gsxr 1100 clipon solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gsxr 1100 clipon solution

for you dudes who have the gsxr 1100 inverted forks and want more length in the forks you have to loose the 1100 clipons. They don't have pinch bolts so can't be moved to the bottom of the triple.

However.... zx9 clipons are 52mm and will work. put a set on a frontend for a dude and they work great. Not sure of what yrs.. I have two sets myself so I know they work.

Gives you a direction to look anyway.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Nice........I would love to see a pic.......

Comment

Do you have a extra set for sale? If so how much?

Comment

Yeh, Chris I have two sets. You can have a set for 75.00. Bar ends not included.

have a look on my website. they are on the sales page.

Rob
        Last edited by katman; 03-19-2008, 10:19 PM.
        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

don't see em on your site....see a pair for a GSXR 750 and a 54mm pair......thats it.....where could I source the bar ends from? Dealer?

Comment

Website

Thanks for reminding me. I saw your tech info before but it was over my head. Now I see that the 91-95 GSXR 1100 forks are the longest. How do you measure the fork length (from where to where). I have a 83 GS1100ED do you know off hand how long it is?

Posplayr

Comment

Originally posted by TurboChris View Post
              don't see em on your site....see a pair for a GSXR 750 and a 54mm pair......thats it.....where could I source the bar ends from? Dealer?
              Sorry dude, typo... the zx clipons on my site are 52mm not 54mm. I corrected it.
              Last edited by katman; 03-20-2008, 11:32 PM.
              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                Thanks for reminding me. I saw your tech info before but it was over my head. Now I see that the 91-95 GSXR 1100 forks are the longest. How do you measure the fork length (from where to where). I have a 83 GS1100ED do you know off hand how long it is?

Posplayr
                That info is there too. The 1100 forks are 30.5" where the 750's are 29.5". YOu only can use the longer 1100 forks if you get some zx clipons as explained. I have one set left if you are interested.

The other issue is if you are stuffing the 1100 forks into a fairing bike. sometimes they don't fit so well. IF it is a naked ride no worries.
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

A couple more quick questions.

So the Kantana and ED GS1100's are same length forks (812mm / 32")?

If I want to retain the stock bars and get as much groun clearance as possible (with in reason) you would suggest the 91-95 GSXR 750 forks?

Also some clairification on triple T's:

>>>2002 cbr 954 triples
                  get back an inch in front length but need steering stops rewelded.

>>>>gsxr triples use '93
                  Dont gain the 1" from the drop but dont need to weld the steeing stops.

Kichigai did a nice job of restoring his original bars on his 83 GS1100ESD ; what triple T did he use. I think he was going to use the 954 but opted out at the last minute. He retained the original gauges and mastercylinder.

I found two complete 91 GSXR 750's locally (one burnt the other not running). Wondering if that would be a good choice to get the complete packages of forks and wheels. The GSXR's seem to be more expensive. I would want to go with the 180/17" rear tire but not want to have as much problem shoehorning that puppy in. I understand the earlier rims are narrower and only need the 5/8" offset drive gear (or at least minimal frame grinding).

I think I would like to figure out what would be a good complete bike and then have eveything I would need to swap it over.

Final note, the forks seem to be measured from the top of the tube to the bottom of the mounting bolts to get 32".

Posplayr

Comment

forks are measured top of tube to center of the axle.

the master and clocks have no bearing on the forks or triple.

91/95 750 forks are the same length where as the 95 1100 forks I believe are the longest. don't quote me.

a 4.5 and a 5.5 wheel have both use a 5/8 offset. same distance between the bearings. JUst the rim size is different.

If you can pick up one of those 750's it will probably be cheaper than piecing it together.

the 1100 gsxr and 750 parts are identical save the forks, triples, clipons.

Kichigai's build you will need to ask him for acurate details.

'93-'95 triples have the correct stops. '91/'92 need stops fabbed.

My stofck Katana forks are 32"

For some reason some of the 954 triples have ball bearing triples. You can buy tapered bearings off ebay for 35.00 that bolt onto the GS if the triples you end up with don't have them.
                    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Thanks Katman

I'm just a babe in the woods wih regard to the suspension swaps. With a little knowledge I could be dangerous. :shock:.

It sounds like grabbing one of the GSXR 750's would not be a bad idea; nothing gives the perfect conversion in total so I'll just have to work at minimizing he parts hunting.

Thanks again
                      Posplayr

Comment

Where can I source the bar ends from? Dealer?

Comment

Chris, I pm'd you.

you can pickup bar ends anywhere. I will check but I think these ones bolt right into the clipon. for 20.00 you can have the set I have and the throttle and grips on the bars.
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Is there any necessary spring upgrades to compensate for the extra GS weight involved? Not doing any conversion just yet, but im always looking for info on such things for the future

Comment

I always respring with 'RACETECH' springs. stock are too soft.
                              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X