how many alternator amps??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how many alternator amps??

Just a quick question whilst I locate my workshop manual, does anyone know how many AMPS the standard GS750B alternator and shindengen rectifier puts out please??
    Regards,
    Andy
    Queensland Australia

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_PIC00011.jpg
    GS750B (1977)
    Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

14AH
    more words added.

Comment

Originally posted by GS750 View Post
      Just a quick question whilst I locate my workshop manual, does anyone know how many AMPS the standard GS750B alternator and shindengen rectifier puts out please??
      Assuming a 200 watt stator output, figure 9 amps for each of three stator wires- this would let the R/R send 15 amps of DC current into harness.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Assuming a 200 watt stator output, figure 9 amps for each of three stator wires- this would let the R/R send 15 amps of DC current into harness.
        I have measured about 14 amps on my bike (GS1100E). It is load dependent as well as much as a function of the stator and R/R (measured at the R/R output).

And please nobody start trying to do 3 phase calculations

Comment

The Factory Service Manual says 14AH. That is where I got the info. I'm just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            The Factory Service Manual says 14AH. That is where I got the info. I'm just sayin'.
            AH stands for amp hours; that is a measure of battery capacity. It will produce 14 amps for 1 hour (subject to some voltage tolerance)

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone, I figured it was around 13-16 amps

I am just playing around with some custom wiring looms at the moment and I wanted to make sure I dont under (or over) estimate my needs.

I am installing a dual relay to the high and low headlight beams but I have also converted my instruments and indicators + stop/tail lights to custom made LED board's as well

Just wanted to be certain
              Regards,
              Andy
              Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)
              Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

with an operating rectifier regulator I doubt you ever see more than 7 D.C.Amps peak right after electric starting and then it will taper off to 3~5 as the battery resaturates.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                  with an operating rectifier regulator I doubt you ever see more than 7 D.C.Amps peak right after electric starting and then it will taper off to 3~5 as the battery resaturates.
                  You can be a doubting thomas, but I have posted the current clamp measurements and 14 amps at 5K RPM is about right. 11 amps at idle.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    You can be a doubting thomas, but I have posted the current clamp measurements and 14 amps at 5K RPM is about right. 11 amps at idle.
                    Actually, I am the doubting thomas. 15 amps per stator lead seems very high- Are clamp on meters accurate at 400 cycles frequency? According to Mr. Tesla, P = 1.732 I V ( where I is line current, V is voltage between stator leads, and P is power), so your stator is pushing out about 350 watts if you have 15 amps and 14 volts? double wow!
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      Actually, I am the doubting thomas. 15 amps per stator lead seems very high- Are clamp on meters accurate at 400 cycles frequency? According to Mr. Tesla, P = 1.732 I V ( where I is line current, V is voltage between stator leads, and P is power), so your stator is pushing out about 350 watts if you have 15 amps and 14 volts? double wow!
                      I can see why you have your doubts, this stuff can be very confusing.

You should remember the KISS principle.

14 amps DC at 14.5V is 203 watts. no sqrt(3) required

Comment

Interesting article I just found:

http://www.powerlet.com/learningCenter/excessCapacity
                        Regards,
                        Andy
                        Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          I can see why you have your doubts, this stuff can be very confusing.

You should remember the KISS principle.

14 amps DC at 14.5V is 203 watts. no sqrt(3) required
                          Yeah, but at that DC output, the effective AC current in a 3-phase alternator is 8 amps - this is what one would measure if they stuck an meter on any of the 3 stator outputs. This is why 3 phase is so predominant- the overlap of the phases delivers power effficiently with less bulk.
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

boy O boy

Doubting Thomas? LOL!

LMAO 11 ampres at idle?? I can smell your battery cooking from here

What and how -- exactly --are you measuring this electrical value?
                            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                              Doubting Thomas? LOL!

LMAO 11 ampres at idle?? I can smell your battery cooking from here

What and how -- exactly --are you measuring this electrical value?
                              current clamp at the red output leg of the R/R. That measures total current out to the electrical as well as the battery.

This is old history

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
                              Last edited by posplayr; 09-14-2011, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X