Runs but blow gas out the exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runs but blow gas out the exhaust

Ok I got a 1985 GS550L and soaked the carbs in pinesol mixed with water for 1 day and replaced the o rings and gaskets. Finally got it started but shoots gas out the exhaust and the right side exhaust are not getting hot. I really need help!!!!

Does anyone have any pictures of the carbs and how it should be installed and where the hoses should be connected? Any help would be great.

Thanks All

Originally posted by jonsgs550l View Post
    Ok I got a 1985 GS550L and soaked the carbs in pinesol mixed with water for 1 day and replaced the o rings and gaskets. Finally got it started but shoots gas out the exhaust and the right side exhaust are not getting hot. I really need help!!!!

Does anyone have any pictures of the carbs and how it should be installed and where the hoses should be connected? Any help would be great.

Thanks All
    Is fuel coming out of the exhaust on the same side that its not getting hot? sounds like the fuel isnt combusting... no spark.

Comment

I tested for spark and do get spark. I'm troubled on what to do and just about to give up. The right side which is the side thats not getting as hot when I take out the sparkplugs its wet and black and the left side is dry but black. I turned the mixtures screws 1 1/2
      /2 turn. Is that correct? Also fuel comes out both sides of the exhaust
      Last edited by Guest; 12-22-2010, 12:20 AM. Reason: Add Info

Comment

Carbs are flooding ! You have those orphaned 2bbl carbs

Comment

I agree with the carbs flooding..i wouldnt run it till i got the carbs situated correctly..cleaned, float heights checked, new orings ,etc etc..and the oil and filter changed...oil may have gotten into the crankcase. Also it would seem that if the carbs were overflowing the gas would also come out the overflows at the bottom..since you didnt mention it was i can onlyn assume that they are clogged and thus brings the rest of the carb passage into question as well...at least i would think.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. jonsgs550l,

Here are a couple of links with carb help...

Carb Specs:
            Float Height/Jetting/Tuning
            Carb Notes:
            Synchronizing/Troubleshooting/Theory

Now we'll move on to your "mega-welcome" with plenty of GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Maybe I don't get it, gas is coming out of the exhaust... as in blowing black smoke? Jets too big????

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone. No gas is coming out of the overflow at all only out the exhaust when I roll the throttle and blowing out white smoke not black. Guess I'm going to have to take the carbs off again and reclean everything. All the orings has been replaced already but didnt check the float ht, so will do that and valve clearance.

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone. No gas is coming out of the overflow at all only out the exhaust when I roll the throttle and blowing out white smoke not black. Guess I'm going to have to take the carbs off again and reclean everything. All the orings has been replaced already but didnt check the float ht, so will do that and valve clearance.
                  I would check valve clearances before proceeding. Be sure and orient the cam shaft end slots properly when doing the valve clearances.

If your carb passages were blocked, no fuel would be flowing. Your problem is too much fuel is flowing. I would check float heights. After that, your vacuum settings are wrong. The problem is the slides are not raising enough, intake velocity is excessive causing too much fuel being drawn into the cylinders for the amount of air. The result is black, fouling plugs and raw gas exiting the exhaust. Put a set of vacuum guages on the carbs and synch them. That may not cure all your problems, but I suspect it will cure about 90% or more of them.

Earl
                  Last edited by earlfor; 12-23-2010, 04:00 AM.
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Took my carbs apart again today and noticed the side thats been blowing out gas through the exhaust is missing a pilot jet. Will that be the reason why its blowing out gas through the exhaust?

Comment

Took my carbs apart again today and noticed the side thats been blowing out gas through the exhaust is missing a pilot jet. Will that be the reason why its blowing out gas through the exhaust?
                      Are you joking?
                      Last edited by Nessism; 12-26-2010, 01:53 PM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

uhhhhh...we're all glad to help, but, that's not a GS in your signature......

Comment

No I'm not joking about not having a missing pilot jet in one carb. The bike in the picture is my 00 Yamaha Roadstar 1600. Will change it to my GS550L as soon as I get all the problems worked out. Thanks all for you help.

Comment

... the side thats been blowing out gas through the exhaust is missing a pilot jet. Will that be the reason why its blowing out gas through the exhaust?
                            Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            Are you joking?
                            No I'm not joking about not having a missing pilot jet in one carb.
                            Yes, that is a VERY GOOD REASON that you have a little "extra" gas going through the engine. The stock pilot fuel jets are 35. Without the jets to block most of the passage, you probably have the equivalent of about a 300 opening. That would VERY EASILY account for the black and/or wet plugs if you were even able to get it running. Since you were apparently able to get it running, it must have been running on the other carb only.

By the way, what was your incentive to use PineSol to clean the carbs? I don't remember ever seeing that anyone had ever tried it, let alone been successful with it. Most of us (in the USA) use Berryman's Carb Cleaner Dip. It does not cost that much more than the same amount of PineSol, and is known to do the job correctly.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              By the way, what was your incentive to use PineSol to clean the carbs? I don't remember ever seeing that anyone had ever tried it, let alone been successful with it. Most of us (in the USA) use Berryman's Carb Cleaner Dip. It does not cost that much more than the same amount of PineSol, and is known to do the job correctly.

Actually I've heard alot of good things about pinesol as a carb cleaner, Its hard to find something like berrymans outside of the states, so alternatives must be found! Also, it leaves them smelling nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X