Do you know for sure that all cylinders are firing?
                          We need more information.
                          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

If you didn't release the cam chain tensioner after installing the head the bike would run fine until the chain jumps the sprocket. Thereafter the timing would be off and the bike wouldn't run very good. The chain running off the sprocket would make a "funny" noise. Take the valve cover off and take a look see.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

So, while your carbs are soaking again:

1. Check the valve clearances
                              2. Set any that are off
                              3. Put the carbs back on - set the fuel screw at about 7/8 turn out and air screw about 1 1/2 turns out - be sure to be careful turning the fuel screws in, don't break them off
                              4. Tweak the air screws for best idle
                              5, Sync the carbs
                              I hadn't checked the valve clearances, I'm beginning to think that could have been a bad thing, I'll check those but it wont be a while until I go back and get a chance to work on it again.

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                              It sounds like you will have to start the diagnosis again, a new compresion tester, check the valve clearance. Establish where you are. I don't think that a carb issue will produce a buzzing sound, but out of sync carbs will produce a popping and if you've pulled the carbs chances are they need to be balanced.
                              Drilling main jets is not a good thing to do because the holes have to be exact and accuracy at that level you can't do with a drill, each oriface will be different now. So balancing will be at best difficult and will vary due to throttle opening.
                              I don't think that a 4 into one will affect the mix (could be stand to be corrected, but not in my experience) However, air intake does, you don't mention if you have the original air box.
                              Do you know for sure that all cylinders are firing?
                              We need more information.
                              I think all four are firing because I just replaced the plugs and they're all black, our local suzuki dealer won't balance them unless I bring them in on the bike, is there anyone around Iowa that will do them off the bike? (If that's even possible?) I have the original air box and I have a uni filter for it but with it running lean i bought a paper filter to see if that would help at all, so i do have both filters. I was hoping to use the drilled jets for size purposes only, I figured if I could stop the popping then I would buy the actual size, I'm a college student, so I'm sure you can understand my financial situation. Will snap-on do anything with my compression tester such as rebuilding the valve or do I need an entire new one?

Originally posted by 2bluthumbs View Post
                              If you didn't release the cam chain tensioner after installing the head the bike would run fine until the chain jumps the sprocket. Thereafter the timing would be off and the bike wouldn't run very good. The chain running off the sprocket would make a "funny" noise. Take the valve cover off and take a look see.
                              I released the tensioner, but didn't rebuild it because it seemed to be fine still, and I actually had reset the timing a few times thinking something slipped, to no avail. So what I'm getting from you guys is I should probably sync the carbs (with non drilled "real" jets), check the timing and tensioner again, re compression test, etc... Another question, the oil that is leaking from the head gasket area, do you think it could be warped? do I need to get the block decked and checked? One more question, when setting the timing, there are two different marks (i dont remember exactly what they were cause it's been a while.) but there's the two different sides, then within those sides there are two different timing marks, what is the other one that you don't set it to?
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2010, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X