Still no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
    Jumping the contacts shows that solenoid is connected to starter motor and battery AND is passing juice thru. Now you have to detrmine why the trigger wire (green/yellow from starter button) is not activating solenoid. Put your test light probe on trigger wire connection - should light up when you press button (and ignition, kill switch and clutch safety switches are on). Make sure the solenoid frame has a good ground to frame.
    I had a small wire that got really hot and actually melted the jacket so I need to up the gauge of the wire.

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
    If you jumped it across the solenoid termenals and the engine cranked over that means the solenoid and starter motor are working. Start at the battery, to ingnition switch. Switch to start button. Start button to solenoid. It sounds like solenoid is not getting power.
    I am getting power to the solenoid, confirmed via test light.

Comment

If you jumped it across the solenoid termenals and the engine cranked over that means the solenoid and starter motor are working..
      Actually that is incorrect. This test shows that the battery is connected to the battery side of the solenoid and that the starter is working. It is not a test of the solenoid itself.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        Actually that is incorrect. This test shows that the battery is connected to the battery side of the solenoid and that the starter is working. It is not a test of the solenoid itself.
        Agreed.

If you need a meter, head to Harbor Freight and get one for $3. They also have coupons for free meters in the moto-mags sometimes (I have a stack of these free meters I issue to meterless riders when neccessary).

Some test leads would also be very helpful for testing the solenoid.

This is just a WAG, but does the metal plate where the solenoid mounts have a good ground? It's rubber-mounted and must have a ground wire.

If it does not, the solenoid will not work or will be intermittent. I've seen this more than once.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

So the solenoid is Bad? If there is power on the battery side and power on the starter side, from the starter button. But no spin from the starter when the button is pushed.... But the starter spins if you jump across the terminals. Does your bike fire up and run when you jump it across the solenoid terminals?
          [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
          Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

To test the solenoid you need to pull the small wire that connects to the starter button and put a voltmeter on it. Press the starter button. If you get 12V then the solenoid is bad. (this is what tom203 stated earlier.) If you do not get 12V, you need to trace back to the starter button. Could be the kill switch, the starter button itself, or the wiring in the harness.
            Hope for 12V appearing; the other stuff is a lot more time and work.
            And as bwringer and tom203 stated, you need to make sure the solenoid is grounded by a ground wire.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2013, 07:55 AM.

Comment

My bike

My starter button on the handlebars was junk on my bike. What I did was run a wire from the Hot side(battery side) of the solenoid to a heavy duty starter button then to the starter side of the solenoin. So when I push the starter button I'm just jumping it across the soleniod terminals. So does it matter if my soleniod is good or bad? Its worked for years this way. I 'm not hijacking thread. Trying to understand what the soleniods job is
              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

The solenoid lets you control a large current flow with a small current flow. When you press a starter button it causes a magnet inside solenoid to bring the two big solenoid contacts together so large current can flow from battery positive to starter motor. The trigger wire on solenoid only needs about 3 amps to activate- then about 80 amps can flow to starter motor.
                If you do it your way with big switch just jumping the contacts (not using the solenoid), you run the risk of large current short circuit if your switch wiring fails.
                If you can't replace/fix your starter button, do what I do as backup system. I have a small normally open push button switch under my seat edge which I can use to trigger the solenoid in its normal fashion. This is safer than your method .
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by whenpigsfly514 View Post
                  New battery. Checked start switch with test light. Its getting power, and when the bike is switched to run the start switch then has power.
                  Here-in lies your problem, are you sure which way the switch goes for run and for stop? It defies conventional logic where up is on and down is off, on bikes flicking it down allows the bike to run and up doesn't.

Comment

The solenoid lets you control a large current flow with a small current flow. When you press a starter button it causes a magnet inside solenoid to bring the two big solenoid contacts together so large current can flow from battery positive to starter motor. The trigger wire on solenoid only needs about 3 amps to activate- then about 80 amps can flow to starter motor.
                    If you do it your way with big switch just jumping the contacts (not using the solenoid), you run the risk of large current short circuit if your switch wiring fails.
                    If you can't replace/fix your starter button, do what I do as backup system. I have a small normally open push button switch under my seat edge which I can use to trigger the solenoid in its normal fashion. This is safer than your method .
                    I will work on changing mine. Thanks..better to be safe.
                    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Agreed.

If you need a meter, head to Harbor Freight and get one for $3. They also have coupons for free meters in the moto-mags sometimes (I have a stack of these free meters I issue to meterless riders when neccessary).

Some test leads would also be very helpful for testing the solenoid.

This is just a WAG, but does the metal plate where the solenoid mounts have a good ground? It's rubber-mounted and must have a ground wire.

If it does not, the solenoid will not work or will be intermittent. I've seen this more than once.
                      The wire that grounds that plate was i think too small. It got really hot and the wire almost came out of the jacket.

So the solenoid is Bad? If there is power on the battery side and power on the starter side, from the starter button. But no spin from the starter when the button is pushed.... But the starter spins if you jump across the terminals. Does your bike fire up and run when you jump it across the solenoid terminals?
                      I have power at the switch and it moves when I change the engine kill switch. No, the bike did not start when I jumped the solenoid.

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      To test the solenoid you need to pull the small wire that connects to the starter button and put a voltmeter on it. Press the starter button. If you get 12V then the solenoid is bad. (this is what tom203 stated earlier.) If you do not get 12V, you need to trace back to the starter button. Could be the kill switch, the starter button itself, or the wiring in the harness.
                      Hope for 12V appearing; the other stuff is a lot more time and work.
                      And as bwringer and tom203 stated, you need to make sure the solenoid is grounded by a ground wire.
                      I got a new solenoid from Suzuki and wired it to a common ground I made and then I grounded the plate that I welded to the frame to hold the electronics.

Comment

.... have power at the switch and it moves when I change the engine kill switch. No, the bike did not start when I jumped the solenoid."

But did starter motor spin when you jumped solenoid?
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

.... have power at the switch and it moves when I change the engine kill switch. No, the bike did not start when I jumped the solenoid."

But did starter motor spin when you jumped solenoid?
                          Correct. It spun and tried, but no luck..

Comment

Thke a piece of wire and touch it to the small terminal on the solenoid, the one that is connected to the kill switch, clutch switch, and starter button, and see if the starter cranks. If it does, the solenoid is good and the circuits between the ignition and the solenoid have a problem.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

You were riding

1. You were riding and the bike quit on you as if you turned the key off.
                              2. Then when you tried to start the bike back up, You turned on the key pushed the starter button and nothing happened.

It just seems like it has to be a problem in one of the kill engine safety features. Kick stand, clutch lever,.... So still, when you turn the key on and hit the start button nothing happens?... I'm getting confused are we trying to get the starter to crank the engine over. Or is it cranking the engine over now, but the engine won't fire up?

( It spun and tried but no luck)
                              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Working...
                              X