Skunk Tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skunk Tail

I picked up this skunk tail (thanks Frank) in the hopes of using the chrome piece on my S project. The tail is in great shape with the exception of the underside bolts snapped off.

The chrome piece has some visible cracking, at a certain angle, under the top plastic coating.

After looking at in person, I am going to have to agree with many comments I read about these chrome pieces being ugly and useless. But, they did come with the bike.

So, if any one has had any luck removing/restoring this piece, please let me know?

If not, this tail can be up for grabs.

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
    The tail is in great shape with the exception of the underside bolts snapped off.

The chrome piece has some visible cracking, at a certain angle, under the top plastic coating.

After looking at in person, I am going to have to agree with many comments I read about these chrome pieces being ugly and useless. But, they did come with the bike.

So, if any one has had any luck removing/restoring this piece, please let me know?
    the tail piece has a lip around the underside of it that retains the chrome trim. first you need to remove the two clips off the ends, then starting on one end, carefully roll the trim off the tail piece starting from the painted outside and working towards the inside. ***now that I think more about it, I rolled it off the other end as well before removing it from the top surface. (sorry, it's been a while since I removed it.)

the inner 'trunk' is pop riveted to the outer section. drill out the rivets and you can separate the two pieces.

I have a spare trunk with good, but a bit rusty, studs on it.

Last edited by rustybronco; 01-29-2012, 11:34 AM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

It might be possible to drill and tap the broken stud m6 and put a bolt through instead.
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I think I have an inner box to replace the one with a broken stud. Just use pop rivets to attach like Suzuki did.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I picked up this skunk tail (thanks Frank) in the hopes of using the chrome piece on my S project. The tail is in great shape with the exception of the underside bolts snapped off.

If not, this tail can be up for grabs.

I think that's one of the "better" trim pieces I've seen. I don't know about ugly, but I do think they're useless. Once you get a really nice looking and newly repainted tail piece, it's when you go to put that trim ring on and look at it the wheels will start spinning in your head, should I, or shouldn't I? I decided I can always put that back on at a later day, so I left it off, indefinitely.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

As a whole, the tail is in really nice shape. My only interest in it was the chrome piece.

In the third picture you can see the small cracks on the chrome piece. They are below the protective coating.

Unless there is a method to restore that piece, I will probably not risk breaking it and see if anyone here needs it.

Comment

As a whole, the tail is in really nice shape. My only interest in it was the chrome piece.

In the third picture you can see the small cracks on the chrome piece. They are below the protective coating.

Unless there is a method to restore that piece, I will probably not risk breaking it and see if anyone here needs it.
              They do get brittle, and one of mine cracked removing it. You might do better with aftermarket door trim if it is flexible enough to make those two almost 90 degree turns.
              sigpic
              Steve

Comment

Same thing happened with mine when i tried to remove it.
                It was too brittle and the trim itself stayed intact but the "plastic" coating cracked and chipped.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The one for my S was cracked and broken, too. I super glued it back together, sanded it smooth and painted it gloss black. It matches the S paint scheme nicely and gives the tail section a nice finished look.
                  1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I had tried taking a piece of chrome stripping someone had sent me..maybe Sedelen.and putting it in boiling water to soften it in an attempt to form it around the corners. It did go on, but theres a few problems. First it cools and gets stiff very quickly and secondly, the chrome will spider web inside the sheathing. Im not gonna add anything to the tails either. Larrys paint is just too nice to cover and I like the clean look better anyway.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I guess by the sound of things, I'll be the only one putting it back on.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I may consider it IF and ONLY IF i can find some really good examples and the end tabs..short of that, they will stay plain.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                          I guess by the sound of things, I'll be the only one putting it back on.

I have one trim that doesn't look too bad, if I only had those little end pieces I might put mine back on, but I want to see how yours turns out before I even think about it.
                          sigpic
                          Steve

Comment

sedelen, you can have a couple of those end pieces if you need them.
                            Just send me a PM or E-mail.
                            With all of the good you have done for me, it is "interest".

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                              sedelen, you can have a couple of those end pieces if you need them.
                              Just send me a PM or E-mail.
                              With all of the good you have done for me, it is "interest".

Daniel
                              Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!
                              Thanks!
                              sigpic
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X