No announcement yet.

Heiden Tuning Speedometer (Part #03-0748) from MikesXS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay....thanks again. So, just to be clear, does that mean that at 50mph, it's off by 5mph? And if so, in what direction? It could be something as simple as the diameter of your tires being non-standard....or could be a difference in the gearing of the speedo between what we need for our Suzukis vs. the Yamaha 650XS. Either way, it's good to know.

I've got a GPS that I can use to calibrate.

Comment

The speedo reads faster than you are going, so your example of 50mph would actually be 45mph. I have stock size tires so its def. the speedo.

Comment

Thanks again. That could ultimately make a difference on actual mileage over a long period of time. Odometer won't read the real number of miles ridden. Might have to look into that and see if there's a gear offered to correct it.

Or....perhaps it'll be right on with my bike. I've heard of differences from bike to bike....so anything's possible.

Comment

Cant wait to see the finished product!

Comment

Me, either! :-D

Patience is not something I like to practice. LOL!

Unfortunately, we'll all have to give this project time as I come up with the funds at $30 a week. In two weeks, I should have the speedo. Once it's in, I'll have most everything assembled....with exception to the tach. Then it'll take me three weeks to come up with the funds for it. So, I'm looking at 5 to 6 weeks completion time.

Sorry guys.

I'll put back for mirrors after that.....then the battery gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by Craiger View Post
              Thanks dude! Is that tach made by Heiden Tuning as well? If so and lighting is the same, I'll definitely spend $20 more bucks to get the right one.
              Not really sure who makes em. Any of em really lol. It just looks the same and has the right ratio

Originally posted by Craiger View Post
              If I were to sell them as sets, I'd have to hook up with a local machine shop to do it right as I don't want to be going above and beyond what's overlooked with scrap at work. The occasional G-job is okay, but the lasers have overhead tied into using them (a tech to setup and run the machine...plus the power consumed and the consumables themselves).

I'd have to get a quote to see if it would be worth it....and that would be based on piece-price. Not enough and price could be too high. Too many, and price could be good, but can't sell all of them.

I have a friend that powder coats. I may just have to see what it would cost me to get these done. It might look cool if they matched the bike. I don't know. I kind of like the black/chrome idea, too. Either way, I should probably have them done instead of rattle canning them.
              I would avoid rattle cans if you can. It never seems to last long :P

Looks like the LED for the turn signals is going to have to use a relay. Both wires coming out of the harness are (-) power wires. So best I can tell is throw a relay between the LED (-) wire and the (-) wires from the harness (Black & Green I think they were). and ground the LED + wire.

Comment

Originally posted by StrtLegal View Post
                The speedo reads faster than you are going, so your example of 50mph would actually be 45mph. I have stock size tires so its def. the speedo.
                Well thats a bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                  I would avoid rattle cans if you can. It never seems to last long :P
                  Thanks. I'm going to rattle can the prototype and have the next one (that will include LEDs as gear indicators) powdercoated.

Looks like the LED for the turn signals is going to have to use a relay. Both wires coming out of the harness are (-) power wires. So best I can tell is throw a relay between the LED (-) wire and the (-) wires from the harness (Black & Green I think they were). and ground the LED + wire.
                  Thanks for the info. That's good to know.

Comment

Gauge cluster is done. Got the tachometer from CRC2 and the speedo from MikesXS. Happy with both.

In addition, got some new mirrors and bar ends from jagmotorcycle on eBay. Very happy with them as well. Super fast shipping and great prices. I got the new hand grips for Father's Day.

One thing I noticed in all of this, I need to paint my headlight bezzle. LOL! Fly screen's going on at some point.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2008, 07:40 PM.

Comment

That looks great!
                      Nice work.

Comment

Thanks! I really appreciate that. I'll be adding this soon as well.

Comment

Here are some additional pics that might show how everything looks a bit better. After the fly screen, I'll be replacing the headlight/signal switch and brake master cylinder.

I have some neoprene boots on order for the oil and gas gauges. They'll cover up the white part of the gauges and hide the connections.

I really like this view.
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2008, 09:56 PM.

Comment

That’s very impressive. What inspired you to change them? Was your original broke?
                            Did you just want something custom?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Sunburn View Post
                              That’s very impressive. What inspired you to change them? Was your original broke?
                              Did you just want something custom?

Mark
                              Thanks. I had an accident and shattered the original instrument cluster.

Comment

Looking good, Craiger! You now also have plenty of room to add a clock or voltmeter, or even just the '5-function' display unit.

Tony.
                                '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                                X