Gear indicator lights failing..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear indicator lights failing..

so I've been noticing since I've converted my bike over from L to "more cool" that some of my gear indicator lights are now not illuminating.

When I got the bike last year everything worked, 1-6, and neutral light...

since I've converted the bars and moved something around, I now only have 1, 3, and 5. All the rest don't light, unless for some reason I rev the engine into redline. I don't have the neutral light indicator either.

Did I perhaps kink some wires when I was adjusting things? Is this typical to happen, sometimes they go on, sometimes they don't. Don't know where I would start to diagnose the issue....

Originally posted by A74R1 View Post
    so I've been noticing since I've converted my bike over from L to "more cool" that some of my gear indicator lights are now not illuminating.

When I got the bike last year everything worked, 1-6, and neutral light...

since I've converted the bars and moved something around, I now only have 1, 3, and 5. All the rest don't light, unless for some reason I rev the engine into redline. I don't have the neutral light indicator either.

Did I perhaps kink some wires when I was adjusting things? Is this typical to happen, sometimes they go on, sometimes they don't. Don't know where I would start to diagnose the issue....
    Your bike wants to be odd (1-3-5?) Seriously though..."unless for some reason I rev the engine" makes me think that your charging system needs to be checked. Bad grounding and loose connections from changing the bars? It's always good idea to shine up all connections and coat them with dialectic grease to better ensure good connections.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by A74R1 View Post
      sometimes they go on, sometimes they don't. Don't know where I would start to diagnose the issue....
      You would start by getting a wiring diagram for the bike.

You can also pull and take a look at the indicator bulbs.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

More then likely it's just a loose connector. You may want to check the bulbs as well, but I'm still betting it's the connector. Just follow the harness from the indicator cluster down to it next connector. Good bet the problem is there.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          More then likely it's just a loose connector. You may want to check the bulbs as well, but I'm still betting it's the connector. Just follow the harness from the indicator cluster down to it next connector. Good bet the problem is there.
          I'm thinking this is what it has to be... either that or grounding. Things starting really messing up when I put on my tail light / brake. I know the bulbs are all good cause sometimes they'll will come on, very seldom I must add.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
            Your bike wants to be odd (1-3-5?) Seriously though..."unless for some reason I rev the engine" makes me think that your charging system needs to be checked. Bad grounding and loose connections from changing the bars? It's always good idea to shine up all connections and coat them with dialectic grease to better ensure good connections.

cg
            I don't know Charlie, sometimes it seems to work more like dyslexic grease for me......

Comment

Working...
            X