what is the thickest oil we can use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the thickest oil we can use?

im looking for the thickest oil that wont hurt are bikes gs850gl the rotella seems 2 thin i put it in and got a small leak. the oil i had in it, i had no problem with so any ideas as far as the oil weight i can use ?

Did you use the Rotella T6 (0w-40) or the Rotella T (15w-40)?

I have heard that synthetic oils can cause leaks due to their superior cleaning power.

EDIT: Sorry, T6 is 5w-40
    Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2010, 10:51 AM.

Comment

20W-50 is okay for the summer.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
        Did you use the Rotella T6 (0w-40) or the Rotella T (15w-40)?

I have heard that synthetic oils can cause leaks due to their superior cleaning power.
        T6 six is 5w40 not 0, I've got four gallons in the garage and I just started running it in the GS750. Seems happy so far.

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
          T6 six is 5w40 not 0, I've got four gallons in the garage and I just started running it in the GS750. Seems happy so far.

/\/\ac
          Checked my jug and you're absolutely right, I must be getting old.

Comment

Jtrip, are you wanting to go as thick as possible? The stock filler cap recommends 10W-40, IIRC. That's what the engine's pump, bearings, etc. are designed for. A little thicker won't really hurt, but it will rob you of some power and give it back as heat.

Is there a problem you're trying to solve with heavier oil?
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              If so, solve that problem. Dont use thick oil as a band-aide. On a cooler day (yes, someday it may happen) thick oil wont circulate as well during start up when your engine needs lubrication the most.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

It's a GS, it will run on anything. Maple syrup, squished bananas, even a good stout beer will work fine for a while.

*disclaimer, do not attempt to use stout in a 1980 - 1982 GS750.
                Last edited by tkent02; 08-10-2010, 12:53 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  a good stout beer will work fine for a while.
                  I get it ! Sacrifice one beer so you can ride to the store to get oil.....and more beer !
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                    Yep, there seems to be:
                    Originally posted by jtrip View Post
                    ... the rotella seems 2 thin i put it in and got a small leak. ...
                    If the engine leaks, don't plug it up with thicker oil, replace the gasket.

Think of the small clearances inside the engine, like the camshaft bearings. They rely on oil flowing through there to ensure proper operation and long life. If you go too thick on the oil, it won't go through those small passages and you will destroy your engine.

But, to answer his question, the manual suggests 10w-40 for most temperatures in which the bike will be operated, but allows 20w-50 if the temps don't get under about 50 degrees F.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My 2 cents:
                      I ran 20w50 for a while and found that my clutch was more likely to slip with heavier oil. I just run 10w40 dino oil now and change it often.

Comment

The 15/40 Rotella dino Oil will work Fine.. $12 gallon at wal mart. I use it in my 850 No problems, no leaks going on 46K miles & never been apart other than valve adjust. You can use 20/50 if you need to It will require that you extend you engine warm up time. Otherwise the clutch drags with the heaver oil. 0-40 is probably energy conserving oil NOT RECOMENDED
                        Conventional 20/50 WILL NOT cause the clutch to slip

Comment

I'm currently running dino style 20w/50 race oil. Works fine in mine at the temps we've been getting around here lately (75-95deg F). It does require a slightly longer warm up time for the clutch.

Comment

well i have been using the t6- 5w40

out here the temps have bee around 78 at night and like today 99 for the high . so 15w40 wouldn't hurt with the temps that high .

im really not having a problem with it i cleaned the motor and put the T6 5w40 in it and noticed to was leaking now when before i changed the oil never had a problem with a leak i dont know if it is thinner oil that helped with the leak or washing the motor but i will put the thicker oil in it and see how that works . to tell yall the truth im kinda scared to start pulling parts off there motor never done anything like that and really dont have anybody around here to help if i get in a bind any of yall live close to lexington ,tn if i need help lol

Comment

Where exactly is the leak coming from? Sounds like a bad gasket and your cleaning and oil change just unplugged a hole that was already there. If it is head gasket not a problem to change...just going to cost you a bit.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X