Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel guage reads SUPER FULL, way to the right??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel guage reads SUPER FULL, way to the right??

OK, this problem cropped up last summer, I don't get it.
    The gauge reads way to the right, but moves to the left as gas is used up.
    So I have to rely on the trip odometer for gas level.
    Seen this before?
    82 1100G
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Maybe I'm confused, but isn't it supposed to do that?
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

You are confused…
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

I guess I am. On my fuel gauge, full is all the way to the right and the needle moves to the left as gas is used up. Can you explain with a little more detail? Is your needle way past the full mark when full?

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

What color is the fuel gauge? What type of Odometer?

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
            Is your needle way past the full mark when full?
            You now understand the issue.

Comment

If you fill to the bottom of the neck some do that. Want to calibrate the gauge to a KNOWN amount of gas. So..see what the manual says capacity is and get half that in a empty can from the pump and dump it in. Say 2 1/2 gallons is what you need to get, the needle should settle on the half mark. To calibrate the gauge you simply move the arm by bending it a tad in the direction the gauge is telling you.

If it reads low bend the arm toward the bottom of the tank. If it reads high bend it toward the top. May take a few times of removing the sender to bend the arm but youll get it sooner or later.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Would have to be the gauge itself. The tank's level sensor could be shorted and still not make the gauge read that high. The total range of the sensor is 1 ohm to 120 ohms. If you unplug the fuel level sensor does the need fall completely to empty?

Not likely but check your charge voltage. Not sure if over voltage could cause this but it's worth checking. If charge voltage check out then I'd replace the gauge.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

If the gauge works it works has been my experience. The only thing that breaks the gauge is the wire coming loose of the bimetal strip that heats and bends...which in turn moves the needle. Other than that its a very simply constructed gauge. My bet is on the sender being dirty, needs a good cleaning and a recalibration.

when cleaning be REAL REAL careful.Theres a hair thin wire that ccnnects the waffle board to the rest of the ccuitry. Beak that and its pretty much a throw away at that point.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

A dirty sender will NOT make the gauge read higher. The gauge reads highest at the least resistance. Any dirty contacts will make the gauge real lower then calibrated.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I don't care how "FULL" the gauge reads, or for how long. The only thing that matters is when it gets to "EMPTY".

It is my understanding that the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) requires the fuel gauge on airplanes to be accurate at one point: EMPTY.

I adjust my sensors so that I need to switch to REServe when the needle gets to the red portion of the gauge. It does not really matter how far to the right of that it goes when full, but I know when I will have to switch to REServe, then I have a bit of a feel for how long it has been on REServe by watching the needle drop farther into the red zone.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Got that right Steve!!!! Once i set all of mine per my described method, they all need switched to reserve about 1 needle width into the red. When the needle touches red I know i need to start thin king about fuel. Darn good feeling to know youre looking at something thats relatively well calibrated and feeding you accurate useful information.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          If you fill to the bottom of the neck some do that. Want to calibrate the gauge to a KNOWN amount of gas. So..see what the manual says capacity is and get half that in a empty can from the pump and dump it in. Say 2 1/2 gallons is what you need to get, the needle should settle on the half mark. To calibrate the gauge you simply move the arm by bending it a tad in the direction the gauge is telling you.

If it reads low bend the arm toward the bottom of the tank. If it reads high bend it toward the top. May take a few times of removing the sender to bend the arm but youll get it sooner or later.
                          Thanks Chuck. Kinda like adjusting a toilet flush valve, by bending the float bowl arm?
                          This was the way I figured it could be fixed.
                          Funky how it went so far off, just sitting in the garage.
                          Yeah Steve, when the needle drops to Full, this tank is empty. So I have to rely on the trip odometer.
                          Maybe I bent the arm when I siphoned the tank some time?
                          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-09-2015, 08:57 PM.

Comment

There are 3 little bent over tabs that hold the cover on the senders guts. Take the cover off and youll see theres a graduated wire wrapped board and a slider that rides up and down said board when the arm is moved. What I do is take a tooth brush and some carb spray and clean the slider and board..but like i said watch out for that hair thin wire.

I also like to take a pair of pliers and bend one of the rests for the arm out of the way so the slider will drop free of the board. I give that slider a bit more of a bend as to make sure its getting a good positive contact all the way. set the slider thing back on the board and rebend that rest tab thing back into position.

Then proceed with some recalibrations.

Comment

You have probably sorted this all out by now but one poster on this thread has alluded to the problem that I had; with a busted regulator/rectifier and a battery being overcharged at say 15.5 to 16 volts then the fuel gauge reads off the scale to the right and pretty much fails to come down when the tank empties. Along with the headlamp blowing, this is a good sign of overcharging. Your battery will be boiling at this point.

Greetings
                              Richard
                              sigpic
                              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
                              X