Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs650l noise from batteries?

hi,
    i have an 82 gs650l and every time i turn the key, the lights and everything would come on, but then there would be this high pitched electrical beep noise coming from where the battery sits.

does this happen to anyone else? is this normal?
    thanks

Lift the seat to see if a previous owner installed something that should really be removed.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Turn signal alarm maybe? Is it loud or muffled?

Comment

Originally posted by 82gs650l View Post
        hi,
        i have an 82 gs650l and every time i turn the key, the lights and everything would come on, but then there would be this high pitched electrical beep noise coming from where the battery sits.

does this happen to anyone else? is this normal?
        thanks
        This is a warning to do the required maintenance or face worst noises!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

i took the seat off, and theres this little white box about an inch big making the noise.

what required maintenance are you referring to? ive changed all the fluids recently. although i have noticed the oil light doesnt come on anymore. could that be it?

Comment

Well, in the stock bike, there is no "little white box about an inch big".

See if you can follow the wires to see where they are connected. That might give you a clue to why it's there.

When does it sound? In other words, what happens that turns it on, what happens that turns it off?

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

You sure that white box isn't the fuse box?
              Just makin sure, cause mine is clear, but the plastic is so old, it kinda looks white, lol.

Cause if so, that's definitely supposed to be there!

But there still should be no noises.
              Maybe you got some fuel noise or air noise just below that, or something strange that just happens to be hitting a strange frequency, lol.

Comment

How about posting either a picture of this little white box or even a video of it while it's making the noise? Might help us pin it down a little.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  When does it sound? In other words, what happens that turns it on, what happens that turns it off?

its on whenever the electrics are on (running lights, etc) and it wont stop until all the electrics are off.
                  by the way its not a stacatto its just a continuous 'beeeeeeeeeeeep'

its not the fuse box. its aft of the fuse box, and a lot smaller. and it is definitely the thing thats making the beeping.

Comment

Well, it's definitely NOT stock.

Have you followed the wires yet?

It appears to be a simple piezoelectric buzzer from Radio Shack, but it's intent eludes me.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Is it just me or does the number 2 from the left fuse look like it might be busted? The picture makes it look like it's bent inside the glass tube.

Just grasping at straws here but could that thing be some redneck way of saying a fuse has gone bad? Like maybe the break in current causes that thing to beep?
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Homemade alarm of some kind? Does it go off with the side stand up? Maybe when the engine is running?
                        Bad turn signal beeper? Try unplugging the flasher relay and see if it stops beeping.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                          Homemade alarm of some kind? Does it go off with the side stand up? Maybe when the engine is running?
                          Bad turn signal beeper? Try unplugging the flasher relay and see if it stops beeping.
                          It was suggested 27 hours ago that he follow the wires to see where they were connected.

Just can't help those that don't (or won't) help themselves.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            It was suggested 27 hours ago that he follow the wires to see where they were connected.

Just can't help those that don't (or won't) help themselves.

LOL, I just want to know why it's there.

Comment

ill see if i can follow the wires after work today. im not very experienced and have been skeptical about taking the bike apart any further until the service manual i bought online gets here, which usps tells me should be next monday.

cowboy - ill test the fuses after work today.

Comment

Working...
                              X