Arcing, what are the consequences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arcing, what are the consequences?

Referring to my "weirdest thing" thread here, while I haven't had a chance to check further yet, it appears I may have an arcing problem. If this is indeed the case I'm wondering what sort of other issues could this cause.

I know in the case of cars, arcing would cause radio interference but do little if any other damage. I'm thinking that in the case of bikes with electronic ignitions it could be more of a serious problem.

If this is indeed the case, I wonder how long this bike may have been suffering with it and if it may have done damage specifically to the, known to be"frail ignitor". Do I need to worry about that?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers,
    Spyug

Originally posted by spyug View Post
    Referring to my "weirdest thing" thread here, while I haven't had a chance to check further yet, it appears I may have an arcing problem. If this is indeed the case I'm wondering what sort of other issues could this cause.

I know in the case of cars, arcing would cause radio interference but do little if any other damage. I'm thinking that in the case of bikes with electronic ignitions it could be more of a serious problem.

If this is indeed the case, I wonder how long this bike may have been suffering with it and if it may have done damage specifically to the, known to be"frail ignitor". Do I need to worry about that?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers,
    Spyug
    Arcing I think is nothing more than a short to ground. What that could lead to if it's a plug wire, or ignition is miss firing, not running on one cylinder, maybe two. Just provide the necessary insulation to stop it. If there is the chance for any damage, it was probably already done.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

An arc generated or a voltage spike on a car 'can' have undesirable consequences. Most vehicles sensors run off a 5 volt reference. If a voltage spike should occur when the ECM (PCM, ECU...) is sampling the reference voltage the reference voltage will appear be much higher and all the values coming from the sensors will be seen as low because of it. This use to be a problem with some aftermarket starter solenoids that didn't use a diode across the solenoids pull down coil. When you released the key from the start position, the ECM would sample the voltage just as a spike was being dumped on the B+ line. Sometimes she'd run good and other times not so good.

There's other problems an arc could create as well.
      Last edited by rustybronco; 04-02-2012, 01:21 PM.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Unless it's arcing dirctly onto the ground to the ignition I don't think this would cause an issue if repaired.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X