Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork oil, need input.(gsx400e)

1982 GSX400E(Z), Canadian model.

Need fork oil quantity, both left and right. Getting conflicting numbers dependent on where I look. One service book states 187 cc left, 165 cc right. Have a owners manual for 1983 model that is completely different. Maybe someone has a 1982 owners manual?

Currently 150 cc in them now. Where I got that figure has escaped this feeble mind. Forks are mounted but easy to fill if I remove handlebars.

TIA.

Oil volume is not overly critical as long as enough oil is used to cover the damper passages. Beyond this the amount of oil affects the amount of trapped air in the fork leg, with more oil meaning less air, and thus during compression the smaller air passage will increase in pressure more than a fork with more air.

If you remove the springs and compress the forks all the way, how far from the top of the forks is the oil? 6-7 inches is a safe number.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

If you remove the springs and compress the forks all the way, how far from the top of the forks is the oil? 6-7 inches is a safe number.
      This distance must be identical on both fork legs, the exact quantity of oil it takes to do this is of no concern.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Looking for a cc meausurment as I won't be pulling the forks off and/or removing the springs. According to my cup I'm off 1 1/4 oz on one side and a little over 1/2 oz on the other if reading the proper book.

Thankss guys.

Comment

You don't need to remove the forks to measure oil level.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            You don't need to remove the forks to measure oil level.
            I understand this. All I am looking for is the quantity, in cc, per tube as stated in the first post. Not rocket science here.

Comment

I've always used 150cc of 15wt; seems to work. The factory suggests a 50/50 mix of 10w30 and ATF, but maybe that's why the magazine tests whined about the mushy forks.

The factory GSX manual says 148ccs. They also state the 'oil level' as 198mm - presumably from the top with the spring out and the leg compressed.

Sounds like you're just about ready to go for a spin….??
              '82 GS450T

Comment

Again, the quantity is not important, the level is. Not rocket science here.
                Last edited by tkent02; 06-13-2016, 07:27 PM.

Comment

umm. I've been tricked by this bike before. It's a little different than my '81s. The Haynes has a picture of your bike on the cover and an addendum describing differences between your bike and earlier models (my bike)

From the Haynes manual =GSX models EZ,ED the capacity is 178 cc (6.0 us fluid oz) each leg
                  oil level (EZ,ED) is 131 mm

also recommends 15w fork oil and 7psi air pressure
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-13-2016, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
                    I've always used 150cc of 15wt; seems to work. The factory suggests a 50/50 mix of 10w30 and ATF, but maybe that's why the magazine tests whined about the mushy forks.

The factory GSX manual says 148ccs. They also state the 'oil level' as 198mm - presumably from the top with the spring out and the leg compressed.

Sounds like you're just about ready to go for a spin….??
                    OK, 150 is what I put in. (Still don't know where I came up with that) Shop book (Haynes) is different then owners manual. (For 1983 model)

Owners manual (1983) says 206 cc for left, 186 for right. (Canadian model) Quite the difference.

This is where the confusion comes in. Currently no air in them so I don't know what your opinion is of this. Calls for air however.

No, not close. Busy times here as the other half went into renal failure and is on dialysis. Keeping up with the house, shopping and three visits a week leaves little time.

Carburetors not done, paint not done and my "special package", which was ordered May 12, has not yet shipped. I paid for it but nothing yet. I would like to get it running off a IV bottle but won't put gas in the tank until late September.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      umm. I've been tricked by this bike before. It's a little different than my '81s. The Haynes has a picture of your bike on the cover and an addendum describing differences between your bike and earlier models (my bike)

From the Haynes manual =GSX models EZ,ED the capacity is 178 cc (6.0 us fluid oz) each leg
                      oil level (EZ,ED) is 131 mm

also recommends 15w fork oil and 7psi air pressure
                      ....and my Haynes book has different meausurment as in first post. 7 psi you say? Better write that down.

Comment

Originally posted by Runeight View Post
                        ....and my Haynes book has different meausurment as in first post. 7 psi you say? Better write that down.
                        Look in chapter 7, page 190. It's an addendum to the rest of the book. (Haynes manual)

Comment

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him think.
                            That is correct.

Back in the day do you think a Dealer would do that? I would say no. Drain in the bottom, fill the top with fresh.
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2016, 07:31 PM. Reason: text

Comment

Originally posted by Runeight View Post
                              Good luck with the air. On mine you have to remove the handlebars to add air…

I think they decided to add some air spring so they upped the oil capacity to shorten the chamber and put air caps on, but never actually thought it through. I think the original suspension setup was for a 125 lb Japanese guy delivering noodles in Tokyo in the winter.

I had my '79 set up with about 2" cut off the springs and 2" PVC spacers; 6 oz of 20 wt fork oil. Ready for Mexico.

My '82 has 15 wt 150cc and no air. It's a little low and soft, but I'm older now. When I consider that a Marzocchi mountain bike fork [same basic design] has 35psi per leg and weighs about 200 with me on it, 7 psi on a 600 lb combo won't do much. It's just a trim adjustment. Usually varying degrees of temporary.
                              '82 GS450T

Comment

Working...
                              X