Carb removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb removal

82 650L I need to remove the carbs. I've got fuel to the carbs, but she won't fire up. She fires up fine with a good dose of either. I removed the airbox that the igniter is attached to,..very tight! But I'm at a loss as to the plastic piece that attaches to the inlet of the carbs. The frame seems to have it locked in place. Can't move it backwards or sideways. I checked the service manual,...no mention of how to remove the carbs. Any help would be appreciated. Y'all stay safe in these crazy times! PS, this forum will not let me reply to anyone. I have to post a reply at the top of the thread. Thanks

Wanna post a pic or give more details about the function of this "plastic piece"?
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Actually, the ignitor and r/r are mounted on plate on bottom of air filter box....the air box (the thing that actually connects to carb inlets) is different. You need to unbolt air filter box from frame and push aside wiring in order to slide back the air filter box and the air box after removing the 4 clamps on carb inlets ....1/2 inch is a big deal here. Once this is done, you can loosen clamps on carb exit and slide carb rack back..1/2 inch is still a big deal here! Please take pics first so you can refer to them later when reconnecting stuff. Don’t be surprised if you learn new languages to curse in.
      Yes, it’s no fun, so best to do it just once.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Scroll down in this section and read timebombprom’s thread....he’s working on 650 carbs too.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Buffalo, Tom corrected me here.. I removed the"filter box", But I'm having trouble with the air box.

Comment

Originally posted by abaton6 View Post
            Buffalo, Tom corrected me here.. I removed the"filter box", But I'm having trouble with the air box.
            Ok, I never had a 650, but I had a 550. Each is different. I'm working on my own 1100G today, big bikes have more room and I have no problem sliding the airbox out so I can pull the carbs.
            Don't get frustrated, the factory engineers left way to do things, we just have to figure out what.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Couple pics of what is vexing me.Bike carb1.jpg

Comment

anotherbike carb2.jpg

Comment

There is just enough room to move the airbox back, and disengage it from the carbs. You won't be able to remove it, but you'll be able to wiggle it into a position that allows you to pull the carbs backward, and then sideways. Obviously you need all clips loose, and all cables, fuel lines etc disconnected.
                  1980 GS550ET

Comment

Holy crap!

Comment

Pop out the fender mounting posts and slide the fender backwards slightly to give you some extra room. Disconnect the airbox from the frame bolts (top and side) and let it sit free. Throw a cargo strap through the front wheel and attach each end to the center stand to keep the bike from moving forward. Loosen the clamps on both the intake boots and the airbox side being careful not to completely unscrew the screws. Be sure to disconnect the choke and throttle cables. Pull the carbs straight back out of the intake boots and angle up so the carbs slide out of the airbox boots. Once it is free then slide the carbs out the right side of the bike.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The fender is about 6-7 inches away from the airbox. Maybe you're thinking about another bike. There is no way this airbox can be moved back more than maybe a half inch. There is a protrusion at the back of it that is between the frame tubes. If I try to move it to the right, the front is dragging against the carb intakes. Looks impossible, but I'll work on it. It must come out. I've had thoughts of a hacksaw,....must not go there.

Comment

Idea.

What about individual air filters? Get rid of the air box?

Comment

Personally I wouldn't. You'd be swapping one problem for a whole new set of problems. What size jets? Adjust needles etc. Some have the knack and the patience for that sort of work though.
                            1980 GS550ET

Comment

Your 650 is similar to my 550 and that little bit of movement will help.

As far as getting rid of the air box, how much time do you have to constantly remove the carbs to troubleshoot any running problems? Search the archives here and it's going to be pretty evident that you'll do a lot of work for it.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X